Should Alaska be Spayed?

Ice and Cripton

Well i always thought 'fixing' a dog female/male at 6 weeks is just absurd or before a season for females. I have been advised by some Husky breeders to wait until the bitch is 2 years, some dont spay at all even if they dont breed from her, they spay at middle age when the risks get high. I have heard a few horror stories but thats not my only worry. My main concerns:

- Its natural for them to be intact, humans dont - my worry is this is a reaction to shelters having to put down un-wanted dogs not so much the health aspects

- It's an invasive op, things could go wrong

- She had normal heat cycles so far with no problems and she is now 3 years old

I have no intention of breeding her and have taken good care of her when she is in heat to make sure she doesn't get pregant.....

Like I said Alaska is 3 years now and seems to have 1 heat cycle a year (maybe 1 year she has had 2) What is your take on this? Is your bitch spayed? And if so were there any problems?

Thanks guys! :)

OH - Wanted to add getting Balto fixed was fine, although it is an easy op to do, the only bad thing to come of that is he sheds all year round and his coat wasn't as thick as it used to be. Alaska has some dog agression issues and is a very domminant dog .. maybe spaying would help?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 3 males so haven't got that problem hun - i think you have to weigh up the pro's and cons as with everything but it cuts out the risk of cancer / pyometris (sp) which is a good plus. Vets do these every day so the risk is very low x

I've got 3 males so haven't got that problem hun - i think you have to weigh up the pro's and cons as with everything but it cuts out the risk of cancer / pyometris (sp) which is a good plus. Vets do these every day so the risk is very low x

Thanks Sarah, tis true vets do them everyday plus we have a really good vet whom we trust ... i just dont want to be one of those rare cases . Your right i deff need to way up the pros and cons ....

Thanks Sarah, tis true vets do them everyday plus we have a really good vet whom we trust ... i just dont want to be one of those rare cases . Your right i deff need to way up the pros and cons ....

forgot to add hellooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!1 not seen you for ages xxx hope you're well xxx

skyla hasnt been spayed but ive been having similar doubts - n also wonder if it would help calm skyla down as she is dominant too

Its a tough right! lol Alaska always fancied herself but i saw a change after her 1st heat cycle - thought she was the don ;) Then after getting attacked a few times she was scared, but a damminant scared dog and resulted in some dog agression issues. Also all the dogs that have to be sheltered or put down, is this just a knee jerk reaction to help the problem? If shelters were not full would this still be a normal thing to do for your pet ... what are the main reasons to spay ... for health or help fix the over-crowded shelters ... :S mind boggling lol I know they can get cancer of the whom but so can women ... and if we removed our whombs there would be no risk of whomb cancer ... but i dont see us removing our whombs or men removing their bits and bobs to not get cancer.....

Its a tough right! lol Alaska always fancied herself but i saw a change after her 1st heat cycle - thought she was the don ;) Then after getting attacked a few times she was scared, but a damminant scared dog and resulted in some dog agression issues. Also all the dogs that have to be sheltered or put down, is this just a knee jerk reaction to help the problem? If shelters were not full would this still be a normal thing to do for your pet ... what are the main reasons to spay ... for health or help fix the over-crowded shelters ... :S mind boggling lol I know they can get cancer of the whom but so can women ... and if we removed our whombs there would be no risk of whomb cancer ... but i dont see us removing our whombs or men removing their bits and bobs to not get cancer.....

thats pretty much how i feel - skyla got attacked too n whislt shes not tooo bad she has her moments

i also need to get my head round the whole well we dont rip our wombs out so why should we do it to our girls thing too

thats pretty much how i feel - skyla got attacked too n whislt shes not tooo bad she has her moments

i also need to get my head round the whole well we dont rip our wombs out so why should we do it to our girls thing too

poor Skyla, im not a fan of people who ruin other peoples dogs :S Hopefully Skyla can have enough positive expereinces to out-do the bad ones, sounds like she's not completely gone! lol i know, just how i feel, with Balto it was a tad more easy and not people im a girl and didn't feel sorry for him ... simply becaus the risks are lower and they said it is cruel to basically have a male intact who is never going to have sex! Also having his sister in the house when she was on heat - we were told he would find a way crate or no crate to get to her! Well let me know what you decide ... I think i will still wait until i gather enough info ;)

poor Skyla, im not a fan of people who ruin other peoples dogs :S Hopefully Skyla can have enough positive expereinces to out-do the bad ones, sounds like she's not completely gone! lol i know, just how i feel, with Balto it was a tad more easy and not people im a girl and didn't feel sorry for him ... simply becaus the risks are lower and they said it is cruel to basically have a male intact who is never going to have sex! Also having his sister in the house when she was on heat - we were told he would find a way crate or no crate to get to her! Well let me know what you decide ... I think i will still wait until i gather enough info ;)

yup i had no problem getting blaze done either lol

am tempted to get her done (shes in season atm so cnt get her done now till march if i do) if i get it done ill let u know how it goes

i have a few months to get some more research done too lol

its each to their own with this one

the health issues (that might have happened) swayed it for me

all mine are done,had no problems and they were all back to their usual self with-in couple of days:)

Tia was a slight concern but only because the vets thought her inner stitches had given way,but all's good they hadn't

I think its your own choice but spaying at 3 years doesnt have a huge chance of complications as shes still young and healthy. A hugh pro is that it cuts down on alot of different cancers that she could get. I think its a good idea if your not breeding to get em fixed :P Usually you will see less aggression too and a calmer dog in general

The biggest risk (after pregnancy) in an unspayed bitch is pyometra (http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/PyometrainDogsCats/), a very serious uterine infection that can be fatal. It sometimes isn't obvious until the dog is quite ill, and while it can sometimes be treated with antibiotics, the most sure cure is an emergency spay - which is much more risky than a "normal" spay.

One difference between spaying/castrating pets as opposed to humans is that we humans generally have sex lives, where unless a dog or a cat is being used for breeding, we generally deny them the opportunity. I would think that the lack of sex organs would make that part of life a bit less frustrating for them, if they aren't being used...

I got Siku spayed at about 1yr 7months. I haven't noticed any problems. Also she was and still is somewhat dominant. She can be a butt head at the dog park to submissive dogs and that did not change after her spay. I noticed a lot of discharge one day at the end of her heat and freaked out thinking it was pyometra. One vet thought it was the begining stages and another vet didn't think it was anything. I got ehr spayed anyway, cause I was too afraid to decide who was right and I wasn't going to breed her anyway. I would say getting her spayed now would be a good thing. Pyometra is freaking scary! And the chances get greater as the female gets older and has more heats. I guess the lining changes and gets thicker each time making infection more likely.

On the health side of the issue, I think there are very good reasons for having non-breeding bitches spayed (as Gigi mentioned above). The actual risks of spaying are minimal - over the last five years, SHWA has probably had well over two hundred bitches spayed before rehoming with not one medical problem relating to the operation.

On the behavioral side, in my experience spaying and neutering has very little affect on the dog's temperament or behaviour. Our Anya still rules the roost despite having been spayed for two years. Her only challenger for the role is Mia, who has been spayed for 12 months. Our unspayed bitches are more laid back - but that is their personality anyway, nothing to do with being spayed or not.

Mick

The biggest risk (after pregnancy) in an unspayed bitch is pyometra (http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/PyometrainDogsCats/), a very serious uterine infection that can be fatal. It sometimes isn't obvious until the dog is quite ill, and while it can sometimes be treated with antibiotics, the most sure cure is an emergency spay - which is much more risky than a "normal" spay.

One difference between spaying/castrating pets as opposed to humans is that we humans generally have sex lives, where unless a dog or a cat is being used for breeding, we generally deny them the opportunity. I would think that the lack of sex organs would make that part of life a bit less frustrating for them, if they aren't being used...

Thanks a lot for the link, and you made some really valid points -i am denying her to have puppies and i suppsoe an un-spayed bitch will one day feel the urge to nurse puppies .... so if i spay her will these urges reduce or go away completely?

On the health side of the issue, I think there are very good reasons for having non-breeding bitches spayed (as Gigi mentioned above). The actual risks of spaying are minimal - over the last five years, SHWA has probably had well over two hundred bitches spayed before rehoming with not one medical problem relating to the operation.

On the behavioral side, in my experience spaying and neutering has very little affect on the dog's temperament or behaviour. Our Anya still rules the roost despite having been spayed for two years. Her only challenger for the role is Mia, who has been spayed for 12 months. Our unspayed bitches are more laid back - but that is their personality anyway, nothing to do with being spayed or not.

Mick

Thanks Mick ... thats good to hear the SHWA had no problems, gives me faith!! What age do you spay your non breeding bitches? And just out of curisosity what age do you spay your breeding bitches? Thanks again!

Thanks Mick ... thats good to hear the SHWA had no problems, gives me faith!! What age do you spay your non breeding bitches? And just out of curisosity what age do you spay your breeding bitches? Thanks again!

With SHWA dogs, it all depends what age they are when they come in. We rarely spay a bitch or neuter a dog before the age of 12 months because we feel it is better for them to be fully developed physically before spaying. When younger dogs/bitches are rehomed they are sent out on a contract which obliges the owner to spay/neuter as soon as the dog/bitch is old enough.

Same with our own dogs. If we decide that we are not going to breed from a bitch/dog (or show him/her), they will be spayed as soon as they are fully grown. Bitches that we have bred from are usually spayed at 4 or 5 years of age. Currently 3 of our girls are spayed and 3 still entire.

Mick

I would spay her. If you're not planning on breeding I just don't see the reasoning of keeping them entire risking health concerns as well as attracting intact males. It does tend to curb some behavioral problems but it takes a few months for the hormones to work themselves out of her system. It's not a quick fix nor a cure, but it most certainly does help.

All of my dogs are done and they don't act any differently at all. They are still just as lively and boisterous with each other as they always were.

Thanks a lot for the link, and you made some really valid points -i am denying her to have puppies and i suppsoe an un-spayed bitch will one day feel the urge to nurse puppies .... so if i spay her will these urges reduce or go away completely?

You're welcome! Yes, the hormones make them want what they can't have - both "cause" and "consequence", lol! Sometimes they will go through a false pregnancy starting about the time they would have given birth, which usually lessens over the course of a couple of weeks. As long as you wait about 3 months after they've last been in season, and after they're past this behavior (if they're showing it), it will reduce the compulsion to have puppies. Some may still carry around toys and act as though they are puppies, but then I've had males do that...

You're welcome! Yes, the hormones make them want what they can't have - both "cause" and "consequence", lol! Sometimes they will go through a false pregnancy starting about the time they would have given birth, which usually lessens over the course of a couple of weeks. As long as you wait about 3 months after they've last been in season, and after they're past this behavior (if they're showing it), it will reduce the compulsion to have puppies. Some may still carry around toys and act as though they are puppies, but then I've had males do that...

Lol yep ive had that one, she has this green rubber ball that squeeks, when she has it it, she whines everytime it squeeks and holds it sooo gently - never chews it and puts it in her bed next to her tummy - she was 5 months!! But we hide this toy in a box somewhere not nice for her to think this is a dying puppy!!! Thanks again, golden advice!

With SHWA dogs, it all depends what age they are when they come in. We rarely spay a bitch or neuter a dog before the age of 12 months because we feel it is better for them to be fully developed physically before spaying. When younger dogs/bitches are rehomed they are sent out on a contract which obliges the owner to spay/neuter as soon as the dog/bitch is old enough.

Same with our own dogs. If we decide that we are not going to breed from a bitch/dog (or show him/her), they will be spayed as soon as they are fully grown. Bitches that we have bred from are usually spayed at 4 or 5 years of age. Currently 3 of our girls are spayed and 3 still entire.

Mick

Thanks a lot Mick! I was going to spay Alaska bang on 2 years old but now she is 3 years if she's not having a litter i should hurry it up! I hope her body is craving to have a litter, i feel as though i should have dont it when she was 2 years ..... also she is ue to come on dec/jan time, should i wait until after this season or get in there? Thanks :)