How far do you really walk your dog?

InterSimi

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine get walked every night - normally for about an hour with 3/4 of that being on long lead going back and forth like kites! Thy're happy with one walk a day and as I work at home most of the time they tend to spend an hour or so in the morning playing like lunes then crash out

Logan walks depends on my work and what i have planned for him each week. through the summer he was getting either 1 hour walk in the am ( 3.5 miles) or a 20 min run of the same distance. as i now live back with parents my dad enjoys taking him out so he has been on a lot more lunch time and evening walks using the nike gps thing i have on my iphone we measured a walking week through summer to be around 50 miles a week which he seems really happy with and still has tons of energy. weekends i really work him hard on the mornings if im not out with the bike we end up doing a full walk of sutton park which i think is 11-12 miles. im a bit of a fitness fanatic so i like the early starts and long walks or runs and he seems happy to pull me along the whole time!! through the winter i expect myself to maybe add an a little more but having dad around to help is great he does also having afternoons play fighting with neighbours huskies which they go for hours. each week is normally different though.

Kodah has a 4 mile run with the missus at 6am, 30min walk at 9am when we drop the kids off, 3 mile walk at lunchtime, 30 min walk to pick the kids up, 5 mile walk after the kids clubs are all finished in the evening and 10 mins for a wee before bed.

On thursdays his evening walk is replaced by a 5 mile run in harness with a friends Sibe and me resting on the scooter!

Occasionally we also run in harness a few more times a week - this will replace the evening walk each time.

JUST TO ADD - the weekend of the 12th and 13th November a group of us are walking 70 miles with the dogs in 2 days to raise money for SHCGB Welfare, so anyone wishing to sponsor us just give me a shout!

www.gobshite.webs.com is our website!

Just to point out that I am lucky enough to work from home....

This has turned out to be more interesting than anticipated. It is interesting to see how long others walk there dogs and feel normal in myself.

I do think it is a very interesting thread and makes me feel quite normal

Logan walks depends on my work and what i have planned for him each week. through the summer he was getting either 1 hour walk in the am ( 3.5 miles) or a 20 min run of the same distance. as i now live back with parents my dad enjoys taking him out so he has been on a lot more lunch time and evening walks using the nike gps thing i have on my iphone we measured a walking week through summer to be around 50 miles a week which he seems really happy with and still has tons of energy. weekends i really work him hard on the mornings if im not out with the bike we end up doing a full walk of sutton park which i think is 11-12 miles. im a bit of a fitness fanatic so i like the early starts and long walks or runs and he seems happy to pull me along the whole time!! through the winter i expect myself to maybe add an a little more but having dad around to help is great he does also having afternoons play fighting with neighbours huskies which they go for hours. each week is normally different though.

We should hook up and run Aleu and Logan together XD

Stacey xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this thread is really interesting! I've been measuring my distances the last few weeks to see the actual distances we're doing. The mornings are cooler now so Harley can do more...

We start each day with either a canicross or bike-joring of a 2.1mile Sprint up to 8miles easy.

Lunchtime walk is between 45-90mins, evening walk is between 15-45mins. I have a hiking pace with him of 14-16mins for each mile, 20-25mins mile for smell walks.

I stagger the work that he does so he doesn't overdo it and also gets him to recover. I feel its about allowing him to be a husky as best I can so its a combination of working, migration, smelling and socializing...Harley is travelling 6-12 miles a day and this distance probably won't increase much - and will probably drop back in the summer again - and it will be mental games to tire him out then...

I have noticed though that as its getting colder there are less dog walkers about - think that some dogs have fair weather owners!

First of all I apologise if this is a re-occurring thread and would appreciate a link to an existing one....

I would like to know how far people genuinely walk there dog. I have heard people boast about walking marathons etc, but sometimes I take it with a pinch of salt.

This is how far we walk Shinobi:-

Monday - Friday

Morning walk = 3km

evening walk = 5 - 6km

Saturday

One walk only = 10 - 12 km

Sunday

One walk only = 10 = 15km

Sometimes it is more, sometimes less. For example...Shinobi ate his Halti yesterday, so we cut his evening walk short (due to arm tiredness!!!)

great thread idea :)

My boys get 1 or 2 walks of 7 miles each day. It takes me about 2hrs at a steady pace.

Now winter is settling in Im hoping to add or include a steady jog (not sure how far yet, will depend how long I can keep it up for!)

In the summer they usually just get the one 7 mile walk early morning or late evening during cooler hours but during winter we often go out during the daylight hours.

Im worried that they are going to go crazy next week as Im going to devon for a week then to leeds that weekend so I wont be there to walk them :( Hoping other half will take on the walking, even if its not as far, just to get them out

we walk the girls for 30mins in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening dunno how far it is lol

how long should a 4 month old husky b walked for ? lol because some ppl say she would b ok goin on longer walks but others say she should only have short ones because shes still growing and it will affect her joint any advice ????

Wow its good to see people being honestly.

Both my partner and I work full time and are out all day from 8-6 5 days a week (on different days)

In winter its dark when we get up and get home so they don't get daily walks, I'll usually take them out on Saturday and Sunday to a dog park and to obedience training and on the days off my boyfriend has off he will take them out or for a walk

In summer they get the same but also walks when i get home from work which would be no longer then half an hour.

They are outside in our backyard during the day so spend alot of time chasing eachother around the yard

Hi, this thread is really interesting! I've been measuring my distances the last few weeks to see the actual distances we're doing. The mornings are cooler now so Harley can do more...

We start each day with either a canicross or bike-joring of a 2.1mile Sprint up to 8miles easy.

Lunchtime walk is between 45-90mins, evening walk is between 15-45mins. I have a hiking pace with him of 14-16mins for each mile, 20-25mins mile for smell walks.

I stagger the work that he does so he doesn't overdo it and also gets him to recover. I feel its about allowing him to be a husky as best I can so its a combination of working, migration, smelling and socializing...Harley is travelling 6-12 miles a day and this distance probably won't increase much - and will probably drop back in the summer again - and it will be mental games to tire him out then...

I have noticed though that as its getting colder there are less dog walkers about - think that some dogs have fair weather owners!

We noticed this last night as there was a steady drizzle, but our pack told us they needed to go....so we went. They usually get 45 minutes a day in the evening. Afraid if we take them in the morning the amount of water they will consume will destroy them during the day when we are not here. I have to wonder what kind of work those who can walk their dogs 4x a day do? And what do you do that allows you to take your dog to work with you? Ours always go together. Admittedly, we should have taught them to go alone, but that's why we have more than one, so they can be together!:lovebone::lovebone::lovebone:

I was just thinking, im a really bad husky mum thinking Oh dear ours dont get a walk everyday but then when I think about it, they come to school and back with me everyday so of course they do. Thats about 40mins a time x2 a day. They tend to tire themselves out during the day too because we are lucky enough to be able to be at home with them all the time. We dont always walk them on the weekends and if im being entirely honest they probably wouldnt get as many walks as they do if I didnt have to take the kids to school because im lazy lol.

They have a good life and arent destructive or anything so what they get must be enough.

Hi Nancy and Jeff, hope you are well!

I work for myself, and work from home - I do 14-22 hrs personal training from my home gym (Harley loves the coming and going of clients), 4-16hrs hypnotherapy from my lounge (again he loves the clients!) and 15-30hrs a week on my building surveying business (most of it is laptop work at home, only go out once or twice a week to measure or survey jobs)...no travel time means plenty of time spare to walk and exercise Harley! I get up at 6.40am each day and work Harley from 7am...

One of the main reasons for me taking him on three walks a day is that I get 2-3hours peace from him after each walk lol, so I can walk, do some work, walk, do some work, walk, do some work, veg...

We do about a mile every morning when I don't have to be in at 7am and about a mile to a mile and a 1/2 in the evenings. If it's nice and cold outside we walk longer.

They have the dog park and the backyard for their free running. They're not psycho if they don't get walked but I just generally enjoy walking with them.

I wish I had time to walk my dogs more and feel like I'm cheating them if they don't get out every day. My husband is lazy about walking them - and he's the one who wanted to get the purebred! I swear it was like talking to a child "if you get a high-energy dog you have to walk him every day..." "Oh, yes I will, I promise!"). So I trade between walking the dogs and working my horse (by the time I'm finished at the barn, come home and eat it's usually 9:30pm, so if hubby didn't take them they don't go out). I aim for weekend walks and at least 2x on weeknights.

When they do go out, I usually choose between 3 options:

6 km loop through park

4 km loop to dog park - Wyatt doesn't get to go there so he has to go home, while Scout gets 2 circuits around the park, so about 2 km of run time)

6 km of country road - Scout runs free, Wyatt on a retractable. If it's just Wyatt, he gets to run beside the Jeep, which he LOVES.

Hi Nancy and Jeff, hope you are well!

I work for myself, and work from home - I do 14-22 hrs personal training from my home gym (Harley loves the coming and going of clients), 4-16hrs hypnotherapy from my lounge (again he loves the clients!) and 15-30hrs a week on my building surveying business (most of it is laptop work at home, only go out once or twice a week to measure or survey jobs)...no travel time means plenty of time spare to walk and exercise Harley! I get up at 6.40am each day and work Harley from 7am...

One of the main reasons for me taking him on three walks a day is that I get 2-3hours peace from him after each walk lol, so I can walk, do some work, walk, do some work, walk, do some work, veg...

I figured it was mostly work from home type people that are able to walk them so many times a day. When I first adopted Andy and then Jack I was unemployed and home with them full time. I was able to take them in the a.m., then we took them together later in the evening. Eventually Jack just got to be too strong and crazy for me to do it on my own. We are fortunate to have a fenced yard and they run each othe ragged, though will always go for a walk. After a full day away, sometimes we are just knackered and prefer to watch them run and play in the yard, and they don't seem to mind. :lovebone::lovebone::lovebone: