Neptune has Parvo

Pupelvr

Hey Guys,

So we found out why Neptune wasn't eating. Turns out that he has Parvo, but it is the first stages of Parvo. So we caught it early, which is good. Today he got an IV injection and a shot of antibiodics. So we are hoping to see some improvement.

I just need reinsurance right now that he will be okay. Please if anyone had a pup at this young of age have Parvo, share your story with me.

Also, is there anything that I can do at home that will help his chances??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any stories of Parvo, but I WILL say this, it is SO very common, one would HOPE that we've made technological leaps and bounds by way of keeping our puppies alive through it!

One other note, if Neptune has been around ANY other dogs/puppies or owners of dogs/puppies, if you can, I'd let them know, you want to give their animals a fighting chance too!

I'm not **POSITIVE** but carrying in clothing MAY also mean in carpeting?

I only know about the clothing, but if you can, call SEVERAL vets for opinions (you don't have to take Neptune to them if you're satisfied with your current vet) but advice is ALWAYS free.

Yes, it may mean in the carpeting as well as soles of shoes etc.

So far the only thing I heard to let him do was rest and hope for the best!! So that is what I am doing. We have bleached, washed, vacuumed and dusted just about everything we could think that is carrying the disease. Tomorrow, we will clean the carpet with a carpet cleaner. Just wish I could do something that would help him out a little bit more.

Here's some parvo info from another site. These are replies from people to someone else who asked about Parvo.

- MANY things you need to do though. Forget about trying to figure out where it came from.

Sick dogs must be quarantined immediately to some building or property far away as possible and the area kept clean and not allowed to go near the other dogs or dogs come anywhere near those dogs.

You have to start IV fluids on all sick dogs.

If you quarantine the non sick dogs and they become sick later on, you contaminated the area where THEY were.

Chlorox the S#$@t out of everything, houses, soil, its a SOB. Even then, it probably won't work that great but most people do that anyway.

You need Parvo Clothes and boots.

Don't come from the kennel with your parvo clothes. Leave the tyvek suit or whatever at the kennel, get a tub of chlorox water and wash your boots off in it if you have to walk anywhere else.

Basically you have to treat it like its a human epidemic (and it IS).

Like biological warfare, etc. and that's what it is as well.

I washed all dogs in chlorox water. Keep area 3X as clean of feces.

The very best thing you can do is move all the sick dogs to one area and get them on IV fluids asap and MOVE the other dogs to a completely different area FAR away for 6 Months. FOR REAL. I was not able to do that so I did best I could and moved dogs to woods about 500 ft. from existing kennel and NO dogs got to go loose for 4 Months until the Snow came and at least covered the ground.

Parvo doesn't allow fluids to be absorbed, hence the IV's. Just because a dog is drinking don't think they are absorbing.

IME, sick dogs came around in about a week. AFter that they will still shed the virus for (sorry can't recall) X amount of time.

- Average environment contamination lasts 6 mos. A year would be even safer.

So far the only thing I heard to let him do was rest and hope for the best!! So that is what I am doing. We have bleached, washed, vacuumed and dusted just about everything we could think that is carrying the disease. Tomorrow, we will clean the carpet with a carpet cleaner. Just wish I could do something that would help him out a little bit more.

For the carpet, I would recommend steaming.

Here's hoping for the best. I have had experiences with Parvo but they didn't end happy :( We had a litter of Dachshunds and my dad got Parvo vaccinations to give to the pups. Well our batch was tainted and gave all the puppies the illness :( Only 1 of 4 survived.

Again here's hoping for the best. You said it was caught in early stages so that's better odds.

UPDATE:

We took Neptune back to the vet today. He seems to be a little more alert. He did eat for us last night and this morning. But only in his crate. But hey I rather him eat in his crate that nothing at all. Around 3 we are going to try and feed him boiled chicken with rice. So I am praying that he will be willing to eat that. He has been keeping down his food which is good, but he hasn't pooped yet for us either. He isn't drinking as much as we would like him to. But the vet did send us home with a bag of fluids and IV. We did this today, and will do it for the next three days. Still very much worried, but I am hoping for the best.

Since the vet sent you home with an IV and fluids I guess no one has to tell you that dehydration is a major problem with parvo! I've also seen where people will use pedialight <sp> for rehydration. Glad to hear he's being more responsive!!

We bought Pedialight and gadorate. I think that Pedialight works better, but he kinda have to force him to drink it. But we are doing whatever we can to get him better!!