Is it possible to teach them no leash pulling??

Benjiro

it just made me wonder.. our gorgeous and handsome dogs were born to be sled dogs or atleast it is innate for them. So is it possible to train them no leash pulling?? just so I know if I should continue training him no leash pulling or that he's born to lead the way whenever we have a walk :wave1:

it just made me wonder.. our gorgeous and handsome dogs were born to be sled dogs or atleast it is innate for them. So is it possible to train them no leash pulling?? just so I know if I should continue training him no leash pulling or that he's born to lead the way whenever we have a walk :wave1:

Yes of course it is! It's 100% possible!

Check out this video of my girl, and part way through theres a video of her walking loose leash:

8N4yay85yx4

We now compete in competitive obedience :)

Stacey xxx

Yes you can train them to "Loose lead / leash" walking.

As always with EVERYTHING Husky it all takes TIME and PATIENCE. :)

Here is a You tube video which shows one method.

We have used this successfully with our guys.

zoJPUH6ULLc

Benjiro

Also. . . Here's a vid of me walking my 3.

Phone (Camera) in one hand 2 Huskies and a German Shepherd in the other.

(All the leads are connected together with Mountain Climbing carabiners)

I certainly couldn't accomplish this without loose lead walking.

However it took a year of training to get them to this point.

Pbbo9NiNhZM

Also see this link to another part of the Forum with some good advice, (and lots of differing opinions

and approaches to training.)

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/how-do-i-stop-my-dog-pulling.31881/#post-509114

Great videos! Certainly can't wait til Echo is at that stage :P I have been working with her for the past 2 months I have had her on not pulling. She still does pull, but has made major improvement with it, but like others said, takes time and patience (a lot of frustration too:lolman:). But it has all been worth it, as walks are starting to become more enjoyable, for the most part. But those videos definetly make me a believer haha

Yep yep! In fact my purebred is better on the leash than my cross. Wyatt is very mindful of the end of the leash and heels nicely. Scout is not bad, but likes the leash taught, which I don't appreciate. I still consider him a work in progress. When I use a retractable leash, a sharp "ah-ah!" or "whoa" usually stops them when they're running full-tilt so they don't jerk me when they hit the end of the leash. But they both know about how far they can go, just need the vocal reminder from time to time.

Sounds like you need a 'walk your dog with love' harness - rubbish name BUT IT WORKS! See various relevant threads for more details. Molly went from pulling 'like a train' to walking on a slack lead in zero seconds flat. Erm... except when we take her out with the 'normal lead'... More work needed!

woah!! thank you everyone. I watched the video yesterday and tried to apply it this morning and in just about 5 minutes or so of walking back and forth each time Benjiro pulls. We were able to walk without him, pulling the leash no strains. Impressive. However, he'd start to pull and with all his might whenever we walk across a cat. Guess we'll have to work on focus more. :wave1:

Sounds like you need a 'walk your dog with love' harness - rubbish name BUT IT WORKS! See various relevant threads for more details. Molly went from pulling 'like a train' to walking on a slack lead in zero seconds flat. Erm... except when we take her out with the 'normal lead'... More work needed!

I wonder what that leash look like?

No videos I'm afraid, just photographs :(. Going to a KCAI meeting today so I'll see what events are going on now though and try and get some.

Stacey xxx

Super! That would be great. can you tell me what the KCAI is? sorry not up on all the UK terms :)

I do find the standards in UK competitive obedience very interesting compared to other countries like the US though! The standard for heelwork is SO high! I have friend going over to compete at Crufts obedience next year... will be so fun watching it :)

Super! That would be great. can you tell me what the KCAI is? sorry not up on all the UK terms :)

I do find the standards in UK competitive obedience very interesting compared to other countries like the US though! The standard for heelwork is SO high!

The Kennel Clubs Association of Instructors. I'm a student with them at the moment :). I complete the course over 5 years and then will be accredited by the kennel club and be Stacey Ashford KCAI :)

Stacey xxx

The Kennel Clubs Association of Instructors. I'm a student with them at the moment :). I complete the course over 5 years and then will be accredited by the kennel club and be Stacey Ashford KCAI :)

Stacey xxx

Oh that sounds cool!

Did you post the pics of Aleu competing on here? Would LOVE to see them! Obedience is my favourite sport :) Have you titled in any level yet? (sorry not familiar with the UK title system)

woah!! thank you everyone. I watched the video yesterday and tried to apply it this morning and in just about 5 minutes or so of walking back and forth each time Benjiro pulls. We were able to walk without him, pulling the leash no strains. Impressive. However, he'd start to pull and with all his might whenever we walk across a cat. Guess we'll have to work on focus more. :wave1:

The first few times you try this method you don't actually go anywhere. :jawdrop:

Just back and forth over a few hundred metres until they start to get the idea.

As they get the idea, they walk further keeping their attention on you and so you get more distance.

As for reacting to cats / dogs / squirrels / blowing crisp packets etc, that's a whole different set of training altogether. :)

The WYDWL harness and other No-pulling tools such as the Halti and Canny collars are training tools.

Use them to stop the initial arm dislocating pull, then use loose leash training as well, until you can transfer them onto a normal collar or harness.

These tools are not designed to be used as a permanent solution to stop the pulling.

They are great though to give you some measure of control, while you work on further training.

Keep up the good work. :up:

Oh that sounds cool!

Did you post the pics of Aleu competing on here? Would LOVE to see them! Obedience is my favourite sport :) Have you titled in any level yet? (sorry not familiar with the UK title system)

I think I did somewhere. We're just working in beginner competitions at the moment, but speaking to some mentors today, I'm going to push and start competing in obedience more professionally.

Stacey xxx

With my two it depends. When I take Shila out on her own on a leash - usually to go potty - when we walk around she'll stay right with me and rarely pulls ahead of me. But Orion on his own, or with Shila, loves to move on ahead of me and if Shi's with him she pulls. I'm working with Orion now though on trying to walk calm at my side; after seeing the video earlier in the post, I'm going to try that, at least until I get my focused heeling DVD and then I'm going to try and train both dogs in that. :)