Purina one is this a good brand?

Jethro's

Hi All, I am just curious if food that we've got for our puppy is Good one,Before we got him The breeder fed him all purpose dog food and he only fed him 1 cup once a day:duh: ,Now I feed him 1/2cup,3 times per day..I guess that's normal right?! Oh and I'm wondering why is he still has soft stool:dogwalk: I'm not sure if it's because of food or treat(Milk bone) that we give him.Sorry forgot to mention that Jethro my puppy he's about 12 weeks old.

Ps.I am Thai so my english is not so good :P

Not to worry, your English is fine! I'm not a real fan of Purina One - or any other Purina food. It has a lot of grains in it, which many Siberians don't do particularly well with. The breed originated in the Arctic, where meats and fish would have been the majority of their diet, with perhaps some berries and grasses here and there for some variety (as the dog chose to eat them, lol!). Here's a review of the food, so that you can see the specific objections to it. I would look for a food that is grain free, if possible - oats and rice are better grains, in general, than soy, corn, brewer's rice, and wheat.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-one-dog-food-dry/

If possible I would try and stay away from dog food you can buy at a grocery or department store I dont know what they have in Thailand but if there is a specialty dog store try to get something from there. I find puppys have softer stool naturally but if its the runs its usually cause for concern. It could also be becasue you switched his food if its softer then before you need to ease in your dog to new food by mixing it more of the old food then new food to start and then less and less. I'm not sure of the measurments off the top of my head but :P

My husband and I are new husky owners, and since our vet told us that they can have sensitive stomachs we did a lot of research about food! It was a little bit of a challenge to find a food that both of our dogs enjoyed and provided proper nutrition.

We looked up food reviews in addition to researching some brands.

Here are two sites that helped us get a better idea about what dog foods we should try for our puppies:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

http://www.petfoodratings.net/dogtable.html

As for the soft stool, there are many things that can cause it. If he has not had a recent check for parasites, that could also be a cause (they can pick it up even if they walk in another dog's poo and then lick their paw clean). Over-eating, change in diet, and food quality can cause soft stool, as others mentioned. If it doesn't improve with time, you may want to consider another food or checking for parasites.

Hope it helps and best of luck with your pup!

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about Purina One, but my original dogs were raised on Purina Pro Plan and is still used by some of the top kennels in this country, any of the 'super premium' range should be fine for sibes. Soft stools can also be caused by an excess of food based on the dogs activity level.

Generally I stay away from 'less-er quality' dry foods but Bonnie has really got my attention, You cannot buy it from food stores though you have to go to pet stores to get it. I think if the dog is getting all it needs (even if you have to add the supplements yourself) and the dog is healthy and has good stools then who cares!