Dogs as a deterrent?

Arooroomom

So today at work i'm outside in our yard walking one of our separate dogs (dog daycare/kennel). Our facility is on a very busy metropolitan street and everyone is always rubbernecking to get a look at our dogs. So lately we've had quite a few cars getting busted into. I see a black man walking up from the alley, something told me he was up to something, but i was a little apprehensive about being "politically correct" and trying not to stereotype. Within seconds i hear the smash of a window and watch him take off with my bag. As i'm screaming obscenities at his retreating back pounding out 911 on my cell phone. I cannot believe this happened! RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE :mad:

Which brings me to...

Do you all feel safe when you have your dogs around? I know that i never think twice about walking them at night. People cross the street to avoid me and my beasts. I don't worry about it when i'm pumping gas and they're hanging out my car windows. Beggars on the medians totally avoid my car. Anyone else notice this when they're out with their dogs?

I'm not sure I quite understand what your post is all about. Perhaps it's because I live in a rural area, and don't interface with some of the issues you have. But then again, maybe it's because when I see a person, I don't look at their color or their social status. Or, maybe it's because whenever someone approaches Zoya, her ears go back and her tail wags, and she goes, "woo-woo". Not very scary for anyone who encounters her.

So, this is sort of an answer, and sort of not: I do live in a college town, and, as a young, smaller woman, I try to keep an eye out for my safety. I specifically asked the officer who taught our women's self defense class, and he stated that a dog was one of the best investments a woman who lived alone could make. He said that even he is intimidated by dogs in houses, because they are unpredictable and there's no way of knowing how their loyalty to their owner might manifest. He said that people who live alone who do not have animals might consider having friends' pets visit, just to add the uncertainty to anyone 'casing' the house. (My apartment does not allow pets, but at the time I had a Rottweiler foster who made frequent visits) I've also noticed that people allow me more space when I'm walking my friends' dogs or foster dogs. A tip to women who walk alone: whenever you are asked if your dog is friendly, reply "He/she is comfortable as long as I am comfortable." Our self-defense officer warned us that people are sometimes trying to familiarize themselves with your dog in order to eliminate any protection it might offer.

Having said all that, I would never, ever rely on my dog as a defense. As a visual deterrent, great, but if someone breaks into my house, I feel that it is my responsibility to protect my dog, not vice versa. If I wanted a great guard dog, I wouldn't have gotten a husky.

*sigh*

Here in South Florida you have to be on edge all the time. I didn't get my dogs to scare people away or to protect me or my house. And i don't go walking around spewing out racial slurs. What happened today got me thinking about how having my dogs has probably prevented a lot of things from happening to me. They aren't guard dogs by any means, people are just afraid of them.

So now that's out of the way...

All i was asking is: Do you notice that people are more hesitant to approach you when you are with your dogs (not even just huskies, but dogs in general)? Maybe it's just that we live in a very busy city rather than out in the country. I find myself always having to reassure people that they aren't mean and are in fact VERY friendly to people and animals. Although i am thankful that i'm not approached without hesitation when i'm walking them alone or when we're out and about around town. Things are very different here...

*sigh*

Here in South Florida you have to be on edge all the time. I didn't get my dogs to scare people away or to protect me or my house. And i don't go walking around spewing out racial slurs. What happened today got me thinking about how having my dogs has probably prevented a lot of things from happening to me. They aren't guard dogs by any means, people are just afraid of them.

So now that's out of the way...

All i was asking is: Do you notice that people are more hesitant to approach you when you are with your dogs (not even just huskies, but dogs in general)? Maybe it's just that we live in a very busy city rather than out in the country. I find myself always having to reassure people that they aren't mean and are in fact VERY friendly to people and animals. Although i am thankful that i'm not approached without hesitation when i'm walking them alone or when we're out and about around town. Things are very different here...

I get what your saying lol, I live in London and you have to be equally careful. When i see a young black boy in a hoody i immediately have thoughts running through my head and im half black!!! When i was 14 i had a black boy mug me for my phone,where i live they have mini gangs with the majority of black boys. Im not being racist, im being real, where i live a black boy in a hoody by himself in an alley is 110% up to NO good... end of!

Alaska is not that friendly with strangers, she will bark and growl if she feels im scared of anxious around certain dodgy men that try and chat me up when im obvi 18 and they are like 50:2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

When they see Alaska and balto its like a double tag team, its like parting the red sea lol >> everyone moves. When im with Alaska people look dubious but not as much as they do with Balto >> even though Balto will commit only 1 crime of death....licking you to death lol

Alaska has once slipped her harness when some dodgy looking boys were crowding her, she ran near the door of Tesco's (where i was) and she barked them down until i came running out and told them shes not too friendly.

People are always worried their big, scary wolves, but they are no guard dogs so i can never feel 100% safe, but i have my pepper spray and thick chain with me after 6pm:cool:

omg that must ov bin a shock 4 u! :eek: glad u didnt get hurt

i do feel safe when im walkin my dogs ppl see this big 'wolf' and a 'big' staffy (cuz as u all no bings looks VERY staffie just leggier) they tend 2 avoid me i like it like that if i think sum1 looks abit dodgy if ppl ask if they r bite i say not unless i tell them too its up2 them then if they wanna stroke um

Although stereotyping people is obviously unfair to those individuals who fit the stereotype physically but not in practice, the reality is that stereotypes reflect the statistical reality of the world around us.

I worked for 35+ years as a street youth worker in various parts of London (UK) so I am pretty lucky and from experience can recognise almost immediately which groups actually represent a threat and which do not (body language etc) - there is also an element of psychological projection involved. If you project confidence and a calm lack of fear, there is much less chance of you being attacked/hassled. In my years as a youth worker it was very apparent that some youth workers could function in the scariest areas with impunity - others were always being attacked, warned off or intimidated. In all the years I spent working with gang members, drug dealers, thieves, young sex workers etc etc, I never felt threatened or afraid of walking the streets late at night.

I used to take a dog with me sometimes when I was working on the street and they were always a great way of making contact with a group/gang. My best co-worker was my enormous Hungarian Kuvasz male, Otto - he opened doors that social workers, police and probation officers couldn't.

Mick

tbh it dont fase me walking around my area at night on my own and i live in a not so nice area, My other half will never go out at night to walk the dog as it is not a safe place and as we know our Grey is a big softy he does not make you feel safe, so i take him for his late night walk....

I have taken him out when i have been called out to an alarm at work, but that was mainly for his benefit as he would be usless as a guard dog.....

Hey ya,

I have lived in london all my life and have grown up to know and watch out for Gangs etc..... Not everyone is bad but sadly there is alot of crime where I live. I Kinda feel safe cause alot of people move out of my way when Im out walking Grey but I dont Walk Grey at night (Tony does) as there is alot of gangs around and it scares me to think that they might try to take the dog off me.

Its a known fact that the Breed dont make good gaurd Dogs but We have noticed Grey guards Reece( our2 year old son) with his life but wont do that with us. :D

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you got your bag back? The bloke must have some guts to do it right in front of you, I suppose at least you should be able to ID the bloke!!!!!!!!!!!

For me it can depend on the situation. If its some numpty owner with an aggressive off lead dog then Im not fussed if Im on my own or with my dogs as either way if the dog is aggressive it gets on my nerves!!!!!!!!!! More serious situtions then I would feel a little bit safer with my dogs than on my own but I wouldnt feel extremely safe! If I had Butch (My old Rottie), we was trained to police dog level and would restrain a human or attack if needed on my command and yes I felt much safer with Butch than I do with Gizmo, Marley and Bandit, mainly because butch was trained to protect whereas my 3 boys haven't had any training like this. However, I also believe that to a certain extent dogs will pick up on human emotions and if required act out on this so I do believe that my 3 would act out if I became very anxious or scared, etc which is probs why I feel a little safer with them than on my own.

So today at work i'm outside in our yard walking one of our separate dogs (dog daycare/kennel). Our facility is on a very busy metropolitan street and everyone is always rubbernecking to get a look at our dogs. So lately we've had quite a few cars getting busted into. I see a black man walking up from the alley, something told me he was up to something, but i was a little apprehensive about being "politically correct" and trying not to stereotype. Within seconds i hear the smash of a window and watch him take off with my bag. As i'm screaming obscenities at his retreating back pounding out 911 on my cell phone. I cannot believe this happened! RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE :mad:

Which brings me to...

Do you all feel safe when you have your dogs around? I know that i never think twice about walking them at night. People cross the street to avoid me and my beasts. I don't worry about it when i'm pumping gas and they're hanging out my car windows. Beggars on the medians totally avoid my car. Anyone else notice this when they're out with their dogs?

So sorry I forgot to say hope you are ok!! :60: Big Hugs to ya

Glad you guys understand what i was trying to say now ;)

No, i haven't gotten the bag back, and probably won't ever. It was just useless items, my actual purse was in the back seat on the floor (clever, right? haha) But i'm sure if i hadn't been there to scream he could have found it. The police don't really do much about it, even though i was able to give a good description. It happens so much down here they can't go after them all!

But it reminds me of a very strange situation when we first had gotten Mickey. He was young still but he's always been very intimidating looking (even though he's just a big whiny bear). We were walking one night, just Mickey and I, when i hear something. I wasn't sure what it was so i started to walk a little faster. All of a sudden Mickey stops and is staring the other direction. I'm trying to yank him to keep walking (now i'm super nervous) and he won't budge. Then he let's out a very strange bark (he's never barked prior to this, only aroos) it's deep and honestly very scary. He then moves towards me and starts to circle me barking and growling at whatever was in that direction. This went on for at least a few minutes. Then he snapped out of it and practically dragged me home. After that, our bond become amazing. He never leaves my side. And he's never acted like that ever again. He's very friendly with strangers who we encounter on the streets and at the dog park as well. Guess i'll never know what happened that night!

omg BIG hugs to you !!!

I'm not particularly scared when walking my boys on my own, morning or night, I have found when walking past a group of lads / hoodies, they all now talk to me and my dogs rather than hurling abuse at me. People look twice though i must admit and seem to weigh up if they're friendly or not and if they ask i say yeah they're normally ok.....never reveal the husky secret - they would rather lick you to death than bite you lol