Show Me the Woolies!!!

NewSibeMom

Hey everyone, in light of being sick, I want to smile and be educated all in one internet leap. So here's my question; does extra fur equal wooly?

The little man I'm picking up on the 24th appears to be a wooly to me and if people were willing, I'd like them to post pictures of their puppies that grew into woolies...All ages and stages, I'm doing research. Even at 4.5 weeks, in his pictures, I notice extra 'tufts' of fur on his ears that his brothers and sister didn't have, so I'm testing a theory.

Yes woolies are a 'coat fault' but now's the time to be loud and proud, and help a confused member (me) out, with some pics. So ladies and gentlemen, trod out the woolies :)

Thanks in advance! Not to mar my baby's picture, but I've circled the 'fluffy stuff' on his ears for emphasis, hoping to get some feedback on potential 'woolie-ness'

post-5962-13585990043158_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is just gorgeous. I think mine is a wooly, he has longer fur then his mum and dad and I have been wondering if he is a wooly myself or just long coated and if there is a difference between the too. Don't know if it was obvious when he was a pup.

This is Sabien as a puppy (he is the first on the left)

post-7502-13587908854055_thumb.jpg

And this his him now at the age of 10

post-5918-0-54855600-1358792139_thumb.jp

post-5918-0-28897000-1358792171_thumb.jp

post-5918-0-42131900-1358792188_thumb.jp

Oops got carried away with the photos. I haven't got any photos of him in between at different ages as we only got him last year. Wish we had more pics of him when he was young.

post-5658-13585990057702_thumb.jpg

post-5658-1358599007208_thumb.jpg

post-5658-13585990076671_thumb.jpg

post-5658-13585990078496_thumb.jpg

A couple of pics of our beautiful woolie boy Fraser about 3/4 months and recently. Never get tired of looking at pics of these amazing dogs [ATTACH=full]22148[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]22149[/ATTACH]

Linda x

Another stunner!!.Awesome!!:heartbeat: Wish I had a woolie (But maybe not cos then I'd have 5!!!):rolleyes:

Some Siberians have a coat which is longer than others, but aren't necessarily woolies - the texture is different with a wooly coat, it's much softer, and doesn't have the coarse guard hair. The first two pictures are my Tux (stolen from Brian's - Sid&BellaNTX - pictures in the Iowa Camp thread), who has a coat that is a bit longer than average, but still has a normal guard coat over it. The 3rd picture is of his littermate, a wooly, and a nephew as a puppy, also a wooly... In the 2nd pic of Tux, several people thought he was a wooly, but compare him to his brother, and you can see the difference...

post-1869-13585990137417_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585990137951_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585990138489_thumb.jpg

post-1869-1358599013893_thumb.jpg

Some Siberians have a coat which is longer than others, but aren't necessarily woolies - the texture is different with a wooly coat, it's much softer, and doesn't have the coarse guard hair. The first two pictures are my Tux (stolen from Brian's - Sid&BellaNTX - pictures in the Iowa Camp thread), who has a coat that is a bit longer than average, but still has a normal guard coat over it. The 3rd picture is of his littermate, a wooly, and a nephew as a puppy, also a wooly... In the 2nd pic of Tux, several people thought he was a wooly, but compare him to his brother, and you can see the difference...

They're softer?! I didn't think a coat could get much softer than a normal siberians...

My new goal in life, touch a woolie...

They're softer?! I didn't think a coat could get much softer than a normal siberians...

My new goal in life, touch a woolie...

It all feels like undercoat - the guard coat is a bit coarser and smoother, usually a little oily if they haven't been bathed relatively recently, which helps in shedding water in rain or snow...

Sabien's coat is really soft compared to his father's coat which feels quite coarse. His mother is short haired too but her coat is really soft too. I had always assumed Sabien was a wooly, but I am not sure now!!

Looking at the pictures you posted of him in this thread, I would say that he is a wooly. Compare how his coat falls and kind of drapes, much like Tux's wooly brother's coat. There are some Siberians that have coats that are softer - Tux's dad, Shad had a softer coat, but there was still the normal guard coat present. Here's an interesting page to look at with more pics of woolies: http://www.huskycolors.com/wooly.html (Some of you won't have seen the rest of the site from which this came, which talks about the various colors in the breed: http://www.huskycolors.com/)

Thanks for the educational portion of this thread, I was curious just what exactly the difference really was...though I still don't understand it fully, maybe in time? :confused1:

Look at the first link in the post previous to this one, and see if that helps clarify things at all...