I have come to a conclusion

Storm Angel n Auroras Mum

Before I explain I know there are going to be people who criticise me on my decisions, and disagree with me etc etc. But know that I made this decision based on what was best for everyone involved.

Mishka is going to a new foster home on Saturday.

I know, I know. But let me explain.

I have learnt a few things about Angel this past few weeks.

She is such an alpha female she will not accept anyone else into the pack. It doesnt matter how long I give it she will not accept Mishka.

The situation at home is stressing out all of us including the dogs. And my dogs are being affected by it hugely.

Angel tried to attack Mishka while she was in her crate yesterday, I tried to remove Angel and she snapped at me, then she snapped at Storm and she has NEVER done this.

Storm last night growled at my son and again something he has NEVER done.

Now it is affecting my dogs personalities I really have to take the responsible route and thats what I have done.

Mishka is also changing, she is having to defend herself against Angel and being such a sweet girl I dont want her to become a dog who hates all other dogs because of it.

No we will not be fostering again, and I severely doubt we will ever have a pack of 3. :(

Please dont judge me for this decision, I have to put my family and whats best for Mishka first.

:cookies:cookies for whoever got to the end.xx

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably the only decision you can make.

Well done for offering to foster, you've now found out that one of your pack won't tolerate another

fully grown dog into the mix.

It's a shame you've had to go through all this heartache and stress to come to this realisation.

Hugs

This is probably the only decision you can make.

Well done for offering to foster, you've now found out that one of your pack won't tolerate another

fully grown dog into the mix.

It's a shame you've had to go through all this heartache and stress to come to this realisation.

Hugs

thankyou Andy, I really dont think any amount of time would change the situation we have here.

thanks for the hugs, really needed atm.x

I don't think you have done a bad thing, I think that you have tried to help out the 'husky community' by fostering which is a good thing. Just because it didn't work out how you had planned it doesn't make it a bad thing that you tried.

I'm sure that many people have wanted to help by fostering, to find that for one reason or another it doesn't work for them, their family or their pups. It depends on your situation and sometimes you can only find out by trying and you have done a good thing by doing that.

no worries big hugs :grouphug:. must have been a hard decision to make, I'm not in the position to be able to foster a dog, but I know if i had the chance I would snatch that opportunity in a heart beat, after all you never know if you don't try! and after reading about people experiences on here of fostering I've learned it's often not an easy path to take!

I have discovered (quite refreshingly) that people on this forum speak from the heart and and no matter what differing opinions we all have as to how to look after these beautiful, 'handfuls' we all want the best for our fur and human families. You have courage for trying and again for your making ultimate decision :( - this is what is right for you and your family at this moment in time.

It would have been more harmful if you'd pushed on because of what other people may think rather than what is best. Chin up sweet this would not have been an easy decision and from what I've seen people will have their views but you'll receive a lot of support from your friends here.....;)

thankyou all for your support. It means a lot to me. these past few weeks have been very emotional and I will be very sad to see her go. Her Mum is being very supportive and understanding and I have made a good friend out of all this. She promises me I will get to see Mishka occasionally.

thankyou all for your support. It means a lot to me. these past few weeks have been very emotional and I will be very sad to see her go. Her Mum is being very supportive and understanding and I have made a good friend out of all this. She promises me I will get to see Mishka occasionally.

:grouphug:

Louise, well done for trying. It is better to try than not try at all. You have learnt a lot about your pack along the road as well as being confronted and managed some difficult situations. Don't beat yourself up about it. Life is lived going forward and you are bringing a wealth of experience forward with you which I have no doubt you will be able to pass on to others along the way. :grouphug:

You did your best - even honest enough to come on the forum about it where everyone has an opinion and is not afraid to give it - that takes guts, and shows how much you wanted to help!

As I'm currently on day 4 of settling in an adolescent intact male with another, fortunately being able to be with them constantly resetting behaviours I don't want and reinforcing those that I do, and am still finding it very hard - I can only imagine what it is like to settle three together!

So well done for giving it a go, and also well done for putting your family, and the foster dog, first over your pride. And in doing so you should have even more pride. You also (as someone wrote above) a wealth of experience from this that you can share with others...

Best regards,

Smiler

I had the same problem that you did and the same end result :/ Apart from it was the new dog that wouldn't accept us. We tried for nearly two months but just couldn't do it, he was so agressive towards us and so big he scared me :/ We all ended up with cuts and scars.. It's not your fault and it's not the dogs faults.. You can't make two humans like each other so it's not your fault your dogs didn't get on. You made the best decision for everyone involve and no one should disrespect that :)

You did your best - even honest enough to come on the forum about it where everyone has an opinion and is not afraid to give it - that takes guts, and shows how much you wanted to help!

As I'm currently on day 4 of settling in an adolescent intact male with another, fortunately being able to be with them constantly resetting behaviours I don't want and reinforcing those that I do, and am still finding it very hard - I can only imagine what it is like to settle three together!

So well done for giving it a go, and also well done for putting your family, and the foster dog, first over your pride. And in doing so you should have even more pride. You also (as someone wrote above) a wealth of experience from this that you can share with others...

Best regards,

Smiler

Thankyou so much for the kind wordds of wisdon Gary, it means a lot.

Storm is such a soft lad that it really wasnt hard convincing him to accept another into the pack.

Angel well here is where out problem is lol.

If I only had Storm I would be able to foster again and again and again but I dont so its tough I guess.

I had the same problem that you did and the same end result :/ Apart from it was the new dog that wouldn't accept us. We tried for nearly two months but just couldn't do it, he was so agressive towards us and so big he scared me :/ We all ended up with cuts and scars.. It's not your fault and it's not the dogs faults.. You can't make two humans like each other so it's not your fault your dogs didn't get on. You made the best decision for everyone involve and no one should disrespect that :)

I think if we were intending on keeping her we would get a behaviourist/trainer in to help but we arent so its best for her to move on.

I think if we were intending on keeping her we would get a behaviourist/trainer in to help but we arent so its best for her to move on.

Ah, my mistake.. I didn't read the fostering part :/ But yeah, we tried that with ours too, he was just to stubborn, He'd been mistreated by previous owners and had baad trust issues with everyone :/

Fostering is bloody hard and emotional work,and i've always said if it changes my dogs personalities then i would stop.

i will only have females because Marley will not accept any other male at all,we did try and the Marley that we saw was a totally different scary Marley:eek:

fortunately after the initial ''this is our house'' my dogs are very accepting of females,Tia is the one who will start a fight but will soon settle once reminded of our rules and Shadow just looks as if to say ''oh god another one''.

Mishka my foster looks like she has been here forever and i'm in two minds whether to actually give her up or not.

Fostering is bloody hard and emotional work,and i've always said if it changes my dogs personalities then i would stop.

i will only have females because Marley will not accept any other male at all,we did try and the Marley that we saw was a totally different scary Marley:eek:

fortunately after the initial ''this is our house'' my dogs are very accepting of females,Tia is the one who will start a fight but will soon settle once reminded of our rules and Shadow just looks as if to say ''oh god another one''.

Mishka my foster looks like she has been here forever and i'm in two minds whether to actually give her up or not.

exactly my point Tan, the fact that angel has gone for me and storm and the fact storm is grumpy and growly suggests its not going to work.

and 4???? youre blooming nuts woman!

have you thought about taking a male?

Grey wont stand for another male in his house, but we can bring girls in with no issues

we have thought about it but Angel is intact so untill she is done we wouldnt even attempt it.

And to be honest what we have been through lately has really turned me off the idea of fostering,