Pure Siberian Or No?

BaileyBoo

My fiance and I are getting a Husky puppy and I want to find out exactly what she is if I can.

I was told that she is 1/4 wolf 3/4 husky (her wording) by the person we are getting her from.

I've been told by Wolfdog enthusiasts that there is a very slim chance she has any wolf content in her at all. I was also told by some of them that she's pure Siberian and other's told me Siberian/GSD mix.

The thing is, she's only 9 days old and I only have head shot photos of the parents.

Gracie (Said Puppy)

post-2387-0-67237800-1363643340_thumb.jp

Mother

[ATTACH]26275[/ATTACH]

Father

[ATTACH]26276[/ATTACH]

post-6168-13585997090899_thumb.jpg

post-6168-13585997091895_thumb.jpg

post-6168-1358599709238_thumb.jpg

post-6168-13585997093079_thumb.jpg

post-6168-13585997094139_thumb.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not a pure Siberian Husky. Both mum and dad don't look like huskies - they have a very different head and expression than a husky would have. Also the puppy's coat color is not specific to a sibe.

It's hard to say what the puppy is exactly, but again, judging by the looks of the parents, I wouldn't be so sure about the GSD part either.

I didn't even think about akita. That they do. After I saw them, I was a little disappointed :/ I was really wanting a copper sibe with definite markings, but we looked for a while and this was the closest we could get in our price range in our area.

We stalked CraigsList and searched the local shelter's websites.

Be careful of people who claim the puppies are % of wolf. There are a LOT of scams involving wolfdog puppies - so be careful! A lot of breeders claim their puppies are a % of wolf when they are less than that...or when there is NO wolf % in them at all!

See the parents and the puppy yourself, if possible. Check the temperment of the parents and of the puppy, when she is older. Don't make any deposits until the puppy is older, then we can tell what the puppy is.

Also check to see if there are any regulations for your area regarding wolf dogs, or if you can even own a wolfdog legally.

Also, wolf-dogs can be unpredictable because they ARE part wolf. If you thinking asserting yourself with a pure bred Sibe is horrible...then a husky/wolf mix (if that is what she is) will be a lot worse!

As soon as we were told by the owner that she supposedly has wolf in her, I started researching wolfdogs and plan on continuing to do so.

I'm also still going to be stalking craigslist and the local shelters.

I'm happy to see that! A lot of people buy the wolfdogs just because they are 'cool' to have.

Hope you find your Sibe! :)

I'd be wary about purchasing a puppy from this person. Parents don't look full Siberian, especially mom. Dad- perhaps but he doesn't look well bred at all. Have you seen either parent? Or seen where these dogs live? Personally, I wouldn't purchase a puppy from them.

Where are you located?

Looks like a Wolf, You can tell by the oversized features of the dog. In your case the nose is of Wolf breed, % can be further proven when the pup reachs a couple months old. Examine her paws and if they're about the size of your fist she's most likely wolf. By the way Blonde huskies stick out alot in communities as its debatable wether White is more rare then Blonde haired huskies.

Also the way the father has his head hung appears to show temperament or aggression issues.

CORRECT!!! I meant to say that :duh:. I would be lost with out you:)

:)

@BaileyBoo Wolfdog hybrids are considered to be Class II, so the permit to own one would be around $250, and I think you also have to get 80% on a written exam. Or maybe the exam is only for the breeder's license?

My sister who lives in VA has a wolf (100%) and a wolf-hybrid, she says that she had to obtain a license to be able to have the wolf and show she had a safe escape-proof place to keep it. She also asserts that the hybrid is the more aggressive of the two and that it was a mistake to have both of them-they are meant to be in the wild and keeping them like they have to be with their nature isn't in the best interest of the animal. Currently, she is getting a divorce, living in NY and her husband will find a place to take them, a sanctuary. I would advise against wolves, or hybrids of them for your sake and theirs

sorry no not huskies, maybe part huskies, but i'd say 50% max, parents look a bit akita-ish?

Yes I was going to say that Father has a very Akita head and look to him...I would also say unless you are experienced at handling any dog with a slight chance of having wolf in them, then I would not go near that puppy. If you can only afford $50 then I would wait and be patient and keep saving and look for a Husky where there aren't so many questionable traits. I have 3 Huskies and 2 of them were adults when we gave them a home. The pup was a nightmare getting to the stage that she is now,:arghh: so if it were me I would give an older Husky a chance. I just don't get why people would intentionally cross a wolf with a domesticated dog.:angry1: You also need to think about what will happen if you do get this puppy and it turns out to be aggressive......what then? If you can only afford $50 then in my opinion you need to reconsider. In the long run it may cost you an absolute fortune if this does go wrong. I don't know everything,and this could turn out to be the most wonderfully behaved, loyal dog there ever was..... even with all of the negatives it sure is cute and I am sure I would be all over that puppy breath....but knowing what I know now I have to think with my head and not my heart! :dramaqueen:I also know the feeling of " I want it NOW!" :whistling: Oh ..and that Father looks like he just wants to eat you in that pic! :yikes: