dog kills newborn

BingBlaze n Skyla

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See therein lies the issue though. I'm sure that dog in the first video could lay beside that baby 100 times with no issue. The owners could feel the dog is 100% trustworthy. It still doesn't change the fact that the one time he might for any number of reasons snap at the child is going to have dire consequences. It would be wonderful to have that kind of absolute trust in a dog, but the statistics for children being bit by family pets are huge enough to drive home the point that any dog can have a threshold for tolerance, and I would never want to find out what that is with a baby! Tragic stories are rife with quotes to the effect of "he's never done anything like this before," "she was such a good dog, we never thought this could happen!"

Lets set this clear, I do not thrust them 100%. I do trust the younger one to be with the dogs under supervision though (he is a bit older than the ones in that video). The times we have to correct them is getting more and more rare. The other child is much older and wiser now and really knows how to handle them. He even warned me to not pet Glala as she can be a bit grumpy at times :D

I just found this video:

hYVVCRqTz1Q

Adorable? Absolutely. But I can't help but see that the dog could have just as easily become annoyed by the baby crying in his ear and given it a snap. Even an inhibited bite could cause irreparable damage to a baby. And the dog would have lost its life, and the family a much-loved member, because of a simple "stop that!" Keep looking on YouTube for babies and huskies and you will find tons of videos of people letting their huskies very close to their newborns.

So really, I think the surprise isn't that it happens, but that it doesn't happen more often!

Lol Marius howls when babys cry :P he isnt near them ofc but he always makes it a point to howl especially when he cannot see the baby and he hears it crying. And even if the dog doesnt go to bite the baby just turning its head quickly and whacking the baby is dangerous. I think videos like these are ment to show people how gentle that breed is :P not how you shouldnt be putting ur baby near ur dog

Ryn is very attentive to our four month old granddaughter, kenleigh. She too cries when Kenleigh cries, and tends to kiss and kiss her when she greets the baby. While I don't believe that Ryn would intentionally hurt the baby, I know that Ryn has a tendency to "mother" her and with that comes 'discipline'. I would never, ever, ever trust Ryn alone with Kenleigh for that reason.

She would never intentionally hurt the baby, but it could happen and then..........well, she'd be one of "those" dogs. I don't think I could bear the hurt of her doing it nor the 'badge' she would wear forever after.

I never leave my boys with Poppie unattended even if I know on the major part my boys could never really be bothered with Poppie, which just means that she tries to get their attention even more so, I've had to tell them off for smacking her and kicking her in the past, though they seem to have gotten the message now because if she is doing something they don't like like they will say loudly 'Poppie NO!' I know Poppie would never intentionally Hurt my children but she has shown, even more so with my cats kittens that she has a very motherly instinct, but even that would not let me leave her unattended with children or kittens, so if i can't watch her fully then she goes outside, I don't like it, I feel like the worst person in the world especially when she looks at me with her big blue and multicolored eyes and to stop my children going outside I have fortunately got a lock on the door which they cannot reach, even with a chair (they like to go outside without me). My boys also get excited when they see strange dogs tied up around supermarkets or at the general store, I have taught them never to pat a strange dog, telling them that a dog may look friendly but then it could turn and bite you and it would really hurt, this seems to have worked since now they just walk past with longing eyes to pat the dog.

My cat Pippin is amazingly tolerant of the kids but unfortunately for her my boys seem to ADORE her, I don't know how many times I've had to tell my boys to leave her alone, sometimes I'll grab her and take her with me just to get her away, she's has only ever growled at them lightly but cats also aren't ones to be left alone with children, my late fiance, the father of my kids was a very good example of that, he was left alone with his nans cat when he was a toddler and was left scarred on his cheek for the rest of his life...and they weren't small either. any animal big small, cat dog etc...should never be left alone with kids.

I even got bitten by a rabbit when I was about 8 years old but i think everyone should know that even if you are in the same room as your pet and your children, even standing next to or in between for that matter, an animal will attack if it is going to. they can be annoyed at anything and attack the nearest target which may be a child. my middle child was merely walking past my grans cat and for no reason what so ever it attack him and drew blood. he was instantly picked up and put outside, granted he wasn't feeling well but all of us adults just so happened to be looking at my son walking past not even giving the slightest notice to that cat, which means you really can never be too careful!

Just remember to watch your kids and if something should happen, try to keep your calm, explain to the child what went wrong and how to do it right the next time and teach your dog to do better as well, saying no and ignoring does do a great job. Just because it happened once doesn't mean it will happen again, children can learn just as quick as a dog, especially when they (the child) get hurt.