Reporting Dangerous Dog ?

Scott Wilson

This is the Third time my husky has been attacked by the same dog a grey hound. The first two times my husky was only little puppy, And i warned the owner "off leash out of control full stop i could report you control your dog" ! Third time we meet again , its off leash in a public street, this time little szarik is not so little anymore 7 months almost. The grey hound came flying across the street lucky no cars, Attacked my dog , this time my dog defended itself and fought back , I also kicked the hound straight in the jaw, i love dogs but my dog comes first sorry. She waltzed over again without giving a toss, how do i report this negligence she clearly does not care for other people or their dogs, i followed her home to find her address. Now i just need to know is this a Police matter ? or RSPCA? Im sick of it if i get this so frequently after i warned her twice.

This is the Third time my husky has been attacked by the same dog a grey hound. The first two times my husky was only little puppy, And i warned the owner "off leash out of control full stop i could report you control your dog" ! Third time we meet again , its off leash in a public street, this time little szarik is not so little anymore 7 months almost. The grey hound came flying across the street lucky no cars, Attacked my dog , this time my dog defended itself and fought back , I also kicked the hound straight in the jaw, i love dogs but my dog comes first sorry. She waltzed over again without giving a toss, how do i report this negligence she clearly does not care for other people or their dogs, i followed her home to find her address. Now i just need to know is this a Police matter ? or RSPCA? Im sick of it if i get this so frequently after i warned her twice.

when my pup was attacked i contacted the police and dog warden and they were really helpful

Next time, bring along a video camera so you can record what the owner's reaction is. This way, you have proof the owner didn't try to do anything...otherwise it would just be your word against her's.

And try to be inconspicuous about the filming...

I dont see any contact details about dogs on council or dog wardens .. online or phone books, guess ill speak to my community officer im friendly with her anyway and ask her for advice, Thanks for replies ! And my dog is fine he was very scared and shaken the first time as he was a tiny pup at the time. Now he stood his ground and even jumped in front of me and the attacking dog... i know i shouldnt be praising him lol as its not good his only social interactions with dogs have been aggressive ones the only nice dog in my whole street is a St Bernard puppy of the same age as My husky he always wants to play at the sight of him haha

Where I live you have to call the dog warden who will visit the dog and if they have any issues they will pit the owner in touch with relevant people who they have to work with and if people are still complaining the police get involved x

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.149570,-0.408504

Dangerous dog - call police. Don't dick around with trying to find out who the right person is to talk to. They'll refer the to Animal Control/dog warden or whatever is in your area if that's what they do, but report it with the police. An actively aggressive dog like that is tantamount to a weapon and it's only a matter of time until someone or their dog get severely hurt. Report it and if you can recall the dates of the previous attacks put those on record too.

Dangerous dog - call police. Don't dick around with trying to find out who the right person is to talk to. They'll refer the to Animal Control/dog warden or whatever is in your area if that's what they do, but report it with the police. An actively aggressive dog like that is tantamount to a weapon and it's only a matter of time until someone or their dog get severely hurt. Report it and if you can recall the dates of the previous attacks put those on record too.

Totally agree. If any dog runs at you or your own dog & you are in fear of it biting or it is jumping at you/your dog, it is classed as a Dangerously out of control dog. The police should deal with that!

I've posted this before.....

"Section 3(1) Dangerous Dogs Act 1991

This part of the Dangerous Dogs Act applies to every single dog in England & Wales, no matter whether it is a pure bred dog, cross or a mongrel and regardless of its size.

This is a criminal offence which can be brought against the owner of a dog (and if different the person in charge of a dog) if a dog is:

1. dangerously out of control

2. in a public place

'Dangerously out of control' is defined as being 'on any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person'. Generally, if a dog bites someone then it will be presumed to have been dangerously out of control.

'Public place' is defined as including any place 'to which the public have or are permitted to have access'.

The Police have the discretionary power to seize a dog (although they may need a warrant) but there is no provision for 'bail' for the dog pending a conclusion at Court.

If injury is caused to a person, then there is a presumption in favour of destruction of the dog unless the owner can prove that the dog would not constitute a danger to public safety. If the Court can be persuaded not to impose destruction, then the alternative is a Contingent Destruction Order ie. a requirement that unless the dog is kept under proper control then it shall be destroyed. The Court has the power to impose conditions to such an order.

For the owner and/or person in charge of the dog at the time of the incident the Court has the power to impose a prison sentence as well as a ban on keeping dogs. However, this is very rare and the more likely outcome is financial ie. a fine, compensation and costs.

There is a separate charge (in Section 3(3)) which can be brought against an owner (or person in charge) if the incident occurs in a non-public place, where the dog is not permitted to be."

Ive read the dangerous dogs act regarding it, police it is, How do i proove this though ? Its happened three times around my street , there was a seperate occasion when she walked past my house with it off lead and it nearly ran up my drive into my garden to attack my dog which was minding its own in his own garden. That time she stopped it in time. How do i prove these incidents occurred to the police i have no Video and there is no CCTV as far as im aware where i live.

just walk into cop shop and tell them you want to make a report. Write down dates and times it's happened. There's no law saying you can't video anything, only stopping you sharing it with 3rd party (not inc police).

I was attacked by a dog while delivering parcels few years ago, replrted it to police (it hadn't bitten me), the police gave him a warning and dog was chained up afterwards

when skye was a pup she was attacked by a status dog lucky i managed to get it off her had a few words with the owner, then rang the rspca explained wat had happened lucky i new were the lad lived and they went round and removed the dog.

Ive read the dangerous dogs act regarding it, police it is, How do i proove this though ? Its happened three times around my street , there was a seperate occasion when she walked past my house with it off lead and it nearly ran up my drive into my garden to attack my dog which was minding its own in his own garden. That time she stopped it in time. How do i prove these incidents occurred to the police i have no Video and there is no CCTV as far as im aware where i live.

Witnesses are a big help, but you don't need to prove it to file a complaint/charges. Video is not necessary either - who has the presence of mind to a) carry a video camera everywhere and B) stop and video when their dog is attacked? Your statement is enough. And proving it is only an issue if the person denies to the police that the incidents even occurred and/or you are suing for damages (if your dog required a vet). If it gets to that point, canvas your neighbours, especially the ones with dogs - surely someone else has experienced an issue with this dog also!

also - if ur dog has any wounds - no matter how small - take pictures!