Moose

Elmo

I started a new job in August, every year they choose a charity to raise money and donate to.

This year it is Raystede

I have signed up for the volenteer days to help out the centre but I thought it would be nice to visit the place and see what they do. SO when they had a car boot fair we went up and had a nosey. It's a really nice place, it is also a sanctuary for other animals such as birds, small animals and horses.

When we walked around the play areas for the dogs we saw a big crowd round one of them. When it was quieter went went back and saw Moose. A young red and white husky.

MooseBig.jpg

He was really cute and we thought about fostering him. We visited the centre last weekend and asked for more info about Moose. We got the general info and what someone thought about him when he was given a trial run at a home. As we looked through the characteristics it turns out he was picked up as a stray from London, and each thing it said about him we kept saying typical husky. There are definately some issues there though such as possessive of food and not backing down easily, which would stem from him being a stray. He is also an escape artist, so definately plans to make the garden more secure is going to be a must on one part of the fencing where it dips down in the slope.

We did get to meet Moose as well, to say he is vocal is an understaement! The first few minutes of seeing our two they all barked like crazy, my ears were ringing when they stopped! After that though there were a few grumbles and snaps but all in al you can see the potential in him to become a real good dog. Especially when all of them were kissing each others noses and face and he went belly up for my two to sniff him.

We'll be visiting him again the next weekend to see how much better he'll be with these two, to take him for a walk and see if we can let them suss each other out in a secure play area.

I'm hoping we can take him on in good time and make him into a really happy husky that someone will love to rehome.

• 2 weeks later...

Well yesterday was a treat for me. I was asked at work if I would be available to go on the staff volunteer day, so there I was with other people from work, staining wood to protect it for the winter. After lunch we got given a tour of behind the scenes of the centre. The kennels were two big rooms, the first one had all the little dogs, the second with the bigger dogs. Right at the end, there was Moose, looking very fed up. :( So I asked if I could take him for a walk.

He walks like a dream! He hardly pulls, the only time he dug his heels in a bit is when we got near the equine bit, he went one way, I went the other, a firm voice and a tug got him going again. I tried running with him, you can tell if he really gets running he'll have some phenomenal strength to him.

Playing with him is fun, if a bit mouthy. However when I saw the way the staff interact with him, I notice they didnt check the behaviour.

Once Tallica has finished her season, we'll be back there walking with him and seeing how our two bond with him. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well there's been a fair bit of development going on since the original post. We have been visiting the centre quite often to see Moose. We've taken him out for walks and he is great on a lead together with our two. We also have been able to have them off lead in their secure areas to let them play. They have got on really well all three together, there was some dominence but it seems to sorted itself amongst themselves fairly quickly.

We have said to Raystede we wanted to give him a foster home to help. We got the visit today and been given the go ahead to foster him. So the green light is there once we have made sure our fences are Moose-proof (he's classed as an escape artist) as we have seen him trying to jump the fences to say hello to the donkeys when we walk past them, so we can see his potential and ease to jump over fences, which means replacing the flimsy bamboo screening against our nieghbours grotty old fence with proper willow hurdles that will go higher than at the lower part of her fence.

We also need to talk extensively to the head of kennels to discuss some things we have seen, such as the way people interact with him and his mouthing, and also noticed that he can sometimes have a stiff back leg. Although doesn't bother him, seeing him with a stiff back leg raises concerns with us, primarily is if it's an existing condition and if it'll be insurable. So we will in discussion with her and the veterinary team on site to ascertain if it'll be a problem. As much as we really like Moose we have to have a practical head on our shoulders and if there are going to be potential problems with his leg which'll mean long term vet bills and time off them it'll be a deal breaker for us, especially if it isn't insurable.

So other than that it's all down to Vix and Tallica getting along with him and seeing if they will accept him into their pack. More visits and interaction will be the way to go...

Another productive visit with Moose and our two. Although we've been told he doesn't back down with dominent dogs, all interaction with our two say different. Never in my life have I seen a dog be so laid back about being dominated by a bitch! He lets her before rolling over going belly up and with a huge smile on his face! He faces a bit of pack order with Tallica, they both want to be beta rather than omega, in my eyes Tallica is beta and quite rightly so seeing she is already bonded with Vixen. So Tallica is telling Moose off when he plants a paw on her shoulder and really growling at him. Yet as soon as she relaxes she is quite happily playing with him.

Still to hear the official verdict from the vets about his leg, the xray has been done just waiting for the report from the vet.

fingers x'ed all goes well for you and Moose

he is absolutely gorgeous:heartbeat:

i've heard of Raystede through a friend of mine and it is suppose to be an absolutely lovely place:D

i hope you have some good news about his leg and your fostering/adopting can go ahead

• 2 months later...

Thought this deserved to be updated.

As Tan J P already knows we aren't taking Moose on, but he is being brought into the SHARE family to get a new home through them.

Final straw for us was when we had to think with our heads and not our hearts. After over two months of visiting him and constantly seeing him limp after a 20mins walk and play, the vets x-ray came back with nothing obvious to show why he gets a stiff leg with minimal exercise. The sanctuary insisted it was just a sprain and with longer walks he is no longer limping. when I volunteered for a day there about a week after they said that, I saw Moose again in the enclosure. He was still stiff legged.

That was the last day I saw him as I didn't want to get any more attached with a dog we knew we wouldn't be able to treat fairly with our exsisting pack. Ours go for very long walks and I'm going to get Vixen bike-jorring with me. Ideally I'd want a running partner with Vix (Tallica's cateract problems rule her out from ever running long distance or pulling rigs/bikes). If Moose finds it diffcult to walk after a few miles then it would be unfair to him to be taking on shorter walks alone and miss out on bonding sessions onthe longer walks and runs.

Sorry it didn't work out I'm sure there is some one out there to offer him the kind of home he needs xx

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.149578,-0.409459

Moose is coming to SHARE next weekend all things going to plan

we have a foster home lined up,but more excited to say we also have a husky family want to adopt him if he gets on with their pack:D

so fingers x'ed but either way Moose will be in a home,i know Raystede is not an ordinary kennels,but its still not a home.

thanx Emma,sorry i missed talking to you,but Ian was lovely :)

Thanks all.

Well we will be taking on a third husky. Once we get the all clear with tallica's eyes and can start treating her a bit more normally we will introducing a new member of the pack. She's a red, similar age to Vixen and we already know her through walking with her pack and she has the same temperament as Vix. All going well with Tallica we shall be introducing her in to the new home in March...