Only missing a few hours and they euthanized him!

Kara

I would be sooooooo freeking angry! They should be looking for the owners before making that kind of decision unless it is really bad. The dog was not even there that long they JUST found it. I would take them to court over it -.- The dog might have wandered off to die tho who knows but still they should have gone about it better

So sad. If I find a loose dog (and can catch it), I knock on a few doors and call all the vets nearby and the shelter to report a found dog. And I take the dog to see if they have a microchip. I wonder if the vet even checked for a microchip. Seems like they acted way too fast. I could see doing that after a few days and not finding the owners, but not that quickly.

I would threaten to euthanize the vet... because they seem pretty useless. A few Hours is no where near enough time to check around for owners and to let the owners find their dog. to me it didn't seem like the type of dog to stray from home, so to me it kinda sounds like someone just plucked Basie from the yard! with people these days and how they treat animals you never know...

17. Wow.

I understand completely why this happened though. I don't know anything about that area and the volume of dogs they might get, but a dog that old, thin and stiff would certainly be a prime candidate for immediate euthanasia. I don't doubt that the vet wanted to do it ASAP as an act of kindness to the dog - she came in as a supposed stray, she probably looked half-starved due to her advanced age, even according to the owners she's stiff as all get out, and since she had recently eaten if they tried to feed her she probably refused it...

I'm sorry, but this is another clear reminder of why a dog should always have identification on it - especially if you don't even have a fence! If the collar rubs their neck - get a different one. Or at the very least put it on when they go out!

That being said, there really should be at the very least a 12-24 hour hold policy on euthanasia for this very reason. This would still be dependent on suffering though, and the question is how bad did the vet actually think she was to go ahead with it?

Unless the dog was in a poor state of health she shouldn't of been euthanized without the consent of the owner. The owners should take this to court so the full facts of the case can be heard by a judge and an appropriate action can be taken

That's just it - we don't know how bad she looked to the vet. The owners had stated that she was very old, thin and stiff, and that someone had actually brought her home and thought she was in bad condition previously. I've seen dogs brought into vet clinics where I've worked that I have felt have been well past where they should have been allowed to peacefully pass on to the Rainbow Bridge - they were suffering, but because the owners loved them so much, they were blind to it (and the dogs usually seem to try to hide it from those who love them so much)! The vet may have seen what the owners couldn't - or wouldn't.

That's just it - we don't know how bad she looked to the vet. The owners had stated that she was very old, thin and stiff, and that someone had actually brought her home and thought she was in bad condition previously. I've seen dogs brought into vet clinics where I've worked that I have felt have been well past where they should have been allowed to peacefully pass on to the Rainbow Bridge - they were suffering, but because the owners loved them so much, they were blind to it (and the dogs usually seem to try to hide it from those who love them so much)! The vet may have seen what the owners couldn't - or wouldn't.

Because I can only hit the 'like' button once - like x10!

That grey area between quality of life and doing them a kindness by letting them go is such a tough call, but you're right - I've seen far too many critters people left drag on far too long because the owners couldn't bear to part with them. It's hard with old dogs too, because they can have their good days and their bad days. From the sounds of the article, this was a 'good' day, because "She was actually doing pretty well that morning," he said. "She'd eaten. She'd gone to the bathroom." Kinda makes it sound like this wasn't a daily occurrence.

Neither here nor there, but it makes it certainly all the more understandable why the vet made the decision s/he did.

I'm glad to see some sense coming through. Whenever we see a story like this, we should attempt to view it from the opposite side.

From the vet's point of view: if they were to respond with comments about the dog living in pain etc, then they'd be putting themselves in the position of having to get involved in prosecuting the owners for cruelty. Better they keep a dignified silence.