maybe i could get used to this

RIOTcore

As you know i'm on work experience in a shop, been there 3 days and hated it at first, however this afternoon it got a little bit better. After my dinner break i got told I was on the till, instantly I thought of f**k. One of the store managers musta noticed the thought on my face somehow cuz he laughed a bit and said you'll be fine dont worry. Hmm alot easier said than done, so I go onto the till, hands shaking, butterflies in my tummy with nerves...after a while it got easier, made a few mistakes but the woman i was working with said i was really good considering i'd never done it before. So tomorrow I'm in 12 till 6:30, I don't really want to stack shelves all day, so gonna hope i get put on the till again, if i don't i guess i could always ask couldn't I. The time just goes SO fast when you're on the till cuz you have something to do all the time, rather then finishing all your cages then having to look for something else to do. Never thought I'd see the day where I was actually enjoying work in retail really but hey, guess I am xD

LOL when I first started that's how I felt. I love playing with money when it's my own but when it's someone else's totally freaks me out but honestly time flies when it's busy. The only part I hate is when we get a lull and it's quiet and you've got nothing much to do then fix up the candy or something. I like working the floor myself cause there's always something that needs fixing or re-doing or what not and you get to choose your own break time vs waiting to be sent :P but that's here I dont know how different it may be across the pond lol.

LOL when I first started that's how I felt. I love playing with money when it's my own but when it's someone else's totally freaks me out but honestly time flies when it's busy. The only part I hate is when we get a lull and it's quiet and you've got nothing much to do then fix up the candy or something. I like working the floor myself cause there's always something that needs fixing or re-doing or what not and you get to choose your own break time vs waiting to be sent :P but that's here I dont know how different it may be across the pond lol.

haha i'm not too sure either i mean i know we can go off and go the toilet or get a drink when we want but i just wait until they tell me i can go on a break as i'm pretty new there haha i mean i could maybe get away with some stuff as its just work expereince but i wouldn't want to try. I really hope I get to go on the till again tomorrow though, I also had to speak over the tannoy cuz the till i was on had the mic hahahahaha that was embarressing but fun too. The woman who was training me was like, say "such and such to till 1" or so. I also just wonder around the shop floor when i'm done stacking, just fixing things like if there's something on the shelves that isnt straight i just go up and straighten it or something, you know, just to make myself look busy lol

It's funny for me, I'm not a people person but the times I've worked retail I've always enjoyed working the register 'cause I had a chance to interact with people without it being serious (( and believe me, I was seldom serious! ))

Nic, that "making yourself look busy" is also known as making yourself valuable. Straightening shelves is one of the biggest pits to any retail operation.

Nic, that "making yourself look busy" is also known as making yourself valuable. Straightening shelves is one of the biggest pits to any retail operation.

never thought of it that way, thats why i had some many people asking me where things are haha, some people had right snotty looks on their faces when if i didn't know where the thing they wanted where i'd say "I don't know sorry i've only been here a few days on work experience" some of them its like it's not good enough, well am still technically new, i don't know every detail of the shop just yet

As if you should have it all just dumped into your head when you walk through the door! Yeh, right LOL!!

I was kidding when I made the comment about you being on the dole, I expected that you were living at home or some such. Would you mind explaining to me how your work experience works ... if it's what I think, I sure couldn't see it happening here in the US.

As if you should have it all just dumped into your head when you walk through the door! Yeh, right LOL!!

I was kidding when I made the comment about you being on the dole, I expected that you were living at home or some such. Would you mind explaining to me how your work experience works ... if it's what I think, I sure couldn't see it happening here in the US.

haha ikr like i automatically pick up some sort of radar that helps me know exactly where everything is haha.

what do you mean you expected me to live at home or some such ? uhm well my work experience is just cuz i haven't really had a job before and you need the expereince nowadays rather than the qualifications, I have the quals I just haven't got the experience so the dole told me about the shop i'm at that it does work experience as they don't believe in having the experience to get the job, they prefer people with not so much experience so they themselves can train them up and let people gain the experience. Where I'm at right now I have to do 8 weeks work experience and if they're happy with me and there's a free space they will offer me a job permanently there.

haha ikr like i automatically pick up some sort of radar that helps me know exactly where everything is haha.

what do you mean you expected me to live at home or some such ? uhm well my work experience is just cuz i haven't really had a job before and you need the expereince nowadays rather than the qualifications, I have the quals I just haven't got the experience so the dole told me about the shop i'm at that it does work experience as they don't believe in having the experience to get the job, they prefer people with not so much experience so they themselves can train them up and let people gain the experience. Where I'm at right now I have to do 8 weeks work experience and if they're happy with me and there's a free space they will offer me a job permanently there.

That wasn't meant to be insulting things are different across the pond (both ways!)

That sounds pretty workable all the way 'round honestly. You get some work experience, a potential employer gets a chance to "break you in" to the way they want things done and if all goes right, you get a job that you know. If it doesn't you still have the experience to take on to another potential employer.

Our (at least in Texas) Work Force people may help someone find a job, but that doesn't mean it fits. People here now are taking anything they can do, even if it means a pay or position cut from what they were doing.

I just couldn't picture most of our "Young Folks" working for nothing and that's how too many of them would see it.

Keep up the good work and good luck there!

That wasn't meant to be insulting things are different across the pond (both ways!)

That sounds pretty workable all the way 'round honestly. You get some work experience, a potential employer gets a chance to "break you in" to the way they want things done and if all goes right, you get a job that you know. If it doesn't you still have the experience to take on to another potential employer.

Our (at least in Texas) Work Force people may help someone find a job, but that doesn't mean it fits. People here now are taking anything they can do, even if it means a pay or position cut from what they were doing.

I just couldn't picture most of our "Young Folks" working for nothing and that's how too many of them would see it.

Keep up the good work and good luck there!

well, i don't get money from the shop itself but i get my dole money which isn't much but it's better than nothing, it's roughly just over £106 every two weeks, its not much but it's enough to get me by atleast until I have gained the experience to pick up a payable job really xD

I started on the "till" at a very busy petrol station. Never worked with "the public" before.

Piece of cake.

Rule One. Leave your personal $h!t at home. NEVER bring it to work and inflict it on the customers.

Rule two. Smile, be nice, eye contact.

Rule three. Be Nice, be efficient.

Rule four. Be nice, Talk to the customers, but don't get personal.

Rule five.Be nice, thank them, look over their shoulder to the next customer and smile like they are the 'sun shining out from behind a stormy cloud'. "Hi, how can I help you. ??"

Sounds cheesy ???

Sure, but then I made manager in 12 months from start.

I don't work in retail any more, however I value the lessons I learned.

I started on the "till" at a very busy petrol station. Never worked with "the public" before.

Piece of cake.

Rule One. Leave your personal $h!t at home. NEVER bring it to work and inflict it on the customers.

Rule two. Smile, be nice, eye contact.

Rule three. Be Nice, be efficient.

Rule four. Be nice, Talk to the customers, but don't get personal.

Rule five.Be nice, thank them, look over their shoulder to the next customer and smile like they are the 'sun shining out from behind a stormy cloud'. "Hi, how can I help you. ??"

Sounds cheesy ???

Sure, but then I made manager in 12 months from start.

I don't work in retail any more, however I value the lessons I learned.

wow really 12 months from the start and you where manager ? congrats on doing that man I don't think many people manage that!

wow really 12 months from the start and you where manager ? congrats on doing that man I don't think many people manage that!

Put yourself forward for ANY training.

Be nice, be pleasant,

Watch how everyone else slacks off and screws up. . . DO THE OPPOSITE.

I'm not saying suck up to the manager, you don't need to.

Think about how YOU want to be treated and served as a customer

then make that your template.

If the possibility for promotion comes up, grab it with both hands.

Even if it doesn't work out, you CAN put it on your C.V.

Employers want experience, you don't get it doing the same job for 10 years.

If retail there is anything like retail here, the shops are begging for people who can manage a store.

IF you enjoy it, it can be a lot of fun! If it's a job then you'll do what most everyone else does - move on.

If you enjoy it advancement, within the store and the company can come quickly!

@Andy I like your rules and agree with them except you left out rule six: the one that says "It doesn't matter, BE NICE!"

I always enjoyed working the night shift. Of course I got the rowdy SOB's but it also gave me the chance to get to know a little about them and was able to greet them by name - which means a lot to a customer! "Hi John, two packs of Lucky's?" almost guarantees he'll be back ...

@Andy I like your rules and agree with them except you left out rule six: the one that says "It doesn't matter, BE NICE!"

:up: 100%