Juno just ate a whole block of chocolate - what to do?

soundeffects

So as the title says, my 11 month old girl Juno managed to sneak herself a whole block of milk chocolate. It happened about an hour ago. Is it terribly serious, is there anything I can do at home to lessen the effects? She hasn't had dinner yet, is there something I can feed her to help absorb it? I'm kind of freaking out here.

She also ate most of the foil around it too.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would call a vet asap my guys ate it but were fine the vets told us to keep a eye on them and bring them in if any signs showed up. Well they were fine I gave them water with a little bit of salt to make them sick and that worked a treat as it came straight up. While ur waiting to speak to the vet burnt toast will help

So as the title says, my 11 month old girl Juno managed to sneak herself a whole block of milk chocolate. It happened about an hour ago. Is it terribly serious, is there anything I can do at home to lessen the effects? She hasn't had dinner yet, is there something I can feed her to help absorb it? I'm kind of freaking out here.

She also ate most of the foil around it too.

i agree..choc is poison 2 dogs ..best take her the vet

Thanks for all the replies every. I just got back from the vet - they gave her some washing crystals to make her throw up. They told me she wasn't anywhere near the dangerous levels of ingestion but to just keep an eye on her and then sent us on our way.

o thats good news

Oh my Goodness!!

Sooo glad to hear it worked out OK! Some info I've gotten both on the web and from the vet:

1. yes! Chocolate is a serious matter for dogs.

2. the problem centers around the concentration of pure cocoa in the mix. Often Milk chocolate is mix of cocoa butter, milk or cream and cocoa powder with vanillin for flavoring. Often there is more cocoa butter and flavoring than actual cocoa or "chocolate". This is NOT to say that it's OK to feed them milk chocolate, IT'S NOT OK!! but the symptoms will be lessened by the lower concentration of pure cocoa in the mix. The dark chocolates and semi-sweet chocolates, Baker's Chocolates are all extremely dangerous to dogs as the concentration of the cocoa is relatively high compared to the "milk chocolate" of the candy world.

3. The hydrogen peroxide trick as an emetic is always good to use in cases like this ASAP post ingestion!

The sooner out the less the possibility of serious or fatal reactions. Three tablespoons of H2O2 in a syringe squirted into the back of the mouth and swallowed within a few minutes should produce results. It can be repeated if the first dose does not work.

4. Please, Please, PLEASE!! call a Vet IMMEDIATELY if not sooner and get instructions as to what to do first. The vet will give you instructions as to stabilizing your pet prior to bring them into the office. The earlier the treatment is begun the better the chances of full recovery and minimal to no damage taking place.

5. After the dog is stabilized and on the mend, go home, take a deep breath and eat the remaining chocolates yourself so fido doesn't get in them again (by that time you'll need them for "comfort food")

6. Number 5 was a joke and not to be taken seriously . . . :lolman:

All the best and Thank God the little girl's in the pink!!

Carmen OFM

Glad to hear she's okay! *whew!*

My mother always kept hydrogen peroxide handy, and if the dogs ate something they shouldn't she would make them swallow 2 tablespoons of it. Within about 5 minutes they will yarf up the entire contents of their stomach (never induce vomiting if you suspect they've ingested some kind of chemical or caustic substance). She had a poodle that was forever going after chocolate, and with us small kids in the house he successfully devoured many a chocolate rabbit or santa over the years. Hydrogen peroxide probably saved his life on numerous occasions!