Siberian Huskies not allowed??

macy.alison

So, my family and I just moved to Boise, ID. We are renting a house from a realitor and as my parents signed the papers yesterday, we noticed a list of dog breeds not allowed.

[Pit Bull, Akita, Alaskan Malamute, SIBERIAN HUSKY, and dogs that have any of these breeds mixed in] ?!

Well, my parents didn't tell them we had a husky, but if they find out, we'll either have to get rid of him, or move out and pay the rest of the years lease!! That's a lot of money....I definitely wouldn't want to get rid of him though!

But what I don't understand is why those breeds?? I mean, Shia is a good dog and he's a husky...he's just like any other dog. I guess there are a lot of huskies that could ruin a house maybe? But still, most breeds can! I know there's a Pitt Bull stereotype, but I've met so many Pit Bulls that are just the laziest things and wouldn't do anything. It just made me mad. I think they should allow all breeds and just have like a greeting with the dog to make sure they're okay for the house! Or like check ups! Not just deny a few breeds of dogs.

Well, hopefully we don't get caught. It'll be horrible if I have to get rid of Shia. Even though my boyfriend said he'd take him. But, he lives in Oklahoma right now! I'd never be able to see Shia......

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Huskies" are on some insurance companies' lists as dangerous dogs here in the US, so that may have some bearing - maybe a lot, I'm not sure. The real problem is that any type of dog that fits the Nordic-type description gets called a "husky', so if an Akita, Mal or some other breed or mix that has a double coat, curled tail and is good-sized bites or otherwise causes a problem, "Huskies" get the blame, and because Siberians fit the look and have husky as part of the breed name... Breed specific rules/legislation rarely take the individual into consideration, and blanket bans of all sorts eliminate the need to think and make decisions!

"Huskies" are on some insurance companies' lists as dangerous dogs here in the US, so that may have some bearing - maybe a lot, I'm not sure. The real problem is that any type of dog that fits the Nordic-type description gets called a "husky', so if an Akita, Mal or some other breed or mix that has a double coat, curled tail and is good-sized bites or otherwise causes a problem, "Huskies" get the blame, and because Siberians fit the look and have husky as part of the breed name... Breed specific rules/legislation rarely take the individual into consideration, and blanket bans of all sorts eliminate the need to think and make decisions!

Oh, okay. Thanks for explaining. I just really wish it wasn't like that!

Also Huskies are KNOWN to occasionally eat Doors and Sofas, Drywall, fences, furniture etc, etc, etc.

dangerous dogs pah!! my two cant bite their own dinner! but it is a very plausible explanation tho very strange when talking about houses lol.... having said that, my boss lives in a posh apartment building which used to be a warehouse. i believe its a listed building (historic) and the whole building is non smoking even in your very own bought and paid for apartment!

Good luck not getting caught ... kinda hard to not notice a husky!

In the meantime, it might not be a bad idea to work with your dog so that you can get him to pass an AKC Canine Good Citizen test. A few years ago, I had moved to an apartment briefly in which Siberian Huskies were no allowed, but they made an exception for Dakota because I was able to show them that he was CGC and that I was a responsible dog owner. Maybe that would help you, too, if you do get caught.

My parents and I are also renting a house that doesn't allow huskies. They were listed as a "vicious breed" and I believe my doxies and yorkie would have raised the rent cost as well. We just didn't tell our landlord guy that we have the dogs. He lives in California anyway and its in our contract that he has to notify us if he will come by the property....so we'd have time to hide the dogs lol. The fur may be another issue though, haha. Hopefully you can get away with having your sibe at home!

Good luck not getting caught ... kinda hard to not notice a husky!

In the meantime, it might not be a bad idea to work with your dog so that you can get him to pass an AKC Canine Good Citizen test. A few years ago, I had moved to an apartment briefly in which Siberian Huskies were no allowed, but they made an exception for Dakota because I was able to show them that he was CGC and that I was a responsible dog owner. Maybe that would help you, too, if you do get caught.

Thanks for the idea! I'll look into that!

My parents and I are also renting a house that doesn't allow huskies. They were listed as a "vicious breed" and I believe my doxies and yorkie would have raised the rent cost as well. We just didn't tell our landlord guy that we have the dogs. He lives in California anyway and its in our contract that he has to notify us if he will come by the property....so we'd have time to hide the dogs lol. The fur may be another issue though, haha. Hopefully you can get away with having your sibe at home!

Same here! We'll be notified before they come so we can hide him! Also in our contract. But it's still scary, even so.

And we have wood floors in this house, so the fur shouldn't be THAT much of a problem. It never really has been even with carpet since we get him groomed regularly AND brush him everyday for a really long time! Haha

Well, to be honest, I don't understand it either, but...........

I must play devil's advocate. What if you do get caught? Are you willing to look for another place to live or will you have to give up your pup? Personally, I don't think I could take the risk. I wouldn't have signed a lease where I couldn't have my husky.

I know that is easier said than done in many instances.

Wishing you well and hoping your family can take steps which will allow you to have your husky there with you without worry of breaking the lease as Cathy has suggested.

I should have stated that, in my case, I told them up front and asked for the exception. I thought it was wonderful that they listened, as it was a large rental company with many, many commercial properties in the area. I guess it all depends on how reasonable the property manager is willing to be. They had also made an exception on their size restriction for a retired police dog in the building next to mine. :)

Well, to be honest, I don't understand it either, but...........

I must play devil's advocate. What if you do get caught? Are you willing to look for another place to live or will you have to give up your pup? Personally, I don't think I could take the risk. I wouldn't have signed a lease where I couldn't have my husky.

I know that is easier said than done in many instances.

Wishing you well and hoping your family can take steps which will allow you to have your husky there with you without worry of breaking the lease as Cathy has suggested.

Well, you see, I had no choice in the matter of the lease. My parents don't care if I have to get rid of my dog. He is MINE only after all. If it came to getting rid of him, they'd make me do it, and I'd have no choice in that as well, I'm under 18. If I could, I would have chose not to move there. I'm scared of getting caught! But, my mom thinks we won't...ahh.

Oh also another thing. Maybe a long shot, but if you had a therapist who believes you need your dog for one reason or another, and they have signed a paper saying so, there is nothing the landlord could legally do about it. Your husky would be recognized as a companion animal. As such, he could not legally kick you out.

Kissu is a companion animal. Has been since before I got him. In a way, he was "prescribed" to me. Otherwise, we would likely be homeless as all the places we could afford said sibes weren't allowed. So got very lucky there.

Funny thing is Kissu is one of the quietest dogs here. And funny in an ironic way, my cats have caused more damage to the walls in the bathroom than Kissu has over all. :oops:

Well, you see, I had no choice in the matter of the lease. My parents don't care if I have to get rid of my dog. He is MINE only after all. If it came to getting rid of him, they'd make me do it, and I'd have no choice in that as well, I'm under 18. If I could, I would have chose not to move there. I'm scared of getting caught! But, my mom thinks we won't...ahh.

And I understand that......just explaining myself.

It is a difficult decision. Whatever the outcome, and I hope that you can keep your boy with all my heart - that said, I hope you use this experience as a life lesson for the future. While I understand that these types of very hard decisions must be made, when you become an adult, you now have this to base your decisions upon in the future.

'

By that, I mean after going through this, no matter what the outcome, I'm betting that you won't make this same decision when you are older and choosing a place to live.

And I understand that......just explaining myself.

It is a difficult decision. Whatever the outcome, and I hope that you can keep your boy with all my heart - that said, I hope you use this experience as a life lesson for the future. While I understand that these types of very hard decisions must be made, when you become an adult, you now have this to base your decisions upon in the future.

'

By that, I mean after going through this, no matter what the outcome, I'm betting that you won't make this same decision when you are older and choosing a place to live.

I agree. Oh and yes, I've learned from this. Very much so.

Thank you for your thoughts of the matter.