Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Michelle Melsom

Dreadful biassed piece of mock journalism. Unfortunately Joe Public tended to swallow it whole and now believes that all pedigree dogs are "mutants."

It has set the cause of canine health back decades.

Mick

Statements of opinion and I have to admit that I'm not knowledgeable to comment intelligently, would you mind expanding on your comment, please and educate my ignorance.

From discussion I see here there are problems with the breed - eyes, legs, etc. While the documentary may have been unprofessional and "over the top" how misguided are they, in your opinion??

Certainly pure-bred dogs suffer genetic diseases due to inbreeding...but wouldn't most reputable breeders try to breed dogs with the least amount of relation while still getting the wanted results?

Like...instead of breeding father and daughter...would most breeders choose to breed daughter and uncle/grandfather?

"Other problems occur because of exaggerations bred into dogs by breeders trying to win rosettes, it adds. The programme shows a prize-winning cavalier King Charles spaniel suffering from syringomyelia, a condition which occurs when a dog’s skull is too small for its brain. It also features boxers suffering from epilepsy, pugs with breathing problems and bulldogs who are unable to mate or give birth unassisted"

I'm no expert but syringomyelia happens anyway just because this one dog has it and has been bred wrong doesnt mean thats the only reason it happens, and dogs can suffer from epilepsy just like people with no real cause just if it has been triggered just like cancer Darrells dog Odie had epilepsy and then cancer later in life, he was a staffy whippet cross. pugs are quite likely to have breathing problems just like all Brachycephalic dogs, you always get told that from breeders of them and bulldogs that cant mate or give birth unassisted, dogs can again like humans be infertile and its not that uncommon that dogs need assistance in birth.

I dont understand :S these are all problems that dogs can have anyway but some how because these few dogs they have found have these problems and just so happen to be bred to closely, seems to mean thats the only time this can happen

I DONT THINK SO

Some people just like to stick their noses in other peoples lives, all breeders are going to be tarred with the same brush I dont agree with close breeding but it shouldnt have been exposed quite like this.

The main problem with the programme was that it picked on one or two breeds with real problems and used that to implicate all pedigree dogs (especially those who are shown) as a "parade of mutants." The fact that there are over 200 recognised pure breeds recognised by the Kennel Club and the vast majority have very few health issues was totally ignored. The fact that the Kennel Club has poured thousands and thousands of pounds into canine health research, and has sponsored health testing in the majority of breeds was also ignored.

It also totally misrepresented the difference between "line breeding" and "inbreeding."

The programme was also caught out in several downright lies. One of the very sick dogs presented in the programme as a top show dog, was later identified as a puppy farm bred dog which had never seen a show ring in its life.

No-one is denying that there are some breeds with serious health issues, but they are few and far between, and instead of castigating "show" breeders who in general are more concerned about their dogs' health than anyone (very few, if any breeders who don't show bother to carry out the recommended health tests on their dogs before breeding), it should have concentrated on the real villains of the piece - the puppy farmers, backyard breeders and naive/stupid/greedy "pet" breeders who churn out poor quality non-health-tested litters by the thousand.

Mick

I don't think it really applies as much with siberians because they are duel purpose bred for the most part. The majority of show kennels will at least work their dogs too so they are bred for both work and show. KCC have got health issues and with out the dedicated breeding plans to try and stomp out the health issues in the breed then that breed would be doomed. What they really want to be concentrating their efforts on is making sure that breeders are sending their pups out on contracts and making the breeders take their dogs back if they can't be kept. They also need to be closing down irresponsible puppy farms (there are even some within the siberian husky and malamute world).

However there is a big diffirence between a back yard breeder/puppy mill and a reputible breeder. A reputible breeder isn't off spending their money on nice holidays, they put it (if they have any left after doing it right) back into the dogs, health testing the next generation, food for the dogs, health care for the dogs etc. These puppy farms make so much money, they could have those poor dogs health tested and retire the dogs they arn't using to loving pet homes instead of overbeeding them, but they wouldn't make much money like that now... would they?