Huskies and cats?

AC75

After reading through the thread, I would like to point out that this thread was basically dead in October, and brought back today. Ts only had three posts, all in this thread, and will likely not be back to see anything else.

True, but it's still a good thread with useful insight for other people who want to know about huskies and cats.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm at fault for reviving the thread, but it's only because I'm new here, and I'm interested in husky-cat interactions, seeing that we only adopted Nanuq a month ago and we have 5 cats he's got to learn to leave alone!!

Check out my first comment on the first page - it takes time, patience and consistency, but teaching your dog to completely ignore the cats and not even look at them proved to be a very successful method.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone who contribued to this thread. It's been a very interesting read. We've just adopted a husky puppy (13 weeks) from a family member who can no longer look after him. We also have a male cat who is almost two years old. Our cat sometimes can be a bit mean to strangers, he hisses when people come in the house but once the stranger has visited a couple of times or if the stranger leaves him alone on the fist visit he'll slowly approach the stranger to sniff and basically suss this person out. He's got a funny little personality. I wasn't sure about bringing the husky into our family but my fiance has wanted a dog for a long time, so we are taking him on a trial run for a couple of weeks. If our new pup and cat don't get along we have another family member who is happy to re-home him.

I would love for this to work out. We've read up on the internet that it's a good idea to swap the cat and the dogs blankets or toys so they can smell each other's scents which we'll be doing. Also our kitty has always slept in the spare room, this is where his toys and scratch post is so we'll make sure our husky is never allowed in this room so that our cat know's he can go here to relax. At the moment we have our puppy on one side of a glass door and our cat on the other, the puppy is taking no notice and the cat is sitting on the other side looking through.

We'll see how things go over the next couple of weeks, and hopefully they'll be okay. We'll be keeping them apart when we are out of the house and I'll be making sure our cat still receives lots of cuddles so he doesn't feel left out or jealous...here's hoping :)

Thank you everyone who contribued to this thread. It's been a very interesting read. We've just adopted a husky puppy (13 weeks) from a family member who can no longer look after him. We also have a male cat who is almost two years old. Our cat sometimes can be a bit mean to strangers, he hisses when people come in the house but once the stranger has visited a couple of times or if the stranger leaves him alone on the fist visit he'll slowly approach the stranger to sniff and basically suss this person out. He's got a funny little personality. I wasn't sure about bringing the husky into our family but my fiance has wanted a dog for a long time, so we are taking him on a trial run for a couple of weeks. If our new pup and cat don't get along we have another family member who is happy to re-home him.

I would love for this to work out. We've read up on the internet that it's a good idea to swap the cat and the dogs blankets or toys so they can smell each other's scents which we'll be doing. Also our kitty has always slept in the spare room, this is where his toys and scratch post is so we'll make sure our husky is never allowed in this room so that our cat know's he can go here to relax. At the moment we have our puppy on one side of a glass door and our cat on the other, the puppy is taking no notice and the cat is sitting on the other side looking through.

We'll see how things go over the next couple of weeks, and hopefully they'll be okay. We'll be keeping them apart when we are out of the house and I'll be making sure our cat still receives lots of cuddles so he doesn't feel left out or jealous...here's hoping :)

Good luck! Just remember that Sibes have high prey drives, and you can't trust him in the room alone with your cat.

I agree it is easier to introduce puppies to the cats, the earlier you can set the boundaries the better the chances of a successful outcome. Mine all thought the cats were odd play things when they got home, quickly realizing they were not they became part of their odd pack...that does not mean your neighbors cats are safe if they wander into your Husky's yard though! My dogs have "their" cats, other cats are fair game if they could get to them. And as Suka mentions, genetics play a part in it all, some husky's have higher prey dive than others so just be sure to know what you are going into from the start. It doesn't hurt to ask the breeder about the parent's prey drive tendencies.