Is the gene for blue-eye dominant?

Benjiro

I think that it IS recessive, but that it might not be a simple recessive, but a multi-gene thing. I'm pretty sure that if you breed blue-eyed to blue-eyed, you get only blue eyes - but there has to be a second gene involved, I'd think, to be able to get bi and parti-colored eyes. (As I recall my human genetics classes - years ago! - it's a multi-gene thing in humans, too.)

I think that it IS recessive, but that it might not be a simple recessive, but a multi-gene thing. I'm pretty sure that if you breed blue-eyed to blue-eyed, you get only blue eyes - but there has to be a second gene involved, I'd think, to be able to get bi and parti-colored eyes. (As I recall my human genetics classes - years ago! - it's a multi-gene thing in humans, too.)

Several genes are responsible for eye color. Generally blue is recessive, but in combination with other genes can sometimes be equally expressed, eg hazel eyes, or parti-color eyes. For hazel or parti, one each of a blue and a brown gene must be present.

It's much more complicated than one gene being dominant but in general blues are recessive, browns are dominant, and in the absence of any other influencing from related alleles that rule will get you by.

Several genes are responsible for eye color. Generally blue is recessive, but in combination with other genes can sometimes be equally expressed, eg hazel eyes, or parti-color eyes. For hazel or parti, one each of a blue and a brown gene must be present.

It's much more complicated than one gene being dominant but in general blues are recessive, browns are dominant, and in the absence of any other influencing from related alleles that rule will get you by.

Thanks! It's been many years since my college genetics class!

You and me both! But I was fascinated with the whole eye color thing, it stuck better than some of the other topics.

I was pretty sure I remembered that it was multiple genes, but couldn't remember how it all worked. Regardless, it was one of my very favorite classes!

I know both of Marius's parents had blues eyes and 2 of the puppies had blue eyes and one had one blue one brown. Marius's grand parents on his moms side both has blue and on his dads side one had brown and one had blue. Ive seen two browns eyes come from a line of blue eyed huskies

I know both of Marius's parents had blues eyes and 2 of the puppies had blue eyes and one had one blue one brown. Marius's grand parents on his moms side both has blue and on his dads side one had brown and one had blue. Ive seen two browns eyes come from a line of blue eyed huskies

Ok! I'd never seen anything but blue eyes come from two blue-eyed parents! Learn something new every day!

Ok! I'd never seen anything but blue eyes come from two blue-eyed parents! Learn something new every day!

I thought that was how it worked but when I asked my breeder if Marius would have blue eyes she told me it was random that just becasue the parents both have blue doesnt mean he will and that she gets alot of browns from blue eyed parents. Go figure :P