US Camp Southwest Suggestion

Removed #5

Since Iowa's camp is in Sept what would all of you who live in the western US think about a get-together in March / April or so?? I'll tell you what this place is like and see what you all think ... but I'm also open to something a little more centrally located - UT / CO ??

Terlingua Ranch is for all effect a huge subdivision with very few residents. The Property owners Association has Cabins (a bit pricey?) / RV Spots / primitive camp sites, a shower room (other facilities in the shower room, obviously), laundromat, swimming pool and a privately run restaurant. When I said a large subdivision, there are 1,100 miles of roads in TR of which 13 are paved. Depending on your local school district, kids could probably get absences excused with a trip into the Bend Bend National Park. One other down side is that this area is under a continual burn ban - so no campfires, open fires / open grills of any kind.

The nearest town, Study Butte (and pronounced stewdy beaut) is about 30 miles away. Two convenience stores, two gas stations, several eateries, two ATMs. The nearest town with a WalMart is 120 miles up the road so you'd want to be prepared to come here.

The only drawback that I can see to this location is that it's anything but centrally located.

Comments??? Other suggestions??? Should I just shut up and wait till Sept or so??

//al

I would possibly interested in a TX/southern area camp.. I don't know what kind of time I could get off of work though :(

I've been dreaming of a nice camping trip lately.. as long as it's cool outside :P And I don't think campfires would be allowed anywhere in TX right now.. :rolleyes:

Used to camp a lot out in LA and up in southern AR, been to the Sabine area a few times as well, pretty over there.

I would possibly interested in a TX/southern area camp.. I don't know what kind of time I could get off of work though :(

I've been dreaming of a nice camping trip lately.. as long as it's cool outside :P And I don't think campfires would be allowed anywhere in TX right now.. :rolleyes:

Used to camp a lot out in LA and up in southern AR, been to the Sabine area a few times as well, pretty over there.

That's kinda why I'm putting out feelers so far in advance. Something about 6 months away from Iowa Camp puts it in the spring - possibly too early for the mountain states, but quite doable for the southern tier - just be a trip and a half for ID / OR / Dakotas.

Might even want to consider the southern states as opposed to the western (but also figure people will come as far as they're comfortable with) ... and let the northern tier hold something of their own after it warms up up there.

Ooh I would like this. Iowa is a bit far.

Iowa isn't any farther than Texas from Boise. of course, that depends what part of TX.

Al - you didn't say where in Texas, I'm assuming it's in Texas.

Personally, I would have a hard time camping with no BBQ or campfire tho.

Okay, here's where I am ... and as I've said several ties this is remote

post-8679-0-79645500-1360727962.jpg

That black dot, just outside Big Bend National Park.

I'm open to other suggestions, just trying to get something started ... it's roughly 120 miles from I-10 down to Terlingua area.

Cooking in an enclosed BBQ is acceptable. We've burnt off too many acres in Texas this year.

post-5355-13585993396173_thumb.jpg

Oh. Thought he said somewhere in the middle of Texas, Oregon, Idaho, etc. Like Colorado or Utah.

I got thinking after I said that, CO / UT are still going to be cold (at least for my blood!) in Mar / Apr. I'm as willing to drive as to not ...

Just looking at the calendar, there are no three day weekends in March, but for a lot of people Easter weekend (April 8th) would be a three day weekend (Good Friday - Easter Sunday). Those who wanted to could join our local church for Easter Sunrise service (( I have to laugh, sunrise over the mountains comes at like 10:00 AM! I'm sure "sunrise services" would be more like 6 or 7 )). Since I'm neither Christian nor particularly religious (at least in terms that most of you would recognize) that's a reasonable weekend for me. (( since I'm retired, ANY weekend is a good weekend for me!! ))

I'll post rates for cabins / rv sites / tent sites later today, I have to make another run into town again today.

Again, I'm open for alternatives, I'd just like to see something at about 6 months away from Iowa camp.

@Al Jones - I don't know about anything in New Mexico but was looking at Lincoln National Forest. Just don't know what's there or what the weather would be like.:shrug: Maybe @xLOBOx knows...or maybe not.:help: New Mexico would be a little more central for people to come.

@ Sid&BellaNTX

you're still coming to Iowa Camp aren't you - Ryn and I are hoping so! We have to keep these girls of ours in contact, being BFF's and all!

Did someone say IA camp!?:wave1::clap::woohoo::bananalama::monkeydance::llama2::pingu: Yeah, I've already reserved a cabin!:woohoo: Going to be taking off a little more time off for camp next year.:)

@Al Jones - I don't know about anything in New Mexico but was looking at Lincoln National Forest. Just don't know what's there or what the weather would be like.:shrug: Maybe @xLOBOx knows...or maybe not.:help: New Mexico would be a little more central for people to come.

<< snipped >>

Like I said, I'm just instigating. I'd sure like to have something closer to home than Iowa and not a year away --- at my age a lot can happen in a year :)

If no one comes up with anything more centrally located then I'll plan on a desert party of two - three - four - ???

My grandparents have a sort of "vacation trailer" home in Ruidoso, NM which is in Lincoln National Forest. It's an absolutely beautiful area.....lots of camping places so if anyone would be interested I can definitely look into more info for it. We have the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque, but it's not much of a camping spot. I do know of a place in Jemez, NM where I used to go camping with a bunch of friends and our dogs....great area as well. I'm open to looking into more info on all these places :doglick: