Parvo

RoseWillow&Dexter

Where I live there is a massive Parvo outbreak at the moment. As a drive home my vet has a sign out the front saying how many deaths there have been it was at 35 last thursday its now 41.

My question is, my parents have a dog that hasn't been vaccinated since she was a pup, i am always having a go at them for not getting her vaccinated. She doesn't go anywhere but my dogs go to dog parks and visit her, is it possible that they could bring it to her?

I'm tempted to book her in and take her there myself!!!!!!!!

I would book her in and take her.

There was a bad outbreak here last year and over 50 dogs died, even mums with young pups had to be put to sleep :(

It said in the local paper, that even if your dog dont go outside, you can still bring it in the house, by stepping in dog poop and it beeing on your shoes (even if you cant see any) from a dog that has got the virus (not sure if that is true, but i wouldnt want to take that risk)

Good luck and hope your parents agree to let you get their dog protected :)

If your mum's dog was vaccinated after 14 weeks old, then she is probably okay. The Parvo vaccination should (according to the WSAVA - the World Small Animal Veterinary Association) provide "a lifetime of immunity". (pg 44 of the document linked below)

You may want to read this document: http://www.wsava.org/PDF/Misc/WSAVA_OwnerGuidelines_September2010.pdf

If your mum's dog was vaccinated after 14 weeks old, then she is probably okay. The Parvo vaccination should (according to the WSAVA - the World Small Animal Veterinary Association) provide "a lifetime of immunity". (pg 44 of the document linked below)

You may want to read this document: http://www.wsava.org/PDF/Misc/WSAVA_OwnerGuidelines_September2010.pdf

Good info, thanks :up:

Great info thanks, interesting reading.

It recommends getting vaccinated no more than once every three years yet we are told to vaccinate every year.

Great info thanks, interesting reading.

It recommends getting vaccinated no more than once every three years yet we are told to vaccinate every year.

I think they say "no more than every three years".

Please note that that refers to the core vaccinations. Leptospirosis, for example, does require annual vaccination as the vaccination actually lasts LESS than a year.

Like the others said, convince your parents to get her vaccinated...or atleast somehow bring her in yourself! Parvo is a horrible way to die; and they suffer for quite a while, as I understand.

The virus can and will stick to clothing, fur. I think it can survive for MONTHS without a host - hanging out anywhere. I believe they can also be airborne as well, so it would be impossible to shelter the dog from parvo.

Even so, I think the vaccination would take quite a while to take effect. It doesn't work right away.

I would book her in and take her.

It said in the local paper, that even if your dog dont go outside, you can still bring it in the house, by stepping in dog poop and it beeing on your shoes (even if you cant see any) from a dog that has got the virus (not sure if that is true, but i wouldnt want to take that risk)

My first husky and another house dog at the time both got Parvo in this manner.......ironically, the two outside dogs did not get it. Thankfully, my vet and I caught it quickly enough and both dogs survived after hospitalizations.

Most excellent article, mike_p - thank you!

While chances are that your parents' dog won't catch parvo, being an older dog, it still is possible, so a vaccination would probably be a pretty good idea...

RoseWillow&Dexter - one of the reasons vets do recommend vaccinating annually, is that the majority of pet owners are really NOT good at catching illness early - so many people are truly oblivious! If they have to bring their pet in annually for shots, it at least gives the vet a chance to look them over, hopefully catching problems before they can become severe...

defo be a good idea to get the vaccs, but even if your dog is vaccinated its a good rule of thumb to not rely on it and play it safe by keeping your dogs away from affected areas. Sometimes vaccinations are not a certainty of protection against the illness, sometimes they can still catch it but the symptoms are drastically lessened. Parvo can last extremely long times without a host and can be passed with frightening ease without dog to dog or dog to dog waste contact. A story a vet told myself before, a local breeder had a litter of pups come down with the parvo virus. There'd been no outbreak of Parvo in their area and the dogs hadn't been out, only in their garden. what had actually happened was that one person that had come to view the pups had unknowingly tracked the virus into the house on their clothing and passed it on to all the dogs.

I think i will be hounding her some more on the weekend... they are the head in the sand type, worried if they take her to the vet it will uncover a whole lot of expensive problems and if they can't see them they don't exist

ironically the last time i forced her to make the appointment, they couldnt go because the vet was filled with emergency parvo cases....

Ironically, one of the other problems is that the vet's premises will be a great place to catch and spread the parvo virus: people will bring their ill dogs to the vet, leaving traces of parvo in the car park and the waiting room. Hopefully they will fully scrub down the surgery itself, but how much can they do between appointments?

Ironically, one of the other problems is that the vet's premises will be a great place to catch and spread the parvo virus: people will bring their ill dogs to the vet, leaving traces of parvo in the car park and the waiting room. Hopefully they will fully scrub down the surgery itself, but how much can they do between appointments?

Yeah, that's very true. When Kremlin still had to get his shots, we always carried him in the vet's office until we could put him safely on the table (that at least was disinfected between visits, unlike the floors). They really don't have a lot of time to properly disinfect everything, especially the waiting room.

The risk is lower with an older dog, but I think vaccinating her is a good idea. You can pretty much pick up parvo from anywhere, so why risk it?

Then why am I paying the cost of the Parvo vaccine if it's useless??????????????

It's not useless: it's 99% effective if properly administered. Also some dogs are what they call "non-responders". i.e. however much they are vaccinated they don't develop a suitable immune response. About 1 in 1000 dogs. are non-responders.

It's not useless: it's 99% effective if properly administered. Also some dogs are what they call "non-responders". i.e. however much they are vaccinated they don't develop a suitable immune response. About 1 in 1000 dogs. are non-responders.

Thanks, did not know that...

You can carry parvo on your clothes etc. Parvo will last in the grass and on your clothes for months and months becasue heat and cold will not kill it. Bleach seems to be the only effective way. There was an article about it in the local paper because there was an outbreak in a city 2 hours away from me :/

For a well socialized dog, vaccines shouldn't be administered as often as people think. A dog who is vaccinated at 4months+ will generally be fine with no further vaccinations (or at least very limited) as long as they are around other dogs somewhat consistently. The vaccine basically "teaches" the body to identify the pathogen and it builds up white blood cells specialized to attacking that particular pathogen. That way when the dog comes across the "real" pathogen it's body is ready and able to respond quickly. A dog who is routinely socialized with other healthy dogs will have a stronger immune response as they are used to coming into contact with pathogens and sicknesses, the body is basically always getting a 'refresher.' A dog who is vaccinated once and then rarely comes across other dogs or isn't "re vaccinated" every few years or so... their immunity "drops" and the likelihood of the pathogen overtaking the readily made immune response- increases.

I'm very much paraphrasing but this is generally how it works.