wooly husky

naomiJayne

Probably a bit of a silly question but I LOVE wooly huskies they are all gorgeous, so..When your looking at a litter of puppies how do you tell if any are wooly? Will it just be the really fluffy puppies? or is it a 'special type' sorry for the silly question but I had never even heard of a wooly husky before this forum :):P

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure, but I saw one Husky pup that did not have any guard hairs, just the fluffy undercoat. Don't know if it turned out to be a wooly or not.

When they are puppies usually they will have tufts around thier ears and usually have frills around thier ruffs, feathery tails, wavy hair down thier backs and/or other things. The big thing to look for is the long hair behind and around the ears. Its seen as a fault in the breed because snow sticks to longer hair and stuff but they make purdy pets :D

When they are puppies usually they will have tufts around thier ears and usually have frills around thier ruffs, feathery tails, wavy hair down thier backs and/or other things. The big thing to look for is the long hair behind and around the ears. Its seen as a fault in the breed because snow sticks to longer hair and stuff but they make purdy pets :D

Ooh thank-you :D Not that I think I'll be convincing my OH to let me have another puppy anytime soon :P

Sorry if this is a slight diversion, but if Huskies are anything like Siamese cats, they'll develop a 'winter coat'. By this I mean: if a Siamese is an outdoor cat, it'll develop thicker and slightly longer fur in order to cope with the outdoors. An indoor cat won't do this so its fur remains short and close to the body. I've heard quite a few people say something about Molly being yet to 'get her winter coat' so I am presuming that these furries, like cats, adapt to their surroundings.

I've also heard that a long -haired Husky will have problems with harsh weather, owing to a lack of guard hairs not being present.

Hope this helps. (-:

I've just seen a lot around lately online and as I said hadn't heard of them untill a few weeks ago. The first one I knew of is a lady on facebook she has a wooly named gibson. So if a husky has long fur they don't have as many gaurd hairs?

Vlad is a wooly husky - GORGEOUS boy - maybe then can answer the guard hair question for u

There is a coat length thats inbetween the racing line short and the wooly too that alot of people think look wooly but technically its regular length.

"Although the Siberian Husky has a double coat (downy soft undercoat and longer guard hairs), the hair should not be excessively long as with the dogs pictured on this page. Long hair is not only a fault in a show dog Siberian, it can be dangerous in a working Siberian. The long hair collects snow, possibly causing irritation and injury. It is also a concern because it takes longer to dry, a dangerous fault in extremely cold weather.

"Wooly" Siberians may look interesting, but they should not be bred as they do not perpetuate the desired Siberian look. We invite you to look at the differences between an appropriate length of coat and the overly long wooly type."

from http://www.huskycolors.com/wooly.html

There is a coat length thats inbetween the racing line short and the wooly too that alot of people think look wooly but technically its regular length.

"Although the Siberian Husky has a double coat (downy soft undercoat and longer guard hairs), the hair should not be excessively long as with the dogs pictured on this page. Long hair is not only a fault in a show dog Siberian, it can be dangerous in a working Siberian. The long hair collects snow, possibly causing irritation and injury. It is also a concern because it takes longer to dry, a dangerous fault in extremely cold weather.

"Wooly" Siberians may look interesting, but they should not be bred as they do not perpetuate the desired Siberian look. We invite you to look at the differences between an appropriate length of coat and the overly long wooly type."

from http://www.huskycolors.com/wooly.html

It's good to see the pictures of a long coat and a short coat together. Thanks :)

It isn't just the length of the fur, it's the texture. Woolies have a very soft coat, and don't have the coarser guard coat that a Siberian should have, so it soaks up any moisture, and is more likely to mat than "regular" husky fur. I've had some dogs with some what longer coats - in some cases, much longer than most of the dogs I've seen in the UK by the pics on this forum - but the texture is normal. I've also had wooly puppies in two of my litters over the years, and they look extra soft and fuzzy - both as puppies (from about 4 weeks on) and as adults. Here's a picture of one of my wooly pups and then one with two of his normal littermates - he's the one laying down. Look at the difference in the fur, around the face, on the legs, and on the body - the puppies with the normal coats have much "cleaner" lines...

post-2387-0-13822700-1365631631_thumb.jp

post-2387-0-40927600-1365631647_thumb.jp

post-1869-13586000065486_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13586000066784_thumb.jpg

It isn't just the length of the fur, it's the texture. Woolies have a very soft coat, and don't have the coarser guard coat that a Siberian should have, so it soaks up any moisture, and is more likely to mat than "regular" husky fur. I've had some dogs with some what longer coats - in some cases, much longer than most of the dogs I've seen in the UK by the pics on this forum - but the texture is normal. I've also had wooly puppies in two of my litters over the years, and they look extra soft and fuzzy - both as puppies (from about 4 weeks on) and as adults. Here's a picture of one of my wooly pups and then one with two of his normal littermates - he's the one laying down. Look at the difference in the fur, around the face, on the legs, and on the body - the puppies with the normal coats have much "cleaner" lines...

[ATTACH=full]27773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]27776[/ATTACH]

Lol Gigi you posted at the same time as me...GET OUT OF MY HEAD :eek:

[ATTACH=full]27773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]27776[/ATTACH]

Gigi, Lumi came home today and she doesnt have any guard hair, its all like soft fluffy feathers, so will she be a wooly ?

Gigi, Lumi came home today and she doesnt have any guard hair, its all like soft fluffy feathers, so will she be a wooly ?

Puppies don't have guard coats in the same way that adults do. Pretty much all of their fur is soft and fuzzy... Looking at your pictures on FB, I'd guess that she'll probably have a normal coat, perhaps a little longer than average - but not be a wooly. Maybe similar to Nix's Skyla?

Puppies don't have guard coats in the same way that adults do. Pretty much all of their fur is soft and fuzzy... Looking at your pictures on FB, I'd guess that she'll probably have a normal coat, perhaps a little longer than average - but not be a wooly. Maybe similar to Nix's Skyla?

Ahhhh right cool, im not fussed either way but its nice to know, thanks xx

Check the undercoat hair itself. I wasn't aware that Sarah is a wooly when we got her, but each hair of her undercoat is kinky, like curly human hair. Her topcoat is straight. Also plumes on the hind legs and tails are indicators, I've heard.

skylas fur is like that - but shes not a wooly just longer coated

Check the undercoat hair itself. I wasn't aware that Sarah is a wooly when we got her, but each hair of her undercoat is kinky, like curly human hair. Her topcoat is straight. Also plumes on the hind legs and tails are indicators, I've heard.

I don't think Sarah is a wooly, Cheyenne has those kinky undercoat hairs and so does Odin. Usually woolies have more "hair-like" fur rather than a "coarse" top coat/guard hairs and an undercoat.