Who let's there Husky of the lead / leash ?

okami

I keep reading things saying that Huskys should never be trusted off the lead ,

is this a general belief right through the husky owning world ? or is this just something non trusting dog owners say ?

dose it depend on the dog ? or the breed ?

ive had no problems with Okami off the lead , I do walk him and my bosten terrier X together though and they always stay and play together and as soon as i call the bos comes, Okami follows him ,

am i just being lucky ?

should I invest in some horse lunging ropes ?

I trust my pups but the more i read the more dout setts in!

he is a very chilled out non hyper dog , they love there long runs , and I always wate untill there is no one anywhere before letting them run, and round them up quickly if i see any thing coming but if the general feeling is that he should not be let off then i will stop , I dont want to loose my baby ,

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I currently have one dog out of 11 that I can and will let off lead, and two half-siblings that with lots of work, would probably eventually be trustworthy. That said, I live on an acreage in the middle of farm country, so the risks are minimized. I would not be inclined to trust them and push my luck, even as good and reliable as Tux is, under most circumstances! If he got confused about what I wanted, or if something came up that otherwise confused the situation, he might not run away, but might move into a situation where he could too easily get hurt...

You need to know your dog, and KNOW the circumstances where you can predict what he/she will do! How old is he at this point? That can make a difference, too.

i can not let either of mine off the lead, i did for a while when he was younger with my big Boy but impossible now soon as he smells something/someone off he goes he does turn around and looks where i am but he would not come free will back to me... i did love it as you could awesome throw balls far and he would fetch them. with sky...she does not come back whats how ever,lol

he is very young just 5 months ! writing that I know how it looks pretty bad at such a young age but though all the dogs ive known in my life this is the calmest puppy I have ever met! and almost the smartest , he learns most commands after maybe 3 attempts ,

he really is chilled out he dosent act at all like a pup he never did , dosent chew things or run about or chase and seems more than happy to follow my older dog around ,

i know the breeder he comes from did alot of work with him he was already good on the lead and sitting and new what no meant so I guess it helped ,

she has ? 11 adult huskys and he was one of 7 so im thinking this is why he follows my older dog so well , maybe the older ones kept them in check ....

I know he is young I just dont feel he would run away , just seems everywhere that I look I see things that say if you want a dog that can be trusted off the lead dont get a husky ,

when i rescued badger about 8 months ago,i wouldnt let her of the lead as she had to get used to me and trust me before i let her go...she was with me for about 4 months before i trusted her to go play off lead..she now goes off every day down my local field(that does have 10 foot fence around it lol) and stay's by my side.she does like to go play with other dogs but i trust her..

As Gigi said. I also have 1 husky, and thats out of 6 I have ever owned that I can leave off. Then again I am not sure that he is a husky in his mind lol. We call him princess, and seee princesses cant run lol. Perhaps that goes some way in describing why he can be left off. It takes a lot of experiance with husky knowledge to know when and which one you can ever get to let off. Believe me at least once you will think to yourself ooh its ok surely they will be ok, but thats very rare. Even when we let Bayan off, were very careful where. All the others are strictly all on lead. I would definately get a lunge rein. Better safe than sorry

I have a cross and she is allowed offlead when I take her out. It's taken a lot of work to get her reliable enough though, and she went through about 3/4 phases where I had to put her back on her long line because she stopped listening (I've put this down to the ages she was - maturing and all that). I consider her reliable enough now but it's been tough. Can't imagine I'd let a pure husky off lead to be honst but I also think it's down to the owner's discretion - I wouldn't criticise someone for letting their husky offlead if they know their dog, know the place they're letting their dog off, and put effort into training a recall. At the end of the day that's what I've done, cross or not there's a risk; I'm aware of this and willing to take that risk. If other owners are as sensible then I have no issue.

hes still only a pup - at the moment u and ur boston are the best things since sliced bread to him - wait till he discovers his prey drive and the desire to RUN

i can and have let skyla off before - however there were NO distractions around i wouldnt trust her otherwise - n ive let her off like twice but never again just because if she spots something shes ALOT quicker than me and i wouldnt be able 2 catch her - she means to much for me to risk

ive never done it with blaze - he escaped once n nearly ended up under the wheels of a car - that made my mind up for me to keep skyla onlead too - even away from roads

IMO 100ft leads off ebay are 1 of the best things u could ever buy for a sibe

I would put him back on a leash for now - my reasoning is that he's about to hit the "teenage" period, and will likely push limits at least to some extent! If he doesn't learn that he can get away and that it can be a fun game, he's not as likely to try it later. Once he's through that teenage phase, you'll have a better chance of him being relatively reliable off-lead. If you do this and later decide to take him off-lead, I'd advise dong it relatively gradually, rather than simply taking the leash off and trusting - work up to full trust gradually by letting him off in a very safe situation for a short period of time, and reward him BIG time for coming back and having the leash put back on. That way, coming back to the leash and to you is as rewarding as being free!

My Tux (now 9) was pretty reliable about 3 years ago, but took off after something one morning, and I had to drive around the neighborhood, finally finding him at a neighbor's place after about an hour. He wasn't allowed off-lead for several years, and then I let him off gradually, not trusting him completely for a bit. He's figured out by now that being off-lead depends on his good behavior, and that he'll lose the freedom VERY quickly if he doesn't toe the line - Mom means business! - so he's been very, very good for me! (He's even learned to leave the many barn cats alone!)

that went a bit wrong lol

Ok the pink star is where we live , the feilds with the yellow X is where i walk with them i keep it the same each time,

the yellow arrows point to a moterway BUT what you cant tell by the photo is that it is high ubove the feild and set back , almost clif like but man made ,so much so that you can barely hear the road . and it is fenced off ,

Looks like i will be needing a 100 foot lead ,

i dont want to loose him ,

For the moment you're probably OK but I would WORK with the dog for recall- not just being offlead and you need to come to terms with the fact that your dog may or probably will not be good off-lead in just a few months time. They get to that age when their drive really develops and that's when you're going to encounter trouble. Mine are all trained to recall (every time) to a stockdog whistle and will run over/through/around anything to get to me but i've put a lot of work into it. Even though they do so well- I don't ever trust them to run offlead unless we're someplace safe (such as an enclosed park.)

Casper is always off leash but only in a small field behind my building, once he ran away from me crossing a road into a supermarket parking lot, but it was cuz i was angry the further he got away, he sensed my stress from being scared and in turn was scared as well. Now i just ask him calmly and lovingly to come back and he always does, followed by a treat of course.

Initially he was always on leash but there's another husky in the building, a 6 year old female and the owner influenced me in takeing him off leash, Hes been a better dog since, more submissive and loving in fact. And no collar either (runs away from angry sibe owners LOL) he looks so much more beautiful without it.

he is very young just 5 months ! writing that I know how it looks pretty bad at such a young age but though all the dogs ive known in my life this is the calmest puppy I have ever met! and almost the smartest , he learns most commands after maybe 3 attempts ,

he really is chilled out he dosent act at all like a pup he never did , dosent chew things or run about or chase and seems more than happy to follow my older dog around ,

i know the breeder he comes from did alot of work with him he was already good on the lead and sitting and new what no meant so I guess it helped ,

she has ? 11 adult huskys and he was one of 7 so im thinking this is why he follows my older dog so well , maybe the older ones kept them in check ....

I know he is young I just dont feel he would run away , just seems everywhere that I look I see things that say if you want a dog that can be trusted off the lead dont get a husky ,

Be wary as they can be sneaky little so and so's! Teeko was great off lead and had off lead time right up until he was about 7 months old and then....we noticed a bit of a change in his attitude and we just knew it had reached a point where it was too risky so decided never again. 100ft lead is defintiely the way forward!

When my first husky was 14, and slow and getting on in life to the point that he physically couldn't have escaped from me, I opened the back door without thinking and he literally jumped at the opportunity to make a run for it. Because of his age, I was able to catch him before he got more than 10 foot away. The point I'm trying to make is that even at 14+ years old, he was still willing to make a break for it....it was in his blood, his heritage, his breeding - whatever you want to call it - he still had it.

About this same time, we were walking on lead when a fledgling robin hopped across the yard. I seen no point in not allowing him to 'chase' it a bit. What were his chances in actually catching it at his ability to get around.........Before I knew what had happened, he'd caught it.

The thing is, no matter how we think we have things under control, for whatever reason we think that way, we can sadly be mistaken.

Your pup is young and hasn't hit the rebellious and/or question everything point in his life. He will. And about the time you feel comfortable, he's going to beg to differ with you.

That is not to say that there aren't huskies who do quite well off lead. But they have exceptional trainers. I don't know about you, I'm good with my girl - but I am the first person to say that I am not exceptional in training her. She has some recall, but not so very good that I'd trust her off lead. And not so good that I'd take that risk with her.

thanks for all your replies , i love how frendly and willing to help you all are ,

has anyone got a link or a photo of a 100 ft lead please ?

is it a retractable ? or rope ?

Ebay is the way!.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=100ft+lead&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I would never use a retractable, especially with a husky, as the very very thin nylon rope is really dangerous if it catches your skin. Can cause horrendous burns (a kid I know had one catch the back of her knee and she literally couldn't sit without being on a chari for at least 2 weeks,)

I was told that whatever breed you can always train them to be off lead. I would never trust a husky off lead ever no matter how good recall is they just run so far and so fast they don't even realize how far they are when its too late. There are a couple people where i live who let their huskies offlead most of the time they stay but they say they do take off sometimes and they have to go look for them :/ others let their senior huskies offlead becasue they wont make it very far :P Marius goes offlead in fenced areas or areas NOWHERE near any type of road even when hes offlead in a half fenced or middle of nowhere area he has a 10ft reflective lead that drags behind him Im getting him a longer one because 10ft just seems too short :P

aaaahhhh! i see ! they sell these at the pet shop we wear in just yesterday! i was going to get one but my hubby said it was ment for tieing a dog in the garden not walking lol

i will pass buy and get one tomorow ,

as for retractable leads they are a nightmare! im so so glad its not one of them lol

On the military base we found a non used T-ball (like base ball) pitch complete with metal cage with double doors , its over grown and abandoned but i did the off lead training in there using it like a dog park ;) i think our normal field walk couple of time a day on a 100 ft lead is defiantly going to be the way to go for him and a trip once a day to the unofficial dog park for his run :)

I havent had an issue yet and i would rather never have one so im happy to do this ,

:)

aaaahhhh! i see ! they sell these at the pet shop we wear in just yesterday! i was going to get one but my hubby said it was ment for tieing a dog in the garden not walking lol

i will pass buy and get one tomorow ,

as for retractable leads they are a nightmare! im so so glad its not one of them lol

vid ov mine on their 100ft leads

UP1fyrp6SrU

rectractables are good if u know how to use them properly n trust ur dog - whenever i take skyla out on her own i always use a retractable - shes much better behaved on 1 then a normal lead

Hi. We Have had qilaq since he was 6 weeks old and anytime we have walked him he is off lead unless it's at a road. But he's now 13months and always gets off lead. In the forest, beach, up the braes where there is fields after fields and he always comes back. Yes he has smelled something and went to find it. But we stay where he left us and 5 mins he comes bouncing back.

We have recently got a 1year old girl sibe. Who we also walk off lead. She does have a bit more of an adventurous nature and will push the boundaries, however just like qilaq she always comes back!!!

At the end of the day only you know your own dogs therefore it is up to you to decide what is right for you :-) but for us it's off the lead all the way :-)