Kira's first season

naomiJayne

Right Kira is 6months and 1week old tomorrow and hasn't had her first season yet, I want to be prepared when she does. I've tried having a look online but I'm not coming up with anything great and figured it would be better to ask those who have already gone through it. Kira is my first bitch who has not been fixed so basically I want to know what to expect and if there is anything special I need todo or to buy to make her happy/comfortable. sorry for what is probably an obvious question with probably obvious anwswers but I'd rather know as much as I need to before it happens.

thank-you to anyone who answers :):heartbeat:

ok - increased peeing , swelling of the vulva and change in mood/temperment and possibly lack of hunger aswell or even increased hunger

obviously then blood spotting aswell

if u wanna still walk her but are worried about males go and buy the bitch spray and tabs from pets at home - u need both - these will help mask the smell

usually around 10 - 14 days in she will stop bleeding her season has NOT finished - shes in her receptive stage - ready for a mate - she might not stop bleeding best way to test her is to run ur finger down her back if she lifts her tail n holds it to the side shes ready for a male n this is when u REALLY need to be careful if u take her out - dont go anywhere u usually/might encounter offlead dogs

give her a full month for her season to end to be on the safe side - skyla came in season on the 7th nov so i wont let my guard down till the 8th dec

when shes finished - give her a bath - try n get the smell off her as it will linger n even tho she will have finished her season she might still get hassled by males

erm thats all i can think of atm lol

to add to Nixs post, she should clean herself BUT as its her first one she may not know what to do. You can help guide her with a unscented wipe or wet tissue. You can get hygiene pants which I did but my girl didnt like them and its a nightmare taking them off for them to pee or poo. She pooped once with them on!!! not nice

ok - increased peeing , swelling of the vulva and change in mood/temperment and possibly lack of hunger aswell or even increased hunger

obviously then blood spotting aswell

if u wanna still walk her but are worried about males go and buy the bitch spray and tabs from pets at home - u need both - these will help mask the smell

usually around 10 - 14 days in she will stop bleeding her season has NOT finished - shes in her receptive stage - ready for a mate - she might not stop bleeding best way to test her is to run ur finger down her back if she lifts her tail n holds it to the side shes ready for a male n this is when u REALLY need to be careful if u take her out - dont go anywhere u usually/might encounter offlead dogs

give her a full month for her season to end to be on the safe side - skyla came in season on the 7th nov so i wont let my guard down till the 8th dec

when shes finished - give her a bath - try n get the smell off her as it will linger n even tho she will have finished her season she might still get hassled by males

erm thats all i can think of atm lol

so the bitch spray and tabs helps with the smell? Does she physically smell or is it just to males? (if you know what I mean)

so it's like two weeks to start with, then two weeks in a receptive stage, then it should be finished? roughly.

to add to Nixs post, she should clean herself BUT as its her first one she may not know what to do. You can help guide her with a unscented wipe or wet tissue. You can get hygiene pants which I did but my girl didnt like them and its a nightmare taking them off for them to pee or poo. She pooped once with them on!!! not nice

She's really bad at cleaning herself now, She has the occasional lick down below but not much. What do I do if she doesn't clean herself just use the unscented wipes?

so the bitch spray and tabs helps with the smell? Does she physically smell or is it just to males? (if you know what I mean)

so it's like two weeks to start with, then two weeks in a receptive stage, then it should be finished? roughly.

She's really bad at cleaning herself now, She has the occasional lick down below but not much. What do I do if she doesn't clean herself just use the unscented wipes?

just to males

2 weeks in - week receptive - week out

she might clean herself when she starts bleeding - but if not just some tissue will do n just give her a wipe

ETA: the bitch spray and tabs mask the smell from males

it will smell a bit like a woman on a period if you get close

she should get the hint but if not then i guess yeah. my angel had had several so she knew what to do I only wiped when she was dripping on the carpet!!

also get some blankets for the settees, and dont let her lick your face!

Storm & Angels Mum ---> it will smell a bit like a woman on a period if you get close <--- im worried now

what????? OMG nooooooooooooooooooooo you took that the wrong way but there is defo an odour when angel is in season

• 7 months later...

Hey guys resurrecting this thread as Kuna has started spotting blood today!! She's so grown up!!:rolleyes: She's 8 months and so far her brother (who is the same age obv) is showing no interest whatsoever (Thank God!!). I cannot get her to a separate enclosure until tomorrow. Am I okay to leave them together til then? Or is she susceptible to pregnancy straight away? I understand that it is next week where I would have to be really careful with walks etc. but was wondering what to do immediately. Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot!!

No Sarah they don't. They sleep outside. Kaspar has absolutely no interest in her so far. I have bought a crate and I am in the process of crate training her which is going well. I have arranged for her to stay at my parents for a week starting next Sunday when she will probably be receptive (I am going on holidays!! Great timing). The biggest thing at the minute is trying to seperate them. They want to be both inside or both outside at the same time. She goes insane when she is on her own inside!! Hopefully she will get used to it quickly!