husky weight

toddy

i have been a proud owner of a siberian husky for a year and a half now and i cant believe i have only just found this web site :) my husky is a bitch and she is a year an a half i feed her james wellbeloved dry food for working dogs she weigths around 17kg and about 20 inches high is this a good weight because she looks rather small to me and when i walk her i am forever thinking that pople are thinkin that dog is under weight i understand she isnt gone to be a massive built bitch but im just curiouse

Welcome. Better to be a tad thin rather than overweight. Sounds like she is fine to me.

Huskies are generally considered to be 'slight' in comparison to other breeds. Most people who comment on how they look underweight don't have a clue as to what they are talking about when it comes to sibes.

Here's the AKC standards:

Size, Proportion, Substance

Height--Dogs, 21 to 23½ inches at the withers. Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers. Weight--Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds. Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds. Weight is in proportion to height. The measurements mentioned above represent the extreme height and weight limits with no preference given to either extreme. Any appearance of excessive bone or weight should be penalized. In profile, the length of the body from the point of the shoulder to the rear point of the croup is slightly longer than the height of the body from the ground to the top of the withers. Disqualification--Dogs over 23½ inches and bitches over 22 inches.

Or if you'd rather read the entire thing:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/

Pics would definately help :)

One thing I can say, is that alot of people think that just because huskies have quite deep chests, that their whole body should be the same size lol. Alot of people tell me that I don't feed Cookie, even though shes getting a bit of a fat bum and a little wobble on her belly lol.

If you can feel one or two ribs, but not see them, that's normally a good sign.

Ive seen quite a few overweight huskies, and as Mazz said, it's better to be a bit on the thin side, rather than being overweight.

★ Emma & Cookie ★

My husky sitka is also on the thin side. He's almost 2 (end of november!) and he's 21inches and around 44 lbs ish. He has a skinny butt, everything else seems perfectly fine though, good cover on his ribs, though you can feel easily and full of energy! but his butt and backbone seem a little boney...is that normal?..sorry if I butted into your thread but I figured it was on the same topic.

And he's spoiled rotten...raw turkey, big knuckle bones, satin balls + plenty of treats and table scraps...He's a working dog and needs every ounce he can get it seems:)

post-6103-13585993825136_thumb.jpg

i have been a proud owner of a siberian husky for a year and a half now and i cant believe i have only just found this web site :) my husky is a bitch and she is a year an a half i feed her james wellbeloved dry food for working dogs she weigths around 17kg and about 20 inches high is this a good weight because she looks rather small to me and when i walk her i am forever thinking that pople are thinkin that dog is under weight i understand she isnt gone to be a massive built bitch but im just curiouse

my Tikaani is 3 & half and my Macie is 2 yrs and weigh just about the 20kg. so allthough yours sounds ok another Kg or 2 wouldnt hurt..

Height: Bitches 20-22 inches (51-56cm.)

Weight: Bitches 35-50 pounds (16-22½kg.)

as for what others think when you walk:cheeky: so long as your happy..don't care what they think

Misty's 3 now and I've had her for two of those three years. Her backbone and hips are sharp - but her rib cage is covered pretty well with muscle. I can feel the ribs, but they are nowhere near as pronounced as the backbone and hips. I free feed so she's not underfed and she gets a treat from time to time when I let her run (treat = rabbit).

People who don't know assume they're under weight when they're not - if she's in good health (like Misty is) I don't worry.

• 6 months later...

We weighed our last night, Kuna came in at 18kg and seems to be within what you guys are asying here. Kaspar came in at 25kg though! Was worried this might be a bit heavy. He is fed the same as she is but I think she sometimes leaves a little and he cleans up for her :P They are still only 6 and 1/2 months.

When we saw the parents they were both HUGE!! Prob towards the top end of breed standard both in height and weight so had always assumed the pups would be big, but Kaspars new name has become Tank!!

We weighed our last night, Kuna came in at 18kg and seems to be within what you guys are asying here. Kaspar came in at 25kg though! Was worried this might be a bit heavy. He is fed the same as she is but I think she sometimes leaves a little and he cleans up for her :P They are still only 6 and 1/2 months.

When we saw the parents they were both HUGE!! Prob towards the top end of breed standard both in height and weight so had always assumed the pups would be big, but Kaspars new name has become Tank!!

25kg at 6 months wow!