Taste of the Wild Vs. What Vet Says

Pupelvr

So we are in this dilemma right now. While Neptune was sick our vet asked us what dry food we will be putting him on. I told her that we will be putting him on Taste of the Wild, since we heard some many Husky owners using it on this site. She said that she had a lot of patients (dogs) coming in with a lot of problems with this food.

So I wanted to hear your opinion on TOTW. Right now, he gets a half a can of Hill Prescription Wet Food and 3/4 cups of dry TOTW for Breakfast and Dinner. He hasn't had any diarrhea, but he is getting a bit CHUBBY!! (It's so cute (right now) to see his little chubby self!!) LOL

Just want your thoughts or advise. I told my boyfriend that if he gets diarrhea, once, I would like to put him on Blue Buffalo then.

Thank you

TOTW is grain free, so adding the Hills science diet is kind of counter-productive since it's main ingredient is corn. I don't understand why you would put him on BB if he gets diarrhea as BB (the regular version anyway- not Wilderness) is a less quality kibble... Again that seems counter productive. :huh: Don't want that to come off as rude... I really just don't understand.

While I know it's difficult to stray away from the advice of a vet, you have to understand that nutrition isn't an area that I trust many vets because the training they receive is a rep from Hills telling them that if patient complains of xyz "prescribe" Hills food abc. My vet knows to back down and not try and upsell me anything from Science Diet/Hills/Royal Canin and he's not concerned for the safety of my dogs as they are well cared for and in good health.

Sorry to say your vet is full of it. TOTW is one of the best foods on the market and probably among the most popular on this forum, I personally have my boy on it and have never had a problem. Hills on the other hand is below-average, vets only encourage it as they get a nice fat premium if you buy it from them, i think its somewhere in the 40-45% range of the sales price in the UK.

If he's getting chubby, you might want to cut down on how much you're feeding or increase exercise. I never had that issue with Aries, I was lucky enough to be able to free feed him, he just ate what he need, when he wanted and that was that :)

Edit: What Kristina said^

TOTW is grain free, so adding the Hills science diet is kind of counter-productive since it's main ingredient is corn. I don't understand why you would put him on BB if he gets diarrhea as BB (the regular version anyway- not Wilderness) is a less quality kibble... Again that seems counter productive. :huh: Don't want that to come off as rude... I really just don't understand.

While I know it's difficult to stray away from the advice of a vet, you have to understand that nutrition isn't an area that I trust many vets because the training they receive is a rep from Hills telling them that if patient complains of xyz "prescribe" Hills food abc. My vet knows to back down and not try and upsell me anything from Science Diet/Hills/Royal Canin and he's not concerned for the safety of my dogs as they are well cared for and in good health.

The reason we are giving him Wet Hills Prescription food is because he is getting over parvo. I am not looking for quality dog food just yet, just trying to make sure he eats breakfast and dinner until he is off his antibiotics. But I just want to make sure that he will be okay when we stop the wet food. That is all. So I see where you are coming from and you are making sense and your not being rude. Just being informational, that's all and thank you for that.

The reason we are giving him Wet Hills Prescription food is because he is getting over parvo. I am not looking for quality dog food just yet, just trying to make sure he eats breakfast and dinner until he is off his antibiotics. But I just want to make sure that he will be okay when we stop the wet food.

I can understand that- but if you're already feeding a higher quality, better kibble which he seems to be eating... I don't know why you'd want to make the switch... Unless he's not eating? Truthfully since he's coming off Parvo I would be more inclined to feed a higher quality kibble. If I remember correctly Parvo whacks the little guys pretty hard.