How does your husky travel?

Tams Teeko and Keeta

Just wondering how different people transport their beloved huskies.

Up until today, we only had a saloon so Teeko has a seatbelt and sits on the back seat. We have just bought an estate car so that both dogs can be in the boot. But, I still would feel better if they were secured (like with a seatbelt) in some way so that they would be safe in the event of an accident. Any ideas?

So how do you protect yours?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we (usually) travel with a crate in the boot and that's where he is.

If not, on the back seat, with a harness attached to one of the seats, not only in case something happens, but if he is not restrained, he will keep moving and generally, being annoying for the driver.

Basically, we attach a leash to the harness and we tie it to one of the headrests. I think this would work for the dogs being in the booth as well.

We used to just pass a spare seatbelt through the lead / harness for safety although Molly just chills on the back seat - either laying down or looking out of the window. She recognises when we get near her favourite woods!

We now have this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00422L57Y

We have a gate across the storage compartment of our Jeep to keep the dogs back there. I'm not sure how we'd secure dog harnesses back there but it's been on my mind. The gate just keeps them out of the front - it won't prevent them from bouncing around in a wreck...

Whats a ratchet strap? (sorry bit dim!)

1056.JPG

THAT is a ratchet strap...we use them to secure the crates in the back of the truck...but if you can find something to attach them to in the boot type thing you can make sure that they're secured in the event of an accident or the like...

THAT is a ratchet strap...we use them to secure the crates in the back of the truck...but if you can find something to attach them to in the boot type thing you can make sure that they're secured in the event of an accident or the like...

Hmmm...that might just work. There are some handle thingies on the backs of the seats for folding them. Too low to just attach a seatbelt harness but these straps may work. Thanks! I'll get looking.

crates in the mushing van (made bespoke by a local engineer)

th_SAM_1909.jpg

and in the car i have the barjo system whihc is fab- ( front, back guard with a divide) - . its expensive but i managed to get 2nd hand. altho i got this much cheaper if i changed my car i would defo have a similar system

http://www.barjo.co.uk/ there is a good 2nd hand market so worth keeping an eye out on ebay and fleamarket as they are vehicle specific.

In my 4WD wagon Phantom rides in the cargo area tied to one of the cargo points in such a way he cant get into the back seat, if there was an accident he could only move about 200-300mm before hitting the back of the seat which shouldn't hurt him. In my dual cab work ute, again tied to a cargo point really close to the cab and with just enough lead that he could lay against the back of the cab. There's 2 big toolboxes he can't get over on either side too.

The idea of having an accident with the dog in the car really terrifies me. Realistically speaking, even if properly restrained, a dog is much less safe in a car than a human is.

While having a crate in the boot is really convenient, I can't help thinking of what would happen if somebody hit us in the rear of the car.

dont forget how heavy a child becomes if they are not strapped in, so the same for your dog. they could easily kill you if not kept secure.

if using somesort of strapping always use a harness and not use a collar as that would just break the dogs neck in an accident

I agree entirely. i remember a fire brigade talk on one of my teaching practises where they told us that ina 30mph crash a box of tissues on your parcel shelf will hit you with the same force as being hit by a brick. And a 2 year old child....is equivalent to being hit by a baby elephant. Scary thought.

I suppose there is always riska nd you can only do as much as possible to keep everyone safe.

I agree entirely. i remember a fire brigade talk on one of my teaching practises where they told us that ina 30mph crash a box of tissues on your parcel shelf will hit you with the same force as being hit by a brick. And a 2 year old child....is equivalent to being hit by a baby elephant. Scary thought. [...]

That's not true. A tissuebox might fly fast but it has no weight whatsoever. Even the Mythbusters tested it and after the crash the tissuebox even stayed intact after the crash! :rolleyes:

We've got a Barjo type ultrastrong cage in the back of the car (if we're just taking a couple of dogs out) and our van is caged out with 7 cages (each big enough for 2 - unless we take the Leonberger with us and she gets a cage to herself) so we can take them all out with us safely. Our cages are all along one wall of the van, so we have access to them from front or back if we need it.

Mick