Blue Buffalo Differences

BMac91

Ok, I did a quick search and didn't see anything quite like this, so here goes. If this is a repost I do apologize :)

I have been feeding my sibes Blue Buffalo and they absolutely love it, but now I see this Blue Buffalo Wilderness food and was wondering what the difference was, and if it was "Better" for them. We mixed a small amount of the canned Blue Buffalo Wilderness (we got it free) in with their dry food and they WENT FREAKIN CRAZY over it. But I am trying to figure out if it is justifiable to spend 2$ more on this when it is 6lbs LESS of food? I know it seems like a no brainer but my sibes are my kids and I only want what is best for them. I have had soo much good luck with Blue Buff that I am practically sworn to it so I would be sticking with them regardless, like I said just wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference.

Also, on a side note, I feed my sibes pieces of fresh bananas as a treat, and they absolutely love it, is this safe for them? My vet said that it's a natural fruit and it's not an issue, what do you guys think?

Hi!:up: I've read about Blue Buffalo as well as other foods on; http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/ i've tried Solid Gold Barking at the Moon and right now using Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. Taste of the Wild and Orijen are also reportedly great foods. I've read good things about Blue Buffalo. While I'm far from any kind of expert on the field, I've read a great deal on the subject and what I've found is they all say in common that fruits, veg. meat (protein lean) and zinc are great for their diet-just NO grapes or raisins, as they are toxic! Read about some of this on here; http://www.allabouthuskies.com/food-northerndiet.html The diet of the husky or sled dog in its native land would mostly consist of fish (especially oily fish like salmon), and perhaps caribou, seal and whale meat. They would have hunted small mammals such as Arctic hares and perhaps caught birds on occasion. Most of these creatures themselves are part of the marine food chain, (i.e. whales eat fish and krill; fish eat algae, plankton, smaller fish and crustaceans, etc). The plants and animals in this food chain contain high levels of certain minerals in their bodies, such as Zinc and Vitamin C. Sled dogs have consequently evolved to require higher amounts of such minerals etc. than dog breeds from other geographic regions. Some of the most common health disorders seen in sled dog populations today are a result of dietary deficiencies of these minerals.

Dogs living in arctic regions would usually eat small animals and fish whole, including their stomachs and the contents. Their diets would thus include a certain amount of vegetable matter. This is one reason why it is important to include vegetables as part of a raw diet. They would also perhaps occasionally graze on seaweeds or algae along shorelines in times of scarcity.

Whether from grazing or from the stomachs of prey animals, much of the vegetable matter dogs Arctic regions ingest would be kelp and other seaweeds. Amongst other minerals, these plants are very high in Zinc, which is very important to for good health in northern breeds.

Food supplements such as Solid Gold Seameal Powderir?t=huskyresource-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00074W1WE contain dried seaweed. You can add these to the diet of your husky or sled dog to help provide minerals and vitamins that may be beneficial to northern breeds. Pet Kelp Natural Multi-vitaminir?t=huskyresource-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0035XRMCI is an all-natural kelp based multi-vitamin and mineral complex made from Nova Scotia kelp, organic flax seed, blueberries and has over 70 nutrients for your dog.

Zinc

Zinc naturally occurs in very high quantities in the 'Northern Diet', in fish, crustaceans, seaweeds etc. Zinc Deficiency is a common ailment of sled dogs today, as complete pet foods often do not contain the levels of zinc they require. Zinc Deficiency manifests as Zinc Responsive Dermatosis (ZRD) in many dogs. This is a skin condition that primarily affects areas of the face and head, particularly the muzzle, ears and around the eyes, where hair-loss occurs and red, scaly patches of skin develop.

Hope this was helpful:D

i dont really know to much on the subject. when i first got suki i was giving her the blue buffalo wilderness, but it is alil on the expensive. then i switched her to the regular blue buffalo. we tryed each one and she seems to like the red bag better i think its salmon and potato. bmac i kindive like u if my dog likes a certain brand i try to get everything that brand. sorry if i cant be more help.

i dont really know to much on the subject. when i first got suki i was giving her the blue buffalo wilderness, but it is alil on the expensive. then i switched her to the regular blue buffalo. we tryed each one and she seems to like the red bag better i think its salmon and potato. bmac i kindive like u if my dog likes a certain brand i try to get everything that brand. sorry if i cant be more help.

Yes, I absolutely love Blue Buffalo products, we buy pretty much everything from them, their treats are all Blue Buffalo or Blue Buff Wild and they love every one of them. The only "Off" brand I buy is the Greenies because Blue Buff doesn't have anything like that lol.

Yes, I absolutely love Blue Buffalo products, we buy pretty much everything from them, their treats are all Blue Buffalo or Blue Buff Wild and they love every one of them. The only "Off" brand I buy is the Greenies because Blue Buff doesn't have anything like that lol.

The only off brand we buy is the dental treats. I don't think that make them at least the stores we have do not carry them. Besides that we buy nothing but blue buffalo nd she's seems to luv it. I don't give her wet food. Do u think I should here nd there?

Blue Buffalo makes quality food. It may not be the best, but it's a far cry better than the grocery store stuff. Some dogs have stomach and digestive issues on Blue Buffalo; runny stools, gas, etc. But if your's does well on it, then that's all that matters. I would take a look at the protein and fat percentages on both foods. I'm guessing the Wilderness is higher. That may be something to take into consideration. Higher levels of both protein and fat may not be in the best interests of your dog. It depends on activity level and how much you feed. If your dog is not highly active, working everyday, the Wilderness may be over the top.

We have been feeding TOTW to Zoya. She is a bit over three years old. She is very active, runs and play fights quite a bit. We are in the process of changing her down to a lower calorie, less protein and less fat food to take a few pounds off. Once she's back to fighting weight, we'll reassess and see what food we will move to from there.

We have a 3 month old Husky, Neptune. Right now, my boyfriend and I are trying to figure out what kind of food to put him on. I heard a lot about Blue Buffalo and saying that it is a good brand. But I need more confidence and back up with going with Blue Buffalo for a 3 Month old husky. My boyfriend, wanted to do Raw food diet, but it will be too expensive.

Just want to hear your suggestions and advise,

Thanks!!

By the way, he is on Beneful Puppy dry food right now, I don't think he is too keen on it.

I used to use Blue Buffalo, for a similar price, I justify buying Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Canine formula. It's an all life-stages diet.

BUT, you asked about BB not TOTW. In my past experience, BB gave ALL of my dogs the runs, and I often had trouble keeping the weight on my puppies and dogs. At 8 months, I switched my pups over to TOTW and had much better results on it.

My dogs also had a lack-luster coat on BB.

I will say this, simply only by comparing the ingredients, I would MUCH rather buy the BB Wilderness over regular BB formulas. I have NEVER tried the BB Wilderness, I simply speak from an ingredient comparison stand-point.

Not sure if this helps?

I have switched off of TOTW to Wilderness Salmon about 2 weeks ago now. I have never and won't purchase the original "Blue Buffalo" kibble but Wilderness I believe is a quality food and is comparable to TOTW. Currently I have 2 dogs on Wilderness and they both love it. Cheyenne is my picky girl who won't do raw (and generally snuffs all kibble) but she loves the Wilderness dry. I have not fed it long enough to give a full opinion but I put much thought into what goes into my dogs and for the price, I like Wilderness. Her stools are normal and solid. The puppy is also on Wilderness and he was underweight when I first got him and is steadily gaining weight with Wilderness. I think if you're looking for a higher quality kibble for your Siberian, Wilderness is a valid choice.

@Pupelvr Beneful isn't the best food choice- I would look into something more higher quality. The ingredients in that kibble aren't anything to write home about. www.dogfoodanalysis.org rates dog kibbles as well as does a "write up" on the ingredients and general makeup of the food.