i feel i can no longer trust my husky...

emy

hi everyone,im new to this site and can see it holds alot of good information.

well i rescued a 3 year old bitch about 8 months ago and had no problems with her atall,infact she is the most soppiest dog ive had....untill yesterday, i took her and my boy jack russell to my brothers for a visit...my sister in law wanted me to run along the shop with her so i left the dogs there for 5 minutes,when we came back badger my husky had pulled my niece's hamster cage from the table,broke it in to pieces,then we found the hamster dead and chewed up on the kitchen floor...

i know huskys have a killing instinct,but i didnt think she would do than in the matter of 5 minutes...

i can honistly say i dont think i knew what i was dealing with when i got her as i dont know muck about them,even though i would never get rid of her i feel bad for my 2 nieces..

as ive said,ive also got a miniture jack russel and they have got on brilliant in the 8 months,but after yesterday i feel i cant leave them incase i come home to this again...i feel i can no longer trust her evrn though it was my fault leaving her there for 5 minutes...

has anyone else been through someting like this with there husky?

sibes have a very high prey drive, if they can they will find, kill and eat any small furries like cats, rats, mice, birds etc etc. One of mine has a very high prey drive and has taken a bird down as it flew past us, ripped rabbits from their holes etc etc.

They do know the differences with dogs though, mine can see tiny dogs and not eat them! lol However, i would seperate while you arent at home, simply due to the size difference, a sibe could easily hurt a small dog just through play.

its in their instinct to hunt small animals - thats why i cant have any gerbils - blaze grew up with small rodents but i know for a fact the SECOND skyla is left alone with them she will eat them

they are both fine with small dogs too

i really wouldnt worry about her with ur JRT tbh if she was gonna harm him - she would have already done so

thanks for replying...i think i may be being paranoid as both dog get on really well...

im just abit gutted about what happend,and because they have such a high prey drive i feel as though im taking it out on her but she dont know what she has done wrong as in her mind its right.

yes I have - we have lost a couple of bunnies and chickens due to a few unfortunate instances when we first got Storm, She is ok around our cat but he is a very confident cat and seldom runs but Storm is NEVER EVER left alone with the cat and all our animal runs are much more secure now. I will say that it was always our other dog who broke out of the run as she hates being in it, but Storm has never tried to get out on her own, but she loves to stalk the chickens through the mesh. It is very sad when the kill something but it is always very efficient and I doubt the other animal knows anything of what is happening to it.

its just one of these things you get with a husky , i dont think she will harm your small dog or that woulda happened already other than small animals like rabbits n hamsters ect just keep her away lol even my girl would have done that , id still trust her just gotta know what your gettin with a husky.

thanks everyone for the replys..

after reading abit about husky on here i now understand that it wasnt her fault!! even though i will always feel but about what happend and my 9 year old now never wants to see my husky again,i now feel as if i understand her nature a bit more. and yes i agree i should'nt compare a rodent with another dog. just me being silly lol

I wouldnt even trust a Jack Russel with small furries. We used to have them when I lived on a farm and I did USED to have gerbils too. They climbed onto a desk and shelves 6 foot high and ate them. Instinct in an animal is hard to get out of them. My jack would dig 5 hours solid to destroy a rat nest.

o

I agree with what's been said above. Some huskies will see small dogs as prey but I don't think that's too common. Dogs act and smell different than small furry creatures and you said they they have been fine together so far. I don't think you really have to worry about small dogs. I personally would keep them separated when you were away but that's just me. I always keep dogs separated when no one is around just because they are animals and fights can happen. But I don't think the husky will target the JRT as prey.

Like mentioned above huskies have high prey drives and it just comes with owning the breed. I wouldn't trust her alone with small animals like cats and rodents. We have 4 outside cats and recently got 2 rats. Kuma our husky is allowed around these animals but only when supervised. He is leashed when outside thus is leashed around the cats. The rats are in a wire cage in my room and Kuma is allowed in there. He however isn't allowed to sniff or be around their cage and again isn't left unsupervised in the room. If they rats are going to be out then Kuma is outside the room or in his kennel.

My advice is now that you know your husky has high prey drive which is typical of the breed, just keep her away from potential prey. She was only doing what's in her nature and while sad it isn't "wrong", it's just what happens.

I wouldnt even trust a Jack Russel with small furries. We used to have them when I lived on a farm and I did USED to have gerbils too. They climbed onto a desk and shelves 6 foot high and ate them. Instinct in an animal is hard to get out of them. My jack would dig 5 hours solid to destroy a rat nest.

hahah my jack russel loves small animals,we used to have a hamster and a rabbit before the husky come along, buddy(JRT) used to lay in my front room and groom the hamster and rabbit,he hasnt got a bad bone in him...he is one dog i can trust 100% to not kill any other animal

she has only done what nature told her to do....as you now know

could you maybe try and explain this in a simplistic way to the young children and hopefully they will understand she is not a bad dog

i did explain to both children that badger only done what she thought was right,but at the age of 6 and 9 i dont think they understand the nature of a dog as they have never had one...i have been out today and got them another baby hamster so they are abit happier...but as my niece never wants to see badger again im not going to take the dogs with me next time i visit,just to be on the safe side lol

i did explain to both children that badger only done what she thought was right,but at the age of 6 and 9 i dont think they understand the nature of a dog as they have never had one...i have been out today and got them another baby hamster so they are abit happier...but as my niece never wants to see badger again im not going to take the dogs with me next time i visit,just to be on the safe side lol

Hopefully in time they will understand and they can start to like Badger again. It must be hard since they are still young. Here's wishing the best for the future!

With your niece it could be hard...but she's also about at that age where kids learn about the food chain and the like in school....

She wouldn't be cross with a bear for eating a fish, or a cat for eating a mouse...share what you've learned with her...and ask her relevant questions about how dogs and small animals interact in real life versus on television and the like..............

Realistically she probably understands...but the emotional attachment to her pet is what's going to hold her back. Give her time, talk with her, share what you've learned including what mistakes were made and how you intend to avoid them in the future...she'll need some time, but kids are amazing in their ability to understand and forgive...especially when you talk to them like they can understand and seem interested in their feed back.

I ts a shame this has happened and the children are obviously upset they dont really understand ,my 2 would have done the same and ate the hamster they both have very high prey drives ,mayby you should do a bit more research on the breed this will help you in the future :)

With your niece it could be hard...but she's also about at that age where kids learn about the food chain and the like in school....

She wouldn't be cross with a bear for eating a fish, or a cat for eating a mouse...share what you've learned with her...and ask her relevant questions about how dogs and small animals interact in real life versus on television and the like..............

Realistically she probably understands...but the emotional attachment to her pet is what's going to hold her back. Give her time, talk with her, share what you've learned including what mistakes were made and how you intend to avoid them in the future...she'll need some time, but kids are amazing in their ability to understand and forgive...especially when you talk to them like they can understand and seem interested in their feed back.

I agree with what Stephanie says here 100% Children will learn and it is all about growing up. I grew up on a farm so learnt the ways of life with the food chain from a very young age. Some animals were there for food either by humans or by other animals. Some had babies, some died of old/illness/accident etc. It is very supprising to some people what children learn and take on and in the very grown up way they can deal with things. Living there you soon learn about the circle of life! I was only 5 when the gerbils decided to take up residency in my jacks belly :D Also when a buzzard decided to eat my rabbit lol. Oh the joys of life down the farm :D but it taught me a lot with how to deal with things as I got older.

• 2 weeks later...

the prey drive for husky is lets say somewhat managable....

I own a rabbit and a husky, i never leave them in same room, however my rabbit and husky both lay and relax together after she has gone for the walk, i guess each husky has diff prey drive, mine kills birds while in air flying. just their nature...

if they were in the wild, they would kill rabbits, rodents, mice and small fury creatures.

dont be too worried:) dogs like dogs:) like said in a post previously, if it wanted it could have attacked your Jack russell, but being a dog, they get along:)

So far my huskie had killed a mole, a mouse and a bird. He chases every single cat, squirel, and even raccoon out of my yard, butof his best friends is the Jack Russell down the street, and I'm planning on getting a Pug when I am more finacially stable.

Blue's never been introduces to hamsters, or girbels (sp?) or ferrets, so not sure what he would do, but on of the pet stores we used to go to had rabbots, and he loved them! Didn't seem like prey drive love, more like "give it to me to cuddle with" love.

yep agree with whats been said its all prey drive

when my dogs go to my mums they will sit and watch her bird....if we left them they would kill it

my door is locked so that darwin cant eat my beardie......

im surprised they havent eaten lil shit yet!!!!!

not anyones fault....just animal nature

I totally understand how you are feeling it is very upsetting. My 10yr old daughter lost her Guinea pig just a few months ago. Akia saw it run across the garden before anyone else did. ( it had escaped from run) we saw fast movement then it was all over Akia just stood there with it in her mouth looking at us including my daughter.

My daughter did not talk, stroke Akia for a few days but she soon came round and loves Akia again. I am sure your neice will come round I brought my daughter a little present from Akia with a sorry note explaining herself that her pray drive just takes over and she cannot control it ect. Good luck sure they will forgive her soon.

Not much to add, but I would like to point out (as this has been bugging me a lot lately) that dogs are pretty much black and white. You can trust a dog 100% if you understand them. There aren't grey areas with dogs like with people, dogs don't do random things (they may seem random if you don't understand the dog). Each dog is very different, huskies share common traits (such as the prey drive) but for the most part, each dog has it's own personality and is fairly black and white. IF a dog has a grey area it is probably because of an abusive past, and ALL dogs can recover from this (unlike people, who can be so arrogant as to not change when they are offered a better path, and to stubborn to admit they where wrong because of their pride). If you really wanna get technical, there are no grey areas with people either if you understand them completely, but people are complex, dogs are simple, so that's why I say dogs are black & white and people are grey. At this point if you care about what semantics I use when I say grey or black and white then your really missing my point... My point is if you understand a dog, then you will know it's limits and it's triggers for it's behaviors and you can bet your life on these if you understand them well enough (people who work with service dogs can attest). With people however, they hide what they don't want you to know/understand and can randomly snap if you poke a sore spot that you didn't know about.

The only reason why you initially felt you can't trust your dog is only because you didn't understand her and we all fear what we don't understand. Just remember that it's not her on this account, it's you. At first it might have seemed like a random act and that your dog is unstable but it was only because you didn't know her well enough, you understand this part of your dog now, so plan accordingly. Your dog knows what it's doing and isn't random in it's decision making, it only seems that way if you don't understand it's process.

I'm repeating myself now, so... Yeah, I know you pretty much got the gist of the above already, and what I'm saying is probably an abstract concept to the point of this post (I've been doing abstract programming, cut me a break) but I just wanted to point this out, if nothing else for future reference (just encase someone else reads this thread). I just hope what I've said came out the way I meant it... I'm really tired so forgive me if something doesn't make sense.

I'm more surprised that your jack russel got along with the hampster? From what I understand Jack Russels are ratters?

the prey drive for husky is lets say somewhat managable....

I own a rabbit and a husky, i never leave them in same room, however my rabbit and husky both lay and relax together after she has gone for the walk, i guess each husky has diff prey drive

I would say on this has to do with what they are conditioned to, it's perfectly possible for a husky to get along with animals they are known to kill. Most easily if they grew up with them. Fellow dogs are automatically treated as such, but they have to know to befriend other animals. Think about it, huskies grow up around people and they get along find with us, we aren't dogs so the common denominator is that they grew up with people so they understand and therefore don't fear us/enjoy the taste of our flesh (although, a dog would fear us if they didn't grow up with us because we a bigger).

~Trey.