To neuter or not to neuter

kgerard

I posted this topic about a year ago when Lloyd was a pup. He's now 14 months old, and it's likely time to consider the benefits of neutering. (I previously had two other Sibes whom were female, where spaying is a no-brainer).

Lloyd hasn't been at all aggressive nor humping anything (animal or otherwise), yet his frequent urination has become an issue. He has a proclivity towards urinating on entertainment centers in particular. At first I presumed he just didn't appreciate the programming and was providing his critical input. Yet it's now migrated to the corner of a particular bedspread. Both are obviously unacceptable. Note that at over a year he is potty trained; his indoor urination occurs when he is left alone in the house - perhaps the result of separation anxiety.

My question is: Has anyone ever encountered adverse consequences from neutering their Sibe?

All the best,

- Keith and Lloyd

sounds like he is marking his 'territory' neutering CAN help with this - as its to do with dominance

a little off topic - but can i ask about u spaying ur girls - did u find it changed them in anyway ? did the operations go ok? (i need to get my girl done but very worried about it)

ETA : only changes ive seen in blaze getting neutered have been for the better - hes alot calmer and more loving :)

He has a proclivity towards urinating on entertainment centers in particular. At first I presumed he just didn't appreciate the programming and was providing his critical input.

Typical husky, has to voice his opinion :P

Have only had females before so no experience with neutering. My ex had his male pit neutered without any complications at all, he was back to normal within a few days and did help to calm him down as he was incredibly boistrous.

Was about to say @BingBlaze'n'Skyla has got a simliar thread going but noticed she's already commented :)

a little off topic - but can i ask about u spaying ur girls - did u find it changed them in anyway ? did the operations go ok? (i need to get my girl done but very worried about it)

No issues with any Sibe females being spayed. Some say that it induces weight gain, but I haven't seen it over the course of two Siberians in my lifetime, but it has affected three Australian shepherds later in life.

Regardless, spaying greatly diminishes the high risk of cervical cancer in females at an early age, and is subsequently well worth it.

No issues with any Sibe females being spayed. Some say that it induces weight gain, but I haven't seen it over the course of two Siberians in my lifetime, but it has affected three Australian shepherds later in life.

Regardless, spaying greatly diminishes the high risk of cervical cancer in females at an early age, and is subsequently well worth it.

thanks :) weight gain is one of the things im worried about as me n skyla have recently battled with her weight n ive finally got her down to a nice healthy weight n really dont want her to put any back on again

My parents have always had all of our canine siblings neutered and I didn't think twice about having Teeko done. We have had no ill effects whatsoever and have the benefit of him not being overly excited by a passing bitch in heat. Changes in behaviour for the better are more common than for the worse but these obviously can not be guaranteed. He may calm down. He may become more loving and playful or.....he may not! But, as with bitches, it prevents a wealth of health problems...testicular cancer being just one of these. Teeks piddled in the house only twice before we had him done (he was already booked in) and he hasnt done it since being done but....as it was only a couple of weeks between piddling incidents and neutering I cants say one way or the other if it was the neutering that did it or the telling off when I caught him piddling on our bath mat!

My parents have always had all of our canine siblings neutered and I didn't think twice about having Teeko done. We have had no ill effects whatsoever and have the benefit of him not being overly excited by a passing bitch in heat. Changes in behaviour for the better are more common than for the worse but these obviously can not be guaranteed. He may calm down. He may become more loving and playful or.....he may not! But, as with bitches, it prevents a wealth of health problems...testicular cancer being just one of these. Teeks piddled in the house only twice before we had him done (he was already booked in) and he hasnt done it since being done but....as it was only a couple of weeks between piddling incidents and neutering I cants say one way or the other if it was the neutering that did it or the telling off when I caught him piddling on our bath mat!

LMAO --- Well, if you got neutered for piddling on the bath mat, would you do it again????