Is she really not going to grow more?

Taylor Myers

My husky puppy, Terra, is going to be 6 months in a few days and I showed my friend this picture of her:

300310_1850632404152_1791022035_1220815_575087610_n.jpg

and she said she's owned huskies for years and she knows that Terra won't grow anymore bigger (maybe a little she said), and she's very small right now (to my eyes only maybe?) and I was just wondering, is she really not going to grow, like barely ? :(

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at 5 months, yes she will grow some more, she will continue growing until she is 2, but it slows right down at about 8-10 months, then its just filling out really

huskies arent actually big dogs, but people think they are, i know i was surprised at how small they actually were compared to what i thought!

mine isn't very big, in fact today at a meet we met a puppy of 16/17 weeks who really wasn't much smaller and mine is nearly 2 but has been stuck at 19-19.6kgs since we got her at 7 months old. One thing I did notice was - they come in all shapes and sizes, from compact to quite tall and lean. She looks lovely so I wouldn't worry.

They carrying on growing until around 18 months then they are usually at the height they will stay at.. I remember being told that on their front legs just above the foot is a knobble, when this is flat and not as noticable that's when they have reached their height... you can see it on Kira's photo quite clearly :)

They carrying on growing until around 18 months then they are usually at the height they will stay at.. I remember being told that on their front legs just above the foot is a knobble, when this is flat and not as noticable that's when they have reached their height... you can see it on Kira's photo quite clearly :)

that's interesting to know :)

Kira is beautiful as well, but she looks way bigger than my Terra and Kira`s even younger ! O:

thank-you :)

She's changed alot since i first had her, I guess becuase i'm with her all the time i don't notice so much when she gets a bit bigger :P

Post some more pictures of terra! her colours are so nice i wan't to see what she looks like :)

Look at the circled area on Kira's picture - this area of the carpus (our wrist) is where the growth plate is. You can see the area looks rather knobby. When they are done growing, this area is smooth, you can't even feel the bump of the growth plate.

[ATTACH=full]26674[/ATTACH]

I've never heard that before now, just been to have a look at her 'knobly bits' :P

Maya is just about 7 months old and she is slowing down in her height growth an still seems pretty small, and am just waiting till she starts filling out, but even though she is small, she seems in good proportions to the rest of her body so i am not worried so much... It is very deceptive seening her size and then feeling her pull, it just doesnt seem right, when i originally did the research before getting her i imagined her to be bigger as the pulling power etc, but ive ben pleasantly suprised.

also this photo is taken from me being quite far back an zooming in so perspective might have something to do with her looking so big (or that it just uploaded huge haha)

Ahaha, maybe, but also your Kira's front legs are WAAAAY longer than Terra's in the photo, so Im not sure. :P and her knees/wrists or whatever are VERY knobby.

Seeing as Terras 6months old she'll grow a bit taller, like an inch or two. Im surprised Terra hasn't blown the fur on her legs yet, my girl has only one layer on her legs at the moment. Her body is sure to begin the blowing phase soon. Its too bad your pups a female, otherwise our huskies would make some amazing coloured pups haha.

As for the knobby legs goes, Bandit still has a little ways to go. Her withers are 23-24inches atm, outside of the breed standard and shes only 8months.