Worried

Sarah

I think you're worrying too much, and I hope you are able to relax about it. I second what the others have said. When I adopted Dakota, his previous owners communicated with me briefly about missing him. It's only natural.

One thing, though, for future reference for others who may rehome that might help prevent such unease about such things: When I adopted Dakota for free, I was uneasy about them possibly wanting him back later, so I wrote them a check for an amount of my choosing, put "adopting Dakota" in the subject line, and saved a copy of the canceled check when they cashed it. That way I have a permanent record, for legal purposes, that I "purchased" him. Never, ever needed it, but it did put my mind at ease.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'fraid i'd be a bit paranoid too. There's been a thread on pre-loved going on for a few months now where the previous owner has changed their mind (they're now saying it was a trial run and the mature lady doesn't exercise the small dog enough cause she uses an electric scooter) and it's gotten to the point where the police have been called because of harrassment and it's going to civil court! I don't (hope anyway) that this wouldn't happen but please keep any little piece of "evidence" that she gave up the dog willingly and that this wasn't a trial run.

I also agree that she shouldn't see Koda for a good while - be honest and say he's had a big change in his life and you want him to know he's got his forever home and that meeting her will only confuse him and set him back in his training. In fact i'd probably add stuff about how his training is going on fb etc just to show how much you're putting into him etc By all means send her pics if she wants them but i'd be really wary about meeting up so soon - it's his happiness and stability that's the priority and not how upset she's feeling (sorry if that sounds harsh!).

When we got Blue I made her sign a receipt saying that she was selling him etc just to cover my butt cause of the horror stories

This thread brings up a very important point about private rehomings.

I would like to suggest that we put our ideas together to create a 'surrender form'. Basically a document that should be downloadable from this website so that the two parties to a private rehoming can both sign a copy and it make certain points very clear:

1/ Ownership of the dog is transferred from one party to the other.

2/ The first party agrees to facilitate the re-registration of any microchip or tattoo.

3/ The second party agrees to minimum standards of care (*need to be defined*)

4/ Agreement over what should happen if the dog does not settle in the new home.

any other ideas?

eg a disclaimer for H-O?

personally, I'd hold back from letting her see Koda so soon again. When we got D, I had quite a few texts from the woman asking how he was (bear in mind they live in Bangor, near Anglesey, so not a small journey). So I sent phone pics & emailed vids of him & Mysh etc but it was a few months before I felt "comfortable" enough with making the trip to let her see him again. Even when I called the chip company, they said they'd keep the previous owners name on file in case he'd been stolen as they had not called to change it & I could be bluffing. So while I think it is kind that you want her to see how well he's doing, it may hurt her more right now to see what she has lost.

This is the form we use in SHWA:

Relinquish.jpg

The owner formally signs the dog over to SHWA and it becomes SHWA's "property" so there is no confusion and no comebacks. If the form is submitted by email, we also insist the owner actually sign a hard copy before we take possession of the dog.

Mick

whilst i think it's a good idea, it's something we should have related to the forum, at the end of the day it's not what we're about and i don't want to be held responsible for anything that went wrong with a rehome that was advertised through HO - although i do think that we can encourage the two parties to draw something up like what Mick posted above as both new and previous owner would feel more comfortable x

Aw Sarah, I'm sorry to hear this, it must be upsetting for you. I can understand why you're worried though. She has clearly stated (twice) how much she misses him. Once is you looking into it too much but twice is her dropping heavy hints! I agree with the others-don't meet up . . yet. Explain that it would be better for Koda to let him settle in first etc.

Don't let her get to you, as said before owners who actually cared would not set their dogs down and pick them back up again like toys.

Hope it sorts itself out xx

:-( sorry to hear your having problems :-(

As daft as this sounds, she may soon just 'let go' of her own accord once she comes to terms with the fact that he isn't hers anymore.

It's probably just a bit raw at the moment and she's trying to ease her conscience by asking how he's doing?

The woman that gave Logan up, text me like twice a day to see how he was doing. When I confronted her about the state of him (weight etc) she never ever text me again, so she couldn't have really cared that much or she would have at least tried to make a crap excuse up.

Cookies previous 'person' didn't even care that much after the money had been handed over. I've text her before to ask for her email address to send her some photos, but she just isn't bothered.

★ Emma & Cookie ★

STOPPPPP..........

You reading to much into this IMO she not asking for him back she just telling you how much she misses him which is not bad now is it ?

Go along let her see him I know if I'd done this I would want to see them and keep in touch.

Now with women we know what they mean when they say things and what they are getting at :P she hasnt said it yet but it seems like shes hinting at it like she wants her to offer giving him back.

Legally I beleive she cannot take the dog back anyways as there is proof of transfer of ownership. And her seeing him is going to make it harder for her and confuse the dog :( Your hearts it the right place tho <3

glad the paperwork has come through, it will help you feel more relaxed. I went through similar when we got Storm, the family were going to Spain to live but it didn't work out and I got texts asking how she was and asking for pictures, I went totally loopy and burst into tears however I just kept saying how settled she was and how cuddly she was becoming and she realised that Storm was better with us but it does cause a fair bit of worry.

Since you have the KC paperwork, you can stop worrying that she might feel some "claim" to him. At the same time since he's been rehomed so many times in 18 months I agree with the view that he needs to settle in before there's any kind of visit. Actually I like the idea of meeting her at one of the walks and letting her see how well he's doing - maybe then she can relax and realize she's done the best thing for him.