Neptune has Parvo

Pupelvr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my boyfriend took him to the vet. He is healthy enough to be switched to oral antibiotics. He is also is being dewormed today since he has roundworms. Tomorrow i am going to bring him to work to force liquids in his mouth every thirty minutes. He is looking better than he was on saturday. So i think we are going to see the healthy neptune soon!! Thank you all for keep us in your thoughts and prayers!! I will keep you guys posted

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Well my boyfriend took him to the vet. He is healthy enough to be switched to oral antibiotics. He is also is being dewormed today since he has roundworms. Tomorrow i am going to bring him to work to force liquids in his mouth every thirty minutes. He is looking better than he was on saturday. So i think we are going to see the healthy neptune soon!! Thank you all for keep us in your thoughts and prayers!! I will keep you guys posted

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the good news, I really hate it when someone shows up with a problem and then goes quiet! Of course I think the worst!!

Glad that things are going well enough that the vet thinks he can handle some non-related drugs (for the roundworms) and have fun with him at work - that sounds like it could be "fun"!

So I got home today and he was all sorts of excited!! I was so happy to finally see the old Neptune back. I went to Petsmart and got Banfields Prescription version of chicken and rice soft food. And guess what, HE ATE IT!! I have faith that he will make it through this trial.

On a side note, I contacted the breeder to let her know that he was diagnosed with Parvo. I wasn't trying to ask for any money from her, since I am just more focused on getting him better instead. But she ended up sending me a message back, just saying, "Okay, Thanks." I mean are you SERIOUS!! How can a breeder just say, "okay thanks" and not wonder how the puppy is doing!! I think if you are going to be a dog breeder you need to go through some kind of test, to see if you will be a good breeder.

I will thank god everyday that we got Neptune when we did, whether he had parvo or not. He is a part of our lives now and wouldn't want it any other way!!

Okay I am done venting :huskyrocks:

Glad to hear that he's doing better!

As there is no test for breeders, we need to impose our own test, and grill any breeder we consider buying a puppy (or adult dog, for that matter) from... Ask to see paperwork showing that the parents' eyes and hips have been checked and certified as normal, ask about health and temperament issues with the parents and other relatives, ask how often they breed a bitch and/or have litters... LOTS of questions. And the breeder should ask any prospective buyer questions, as well, that show they care where the puppy or dog is going, and what the home where they will be living is like! If a buyer gets the feeling that the breeder does not care where their dog/puppy is going - or is more interested in the money - they should walk run away!

Excellent news!! If he beginning to feel like a new dog then we can hope he's well on the road to recovery.

Gigi, I know there are breeders and then there are "breeders" and for most people looking for a dog it's hard to tell the difference. As much as I wish there were a world wide breeders committee who had teeth, I also wish there was some way to insure that the new little bundle of fur was going to someone who would really care for it forever. But don't we all do the best we can to educate people about getting a new pet - dog, cat, canary, in the long run it doesn't matter - find out what you're getting into before you bring it home ... preaching to the choir, I quit!

So, since he had such a good day with eating and getting his energy up, I decided to get him a new toy!!

DSC01531.jpg

Now I need to only find a way for him to drink water, but for now we are using a ear dropper and pedialyte and water to keep him hydrated.

DSC01522.jpg

Thank you again guys for asking how he is doing, I really do appreciate all your advise and comments.

SO glad to hear he's getting better!! Our Red Heeler Samhain whom we rescued from a shelter was loaded with heartworms when we got him, he pulled through both stages of the treatments, tho-your beautiful boy will pull through, just don't let him get excited and worked up as much as possible-fingers and paws crossed for you and him!:)

Hey just curious to all the husky owners out there? What is the normal amount of fluids that a 3 month old husky should intake a day? I am still being a worry wart over here. He is eating great, just not drinking as much as I would like him to. Other than not drinking as much as "I" like, Neptune is doing great. We are starting to train him again with treats, which is goes nuts over the bacon strips!! (What dog doesn't?!?) I am so happy to finally have our old Neptune back and can't wait till he is 100% better.

Hey I was also wonder, how long should a puppy wait to be able to play with other dogs? That's on my list of questions when we go to the vet on Tuesday, but I was curious to see if anyone on here would know.

Again, thank you ALL for your thoughts and prayers, while we are getting through this disease one step at a time.

Thank you,

Nicole

:huskyrocks:

I've had quite a bit of experience with parvo, though it's been a while (thank... GOD). And with that I can say it's all up hill from here.

The vet sent you home with the IV? They DID make sure you didn't have anymore dogs in the area that could get infected, right? The one dog that we had survive parvo went to the vet and was in quarantine for 4 days.

Our vet said that she's never seen a dog have parvo twice, if they survive it the first time they are pretty much immune (I say pretty much, because almost nothing in life is 100%, so consider 99.9999%)

As it turns out, hookworm has typical parvo signs, and is often seen (around here anyway) WITH parvo, and that's why the success rate was even lower (at least around here).

Our vet had a different treatment for parvo... The typical way is very expensive and our OLD vet just put three of ours down because of the cost and the fact that the success rate is extremely low. Our NEW vet (for the past 5 years) had a new treatment option that was a fraction of the price and had a lot higher success rate. I wish I could talk in specifics here with names of treatments but I was 10 (11?) at the time...

But yeah, glad he's doing better, keep up all updated! I'd tell you more about how our dog that survived parvo did but, the vet kept her until she got better (which is the better option, IMO) so all I remember was a sickling going in and a hyper Chi coming out wanting to say Hi to her people. It's certainly one of the most frightening things someone would have to deal with.

Glad he's doing better!

~Trey.

P.s. It's a good thing you caught it early, its typically too late within a few days, it doesn't take long.

cad6hfa6fOw

We found a way to make him eat. He goes ape shit over this food!! I am so happy he is finally eating now. The next check up is next Tuesday and hopefully he will be well enough to get the rest of his shots!!

Positive news that the recovery process is going well. BTW, my vet also prescribed Hill's ID food for my pup, but in the dry form. She has a very sensitive stomach and doing much better with that food. Anyway, good lock with the rest of the recovery....