Rehoming a 1 year old advice needed

donnaharmer

It all depends on how she reacts to being with you in a new home, when I got my last boy I had a really hard time with him because he had trust issues. I had no choice but to start from the begining with him, but luckily with the puppy I re homed he took to me straight away and I just continued from where the previous overs gave up. Just give her about a week or two before you start any proper training to see how she copes with you and her new home :)

Generally start at square one with things...then you can assess and go from there...if your rehome already knows something and is well trained in it and responsive...well then you'll move along quickly and it will save you from being frustrated by trying to figure out what he or she knows and what they don't

I am possibly going to be re homing a husky girl who is a year old, she sits and gives paw etc how should info about training her? Should I start from scratch with her? Any advice would be very welcome, she has been livin with cats and children which i also have,

Great your finding info out now. TBH the most important IMO is never leave her alone with your children and never ever leave alone with your cat. Altho shes been raised with a cat that doesnt mean to say all will be well with your cat and as she gets older her prey drive will kick in. Keep on lead at all times but get yourself a long lead and practice recall for emergency situations. Find out for yourself (Not from the current owners) whether there is any food aggression/pocessiveness and keep this in mind when your children have food. I would recommend she has her own bed where she can go for some quiet time etc

Just because she has been living with cats, do not assume that she will get on with yours.

Quite often a Husky will live with cats yet STILL attempt to chase "outside" cats.

Keep a close eye for the first few weeks.

I would assume that there has been none or little training and start from scratch.

Although her owner may have already trained her to do stuff, chances are you'll be using different commands for

what she has already learned so she won't understand what you want her to do.

I would start training from the moment you bring her home - although I would do it simply as way of starting as you intend to continue. Have a set of rules - what you find acceptable and what you don't - and go from there. If you want her to sit before you feed (helpful to make sure that a very food-orientated dog - and some of them are - doesn't knock it out of your hands!) her, ask her to sit, show her gently what you want, by pulling up on her collar and tucking her butt under her. Once she knows what it means, simply stand there waiting until she does it - ignoring her until you get the requested response is often the best way to get what you want from them...

What works best for a training treat is different from dog to dog. Some that are really food motivated will do backflips for kibble! Some other noms that are popular include bits of hotdog (microwave until chewy and dried, then blot to remove some of the grease), cooked chicken, beef or other meat, freeze dried liver (here in the US, Bil-Jak makes some that my guys love!) or salmon bits, string cheese - or other cheese - pretty much anything you can give really tiny pieces of. You don't want too large of pieces - make them work for the calories, and you can give them more pieces!

As Gigi said, start as you mean to go on. Enforce rules that you want the moment you pick her up. As others have said, be extra cautious with other furbabies any human babies lol. Also dont set them up for failure with things like chewing and leaving things around untill you can assess her. We just had another rehome, who is just under a year. From night one it was crate training, food training, walk training etc. They will soon learn whats expected from THEM not the other way round.

Since you are new to huskies, you have come to the right place to get help with getting off to a great start with your new girl. Things like high prey drive, unreliable recall, escapism, and destructiveness when under-exercised/under-stimulated are things to be aware of when taking on a husky. Knowing about these things in advance can help you prepare to prevent problems before they start. Good luck! :)

So how would u reccommend I keep

Her stimulated enough? She recalls with her current owner so I'm hoping she will soon pick that up with us, I am welcome to

Any training tips u guys might have for

Me I will keep u all updated as to when we pick

Her up and things

My personal opinion is - husky is a working dog and they love and have a need to work. they have such a desire to work. Mine are really chilled out but they are really well exercised and stimulated and have good opportunity to work. this gives them stimulation, otherways include general obediance, agility etc. HOWEVER please please beaware of the risks associated with off lead. Its a massive risk, and you are responsible and liable for her actions -if she causes a car accident, kills a sheep etc (farmer can and do shoot to kill).

Your garden needs to be secure, at least 6ft fencing and SECURE with nothing like a table by the boundary as a convenient step to jump up and out.

keep instructions clear and simple so the dog understands what is expected

I'll bet you can't wait to bring her home. And as the others have said...this is the place to be for husky advice.

One thing I would say....and it is a personal opinion...but as you have children I would be very wary of an extendable lead. The lead part that extends and retracts can cause a horrendous rope burn. Particularly if at high speed and catching the back of a child's leg. Loads on here have a 100ft line. Easy and cheap to buy on ebay and much lower risk than extendables.

Right I picked lunar up today she seems fine, well behaved and obedient, the only problem is she pulls VERY hard, she has a harness but almost pulled me over getting her out the car and walkin to the house, any ideas

replied in your other thread - deffo reccomend the walk your dog with love harness

Use a halti they look awful but they work . If your going to let her pull any vehicle scooter etc dont use the soft harness as they need to know they can pull on any harness buy using a halti £8 to £10 they will soon learn they catnt pull and your in control and you will be able to switch to the collar where they dont pull and a harness when they do.