Pure Siberian Or No?

BaileyBoo

Hey there Bailey not so sure about your pup but I am apart of a great wolfdog forum if you'd like the link please let me know ( I don't think I can post it here?) They helped me a LOT and I ended up deciding against getting a wolfdog for now. They are a LOT of work way more than any domestic dog can come close to. As for the breeder if they have no papers to prove percentage they are full of it that's one of the easiest scams people will pull with "wolfdogs" Good on you doing your research and please take what owners of true wolfdogs say to heart. Not trying to scare you off or anything lol but it really opened up my eyes joining that forum and hearing first hand accounts of people who live with them and I came to the conclusion while it would be "cool" I don't have the capability nor space to handle one :) (that and that law thing helped to LOL)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't get the pup if you're undure of it's background as it could be hard to predict and if it turns out to be what you're not expecting then that could mean another dog being put into a rescue centre :(

The rehome you're looking at is beautiful! :)

Are you going to be able to afford vet bills and training classes ect though if you're only setting a budget of $50? Here in the UK for a pure breed Siberian you're looking at around £600 for a pup then all of the extra costs on top, I know I spent around £300 in the first month of having millie just on esentials for her x

After Cheyenne I swore no more puppies again, and while Rodeo certainly isn't a "puppy puppy" he's still young enough to give me a good reminder why I DIDN'T want to do another puppy! Husky puppies are a serious pain in the butt.

AMEN sister! This is why we have Luna ..... lol she needed us as well! I say go for Storm! She is gorgeous and u will at least know a bit about her background and what to look forward to. I wish u all the best which ever one u decide to get though. Both are very pretty.

Ugh, yeah, I wouldn't go near those "breeders" at all. The mother looks like a lab cross, for crying out loud! I loathe backyard breeding. *sigh*

The problem too with selecting a specific puppy when they're that young is that you don't get to see anything of their personality at all to determine whether they will be a good fit for your family

Storm is definitely very husky! Likely not purebred either, but there's nothing wrong with that at all! How much do they want for him at the rescue? You'll be hard pressed to find ANY dog for 50$, and the chances of getting a husky puppy for that are virtually nil. Shelters (in places I've lived anyway) usually want over 100$ to cover at least some of their expenses. There are plenty of dogs available for free, but one doesn't get to be picky on the breed in those situations.

Though having said that, we totally lucked out and found a purebred who was given away for free! Granted, he was also 7 years old and it was a rather unique situation...

Storms adoption fee is $100.

We are starting to think about waiting for tax time to get a puppy from a breeder. That way, we know we'll have the money not only to pay for the pup, but to keep up with the vet bills and to have everything she needs :)

thats a good idea.

Storms adoption fee is $100.

We are starting to think about waiting for tax time to get a puppy from a breeder. That way, we know we'll have the money not only to pay for the pup, but to keep up with the vet bills and to have everything she needs :)

Out of curiosity, why would you pass up the opportunity to rescue a dog in favour of paying more for a puppy later? You're looking at anywhere from 300$ (for backyard bred, sketchy pup) to 1600$ for a quality Siberian husky. Wouldn't that money be better spent on food, supplies and vaccinations? And those expenses will still be there with a more expensive pup - you'll just have less to spend on them...

If Storm doesn't pan out you can always keep a sharp eye on the rescue for a more suitable dog. :)

My fiance had bought a Husky from a breeder a few years ago (he went to Oregon and left the dog with someone he thought he could trust and she just let her free) and paid $300 for her. He loved that dog and from what I've heard, she was a smart, loyal dog. He wants to find that breeder again and I agree with him :)

I'm not expert, but I would agree those don't look like pure Huskies to me. I got a great deal on Hee-mang (my 5yr female) from a guy in the Air Force here in Korea. He bred back home, but this litter was an accidental one and the military wouldn't pay to send back all 4 pups (just the mom and dad that they brought with them). Got her at 3 months for just under 400USD with only one round of shots left to go.

Our breeder, which I consider to be a very responsible one (ignoring the accidental breeding, but stuff happens), provided us with the full pedigree as well as interviewing us (pictures of our home included) to ensure we knew what we were getting into and could take care of her. We also signed a contract with him, which part of it stated that if we ever decided to get rid of her (how could I...) that we would contact him and allow him to take her back.

I also helped a friend of mine buy a Husky here in Korea, from a local breeder and sled dog racer. He paid a little more (around 800USD) and also got the exact same list of items and contract that we got from a completely different breeder. If we ever decide to get another dog (which we've discussed, I want another Husky but my wife wants something else) I won't consider anyone that doesn't have the same list of requirements (without me bringing it up of course).

My fiance had bought a Husky from a breeder a few years ago (he went to Oregon and left the dog with someone he thought he could trust and she just let her free) and paid $300 for her. He loved that dog and from what I've heard, she was a smart, loyal dog. He wants to find that breeder again and I agree with him :)

Thats a bit disturbing to read..........so what happened to the Dog that he owned? Why did he not take the dog with him? What happens to the new pup if he decides to up and go to Oregon again?