How can you tell if your Husky is going to be a furry ?

Taylor Myers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you mean a long coat...that is classed as a fault within the breed

Oooooooh . . . Don't tell that to Vlad. . .

He thinks he's gorgeous.

(we do too !!!!)

193379_1849027499005_1040222275_2191143_3162926_o-jpg.20248

Where does the long coat come from? I always just assumed that the long-haired ones were a malamute or some other breed mix than purebred. Is it a recessive gene or something?

Yes, it is a recessive gene.

It isn't uncommon in the breed, but it IS a fault, because the coat isn't as weather-proof as it ought to be. The normal guard coat, which is coarser and more water-proof isn't present, so the long, thick fur tends to soak up water and not let it go. This means it's more likely to mat, which keeps it from being properly fluffy, which helps keep warm air near the body. It also tends to keep moisture in, which can cause them to further lose body heat in an arctic environment - or even simple cold weather! The moisture next to the skin, if not dried out, can also lead to bacterial growth on the skin, and lesions (hot spots) which are really itchy, forming. They are gorgeous, but the coat really needs to be taken care of, to avoid skin problems, in particular!

If its a recessive gene, how much is there of a chance my husky could have got it ? Is there anyway to tell ?

I'm not sure whether it's a simple recessive gene, or not - in which case with both parents being a carrier, there should be roughly a 1/4 chance of her being a wooly. Looking at the picture you've posted of her, her coat looks like a normal coat, although it could be a bit longer in length - just not a wooly. Look at how different Vlad's coat looks in Andy's #8 post... Do you know if any of her relatives are woolies?

So shed be really skinny/not fluffy you think ? And no, I havent put any research into if any of her relatives are woolies or not.

And yes, I saw Vlads huge fluffiness, and I was just kind of wondering if shed have the normal Husky fluff, not huge huge fluff. xDD

No, probably a normal, fluffy coat, not too short, but not wooly, either...