can they get colds??

<3Jess<3

Can dogs get colds? Been googling and getting lots of different opinions anyway Bellas symptons:

~this all started yesterday morning woke up to her coughing heaps!~

*Coughing and hacking noise sounds like she's trying to coughing up flem like when we do it when we have a cold.

*Sleeping more then normal

*Eyes weeping, clear and green gunk in the morning was clear hard gunk then wet soft green gunk then afternoon clear gunk again

*May be hotter then normal (don't have a themometer so can't check her temp but she hasn't wanted to come inside all night has stayed outside in the cold which is unusual for her)

*Wanting to be near us/sooky alot more then normal this morning she was lying next to me when I woke up (sorry if it's gross =s ) came and sat next to me when I went for my morning pee =D and then followed me around all morning (which is unusal for her she is affectionate but has that husky allofness normally not always by our side)

We took her to the beach today hoping the salt water would help with her eyes clear them out abit and she was fine at the beach running around, playing with other dogs. Once we got home tho she's gone back to acting funny.

I have been giving her VIT C and trying to make her drink heaps of water she has only eatten when I have sat in the kitchen with her and hand fed her.

So to me is sounding like a head cold for a human was wondering if any one has any experience with this in dogs and any home remidies I can try.

If she is still coughing/sick in 5 days time Friday when I get paid I'm taking her to the vet at moment just trying to see if she can fight it off by herself but wanted to know what I can do to help her fight whatever this is as vet is very expensive just seeing them will be around $60/70 dollars and then paying for whatever antibiotics/drops/creams ect they want us to give her aswell.

If anyone can help I will be very thankful hate seeing my baby not well. <3

sorry if it was a bit long just wanted to cover it all

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing that came to mind was kennel cough. Best to have your vet check it out. Probably should not expose her to other dogs until you know what she has.

I believe it was last year when Sid developed a cough and it started sounding pretty bad. I took him to the vet and when I asked what it was, she said it was similar to a human getting a cold. She gave me some medication and before long, Sid was all better.:clap: If it persists or gets worse, I would get her to the vet to have her checked out.

She could pick up kennel cough anywhere she's exposed to dogs, but it's especially likely to occur in a confined space, such as a boarding facility. It's usually advised that you have them vaccinated against kennel cough when you take dogs to shows, too, though, so... anywhere! Mazz is right, if she's not feeling well, you want to keep her away from other dogs. You can give her chicken broth - healthy for humans and canines alike! This article looks pretty good... http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Home_Treatment_for_Kennel_Cough Vitamin C won't hurt - as long as you don't use too much of it. Dogs actually make a certain amount of C in their bodies, but perhaps not enough when they're sick/stressed.

She could pick up kennel cough anywhere she's exposed to dogs, but it's especially likely to occur in a confined space, such as a boarding facility. It's usually advised that you have them vaccinated against kennel cough when you take dogs to shows, too, though, so... anywhere! Mazz is right, if she's not feeling well, you want to keep her away from other dogs. You can give her chicken broth - healthy for humans and canines alike! This article looks pretty good... http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Home_Treatment_for_Kennel_Cough Vitamin C won't hurt - as long as you don't use too much of it. Dogs actually make a certain amount of C in their bodies, but perhaps not enough when they're sick/stressed.

I've just been giving her one vit c each day...And we do take her to an enclosed dog park she may have picked something up there.

Also off the site u posted bella has all the symptoms so guessing its kennel cough going to try some of the home remidies and see how we go thx that website really helped

I'm very sick at moment aswell n my asthma is terrible so the home remidies for kennel cough, vaporisers/keeping warm n dry are same things im doing so just gota try n keep the puppy with me =D

I would take her to the vet. If it's kennel cough it could be quite severe if not treated. It could also be an infection, the eyes leaking anything other than regular dark coloured sleep, anything green or white needs to be checked out. I have known people to loose their dogs to kennel cough. Yuri had a scare a while back and i'll be vacinating my lot for it soon as I have 3.

"She has kennel cough? Take an aspirin and call me in the morning. Oh, feed the dog some chicken soup and still call me in the morning!"

Vets and forum members can be so much help ...

Seriously hope you;re both feeling well soon.

Hey - don't know if that was meant to be a jab at my comment. I didn't have anything to add, but I just wanted to express my concern because I want her to be okay. Is that a problem?

Hey - don't know if that was meant to be a jab at my comment. I didn't have anything to add, but I just wanted to express my concern because I want her to be okay. Is that a problem?

No, I was teasing both you and the OP. If I'm in for sarcasm or taking jabs at someone there's never any doubt!!! and when I said "vets and forum members". I was actually referring to my ridiculous answer.

Now, you got a problem?? :)

No, I was teasing both you and the OP. If I'm in for sarcasm or taking jabs at someone there's never any doubt!!! and when I said "vets and forum members". I was actually referring to my ridiculous answer.

Now, you got a problem?? :)

Oh - haha! Sorry - I got a little defensive. I've been feeling defensive lately; probably this new/scary/stressful university environment I'm in.

Oh - haha! Sorry - I got a little defensive. I've been feeling defensive lately; probably this new/scary/stressful university environment I'm in.

No biggy ... as has been said before, it's really hard to tell what some people are saying with out asking ... and I'm really bad about not using emoticins where they would help.

Hey she's been put on 2 weeks lockdown by vet it is KC n shes not allowed outside cept to pee also on medication she's hating it house is getting destroyed when were not home

So the doc's got her quarantined, eh?? Probably a good idea so she can't pass it on to any others.

Hope she gets to feeling better soon ... hope you still have a house left when you can finally get her out again!

• 1 month later...

My husky has just been diagnosed with kennel cough by the vet and is on a few medications and on quarantine for the next 2 weeks. Anything you recommend that helped you? (certain food? meds?....tips?)

She makes gagging faces and sounds like she has phlegm stuck in her throat. We usually go out for walks twice a day but because we can't go anywhere now I let her go into the backyard once a day, where she runs like crazy, and then her throat gets worse from exacerbation...I feel bad for the poor little girl though because she has soooo much energy!

I took Diesel to the vet today.....yep,:groan: kennel cough. He's now on meds for two weeks. Poor baby has had this twice, but I'm not surprised. He goes to doggy day care and/or the dog park most days of the week. He's had the vaccine, but unfortunately it doesn't protect him from all strains of the virus (obviously). :shrug: I'm just gonna have to baby my baby :huskyfall:

Brands will be different out here but the vet said any type as long as it was a kids one and to give them 1 spoon 3 times a day. probs best to check with vets in Vegas first as it might be made different in the US as opposed to UK. Personally in meantime I'd go with a homemade Honey and Lemon mix for the cough.