wooly husky

naomiJayne

It isn't just the length of the fur, it's the texture. Woolies have a very soft coat, and don't have the coarser guard coat that a Siberian should have, so it soaks up any moisture, and is more likely to mat than "regular" husky fur. I've had some dogs with some what longer coats - in some cases, much longer than most of the dogs I've seen in the UK by the pics on this forum - but the texture is normal. I've also had wooly puppies in two of my litters over the years, and they look extra soft and fuzzy - both as puppies (from about 4 weeks on) and as adults. Here's a picture of one of my wooly pups and then one with two of his normal littermates - he's the one laying down. Look at the difference in the fur, around the face, on the legs, and on the body - the puppies with the normal coats have much "cleaner" lines...

[ATTACH=full]27773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]27776[/ATTACH]

How often do woolies pop up from regualr coated parents? I never really thought of it, but I guess they came from somewhere!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure - it might be a simple recessive trait, but I haven't seen any studies that would give the incidence. If both parents carry the gene, it will show up from time to time. I had one litter where 2 out of 4 puppies were woolies, and then Rory's litter (Zeke & Ryn) had 1 out of 4. I'm sure that it's in some lines, more than others. I'm not sure, but I would guess that in my line, it came from a dog called Ch. Sunset Hill's Jo Jo Starbuck, but I can't swear to it...