dog kills newborn

BingBlaze n Skyla

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an FYI, the article is dated June 8, 2010 .

Sad, but it should be noted that this was not something that has happened recently.

Playing the devils advocate, I often wonder how those who give stats on such incidences do so. Do they check dates on each report, or exactly how do they find these things. I know that Nix keeps her eyes out for all things husky and if she didn't catch the date, would those who issue stats on incidences involving huskies (or other breeds) catch it? Just a thought.

Sad, but it should be noted that this was not something that has happened recently.

Playing the devils advocate, I often wonder how those who give stats on such incidences do so. Do they check dates on each report, or exactly how do they find these things. I know that Nix keeps her eyes out for all things husky and if she didn't catch the date, would those who issue stats on incidences involving huskies (or other breeds) catch it? Just a thought.

Yeah, this is old news. I actually linked it in this thread a few weeks ago as an example as to why no dog should ever be trusted with a small child.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/bit-daughter-in-face.30833/

Finding statistics on dog attacks is supremely difficult. Wikipedia has an awesome list of fatalities in the United States here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

But obviously incidents like this one in Canada don't make the list. Global stats are impossible to find. A Canadian report covering 1990-2007 can be found here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2387261/

I think the statistics can be reliable in that there are no repeats though - in all lists the date of each attack is presented.

For the American stats, 88% of all dog attack fatalities were over the age of 1 year, and 56% of all attacks were on kids younger than 10. Of that 56%, 9% of the attacks were huskies.

Every single fatal husky attack reported is on a child younger than 2 years, most often newborns. I think it's pretty safe to say that these fatalities were due to the husky's prey drive and misunderstanding about what the baby is. It smells human, but it probably viewed feeble, weak and bite-sized, moving in a decidedly lunch-like way.

I would actually be rather interested in bite statistics and how they correlate to fatalities. I did find this list, but I can't verify it's authenticity.

http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/8689-dog-bite-statistics-breed.html

Whilst this is dated, it's articles like this that tend to make the news more prominently than articles doing things like promoting responsible pet ownership, what hard work dogs are, or just general + anything about dogs regardless of breed...

Having a newborn, and several younger kids...it is pretty much a no brainer that you don't leave dogs unattended with the wee ones. I don't even go to the bathroom and leave our newborn in the same room as the dogs...it's not that I don't trust our dogs so much as it's better to be safe than sorry....I do wonder what happened in this case but not enough to dig around and find out...in the end it's a tragedy regardless of when it happened and I'm sure the mother won't ever forgive herself for what happened. I'm not sure that the legal system can introduce any more brutal punishment than what the woman has already received.

Whilst this is dated, it's articles like this that tend to make the news more prominently than articles doing things like promoting responsible pet ownership, what hard work dogs are, or just general + anything about dogs regardless of breed...

Having a newborn, and several younger kids...it is pretty much a no brainer that you don't leave dogs unattended with the wee ones. I don't even go to the bathroom and leave our newborn in the same room as the dogs...it's not that I don't trust our dogs so much as it's better to be safe than sorry....I do wonder what happened in this case but not enough to dig around and find out...in the end it's a tragedy regardless of when it happened and I'm sure the mother won't ever forgive herself for what happened. I'm not sure that the legal system can introduce any more brutal punishment than what the woman has already received.

As to what happened:

"...the mother told him that everything happened quickly at the residence they share with another couple.

He says she went outside to join her mother  the baby’s grandmother  for a smoke and she wasn’t even a few metres from the girl. Within a matter of seconds, she heard something from inside the house.

“She (the baby) was in a little rocking chair and she was rocking gently,†he said.

“She (the mother) hadn’t even closed the door when she heard (a) noise. She went back into the house. And the dog had jumped on the child.

“It was a moment of inattention.â€Â

The huskies, a male and a female, belong to the couple’s housemates, the newborn’s father said. He described them as “super-affectionate,†obedient pets."

really wanted to hear the results of this case, but I can't find anything online after the initial June reports. :eek: While looking for more recent articles, I found this one on the same story from New Zealand. Apparently:

"McInnis said Tuesday that the baby was left in a car seat on the kitchen floor while her mother and grandmother were smoking cigarettes outside. He says the women were looking at flowers in the garden and did not hear the child's screams."

Wow. The media sure loves conjecture, don't they? What a horrible picture it paints by adding those few little words!

I think a charge of manslaughter is a little over the top - if anything criminal negligence causing death could be the worst that could be said. Especially what with the whole "common sense not being so common" issues in society. It seems perfectly obvious to me that you wouldn't leave a baby somewhere that any dog could access them, but then you add the additional factors of 17 year-old mother, 3-week old baby (so, teenage mom who is still very new to this), and probably the dogs weren't even in the room when she stepped out - out of sight, out of mind. It all rolls into a moment of inattention with horrifically tragic results.

I just found this video:

hYVVCRqTz1Q

Adorable? Absolutely. But I can't help but see that the dog could have just as easily become annoyed by the baby crying in his ear and given it a snap. Even an inhibited bite could cause irreparable damage to a baby. And the dog would have lost its life, and the family a much-loved member, because of a simple "stop that!" Keep looking on YouTube for babies and huskies and you will find tons of videos of people letting their huskies very close to their newborns.

So really, I think the surprise isn't that it happens, but that it doesn't happen more often!

OMG with a bone and everything!!

Comments are disabled on the video - I wonder why! "stop tellin me i put my son at rsk!!1! u dunno him hes a gud dog!"

Exactly!

Whilst I know that Cookie is great with children, I would never EVER let a child crawl all over her like that!

★ Emma & Cookie ★

Not only that, but what does it teach the kid? The next dog that boy tries to climb on, or even approach when it has something, likely won't be as forgiving.

I'm actually appalled by how many kids have no notion of how to meet and pet strange dogs. Both of mine are super good (Wyatt especially LOVES little kids) and local kids often want to pet them. I make the kids stop and wait until the dogs are both sitting before they can pet and make them present their hands for sniffing, but so many of them just ignore me and are so excited they try to go right for the dog's face. I always stop and correct them, but they seriously don't get it! One older girl (10ish) was holding the arm of a 2 year old and having him pet Scout's face. I told her no and to pet the shoulder but when I turned around again she was doing it again. I told her to never pet a strange dog's face and told her shoulder, and a third time she was poking the kid's hand in Scout's face!! One time a kid even got on to Wyatt's back and tried to ride him (at that point it was time to go!). Fortunately we've made sure they're good with all that, but Jesus!

The lab I had in the early 80's was good with kids, but I found that out by accident.

I was at my aunts in Louisiana doing some yard work for her. Lady was with me, "helping" sometimes, sometimes just wandering around the yard playing with whatever came handy.

I heard her whining so figured she got into one of the outbuildings and couldn't get out so I went looking for her - the very old couple of lady's who lived next door had a couple of g-grandkids visiting, 2 - 4 somewhere in there - and one of the kids was trying to pull Lady through a chain link fence to pet her, Needless, Lady could easily have pulled away, probably scraped a kids hand on the fence, she could have nipped, all the things she could have done and she just stood there waiting for me to come help get her away from this terror!!

Why some dogs are so excellent with kids and some are, well, just the opposite is completely beyond me. Why any parent would so completely trust any child with a dog ( that they weren't completely comfortable with ) is again beyond me.

this story did the rounds a few months ago too, yet it was a year and half ago... so some people could hear about these things 3 times and get it in their head that this was 3 different incidents.

In Australia, media coverage of dog attacks has gone through the roof latley after a small child was killed by a pit bull x bull mastiff. Now every dog bite related incident makes the news especially if the word pit bull if related (In Victoria councils now have the power to seize and euthenize any dog that they THINK is a pit bull) its crazy so many people are going to get the wrong idea about dogs and think they are dangerous etc

The two grandchildren of Ruth grown up with Glala and Dana as well. At no point do we leave them both alone, we're keeping a hawk eye on them at all time and Ruth taught them very well about how to get along with them.

I agree the last video is just bad but I the other two look similar to to Glala and Dana. They are curious but very calm and the children know to be gentle with them when they approach them. When the dogs have enough they either back off to the other side of the room or want to go outside in the garden. It once happened that one quickly crawled right over Dana who was lying on the floor :duh: Of course we don't want that and stopped him, be Dana didn't seemed to care at all.

It's a matter of training and knowing both and only have them together when you actually trust them. Therefore I find it hard to judge both a random dog and child just from a single video.

Very sad, now that girl has lost her baby and her dogs :(

People shouldn't leave their baby unattended ever, especially around dogs!

I had a client yesterday bring her child with her to which I had to tell her I couldn't treat her as we have a no children on the premises policy (unless the child is seeing a doctor), she then replied oh well ill just go and leave him outside. He was 4 and she wanted to leave him standing on the street unattended in Birmingham city centre!

Very sad, now that girl has lost her baby and her dogs :(

People shouldn't leave their baby unattended ever, especially around dogs!

I had a client yesterday bring her child with her to which I had to tell her I couldn't treat her as we have a no children on the premises policy (unless the child is seeing a doctor), she then replied oh well ill just go and leave him outside. He was 4 and she wanted to leave him standing on the street unattended in Birmingham city centre!

:wtf::banghead: you should have reminded her of Jamie Bulger!

:wtf::banghead: you should have reminded her of Jamie Bulger!

I swear this woman did not care for her child at all. I told her I couldn't let her leave him outside as I already knew she's brought him with her, she said it was no different than leaving him at nursery, to which I replied nurseries are registered as childcare providers so its very different, to which she replied not the one I leave him at! :eek:

I swear this woman did not care for her child at all. I told her I couldn't let her leave him outside as I already knew she's brought him with her, she said it was no different than leaving him at nursery, to which I replied nurseries are registered as childcare providers so its very different, to which she replied not the one I leave him at! :eek:

again :wtf: seriously some people should not be allowed to breed.

The two grandchildren of Ruth grown up with Glala and Dana as well. At no point do we leave them both alone, we're keeping a hawk eye on them at all time and Ruth taught them very well about how to get along with them.

I agree the last video is just bad but I the other two look similar to to Glala and Dana. They are curious but very calm and the children know to be gentle with them when they approach them. When the dogs have enough they either back off to the other side of the room or want to go outside in the garden. It once happened that one quickly crawled right over Dana who was lying on the floor :duh: Of course we don't want that and stopped him, be Dana didn't seemed to care at all.

It's a matter of training and knowing both and only have them together when you actually trust them. Therefore I find it hard to judge both a random dog and child just from a single video.

See therein lies the issue though. I'm sure that dog in the first video could lay beside that baby 100 times with no issue. The owners could feel the dog is 100% trustworthy. It still doesn't change the fact that the one time he might for any number of reasons snap at the child is going to have dire consequences. It would be wonderful to have that kind of absolute trust in a dog, but the statistics for children being bit by family pets are huge enough to drive home the point that any dog can have a threshold for tolerance, and I would never want to find out what that is with a baby! Tragic stories are rife with quotes to the effect of "he's never done anything like this before," "she was such a good dog, we never thought this could happen!"

Its awful hearing about dogs attacking and it can be nerve wracking. We fully intend to have children in the not too distant future, but my dogs will most certainly remain a part of my family, so my life will have to change accordingly! I adore my dogs and think they are gentle and loving and intelligent but I would never trust them unattended with a child...it would just be irresposible. I know alot on here have families and huskies....rest assured I will be begging for advice when the time finally comes that we are fortunate enough to have children to add to our family! And I know many many people grew up around dogs. Its the idiots that give them a bad name.

Personally I think cats are worse!