Laska's weight

Laska

Hi all

Laska is 8 months old , i walk her for miles everyday she swims and has a good workout , I also have pulling sessions with her with a full harness and she eats healthy .

Here is my concern... Both her parents are normal husky size and were well bread. When i took laska to the vets for her injections the vet said she will be a big dog. i thought he ment big as in normal husky size.

But ive just had her wieght taken and she is 76 pounds. but she has no fat as such on her but alot of fur.

Is it possible for a sib to get this big as i im working her out good and not really sure where im going wrong.

Im not really worried as im not showing her or anything ever . and as long as she is fit and keep cuddling me im happy :rolleyes:

Added a couple of pics while wet do you think she is fat ?

post-448-13585943407159_thumb.jpg

post-448-13585943407591_thumb.jpg

ideal weight for a female averages between 35 - 50 lbs but if you can just feel their ribs then it's fine - having said that she doesn't look fat in the pics but then hard to tell, their coats are so deceiving lol

Dont forget as well, muscle weighs more than fat :D

I'd be a bit careful about that much work though for such a young dog. The general rule is 10 minutes per day for every month they are, so at 8 months she should only be getting about 80 minutes exercise spread over the whole day. Its just that as we all know, huskies can suffer from hip problems, and some of these are caused by overexercising when their bones and joints haven't fully formed.

From the pics though she certainly doesn't look overweight.

Wow. she is a big girl. Our Zoya just turned a year old. She weighs between 55 and 60 pounds, and that's big for a female. She is still gorwing, though it's slowed down. I would not worry about it. Some dogs are bigger than others, just like us humans.

The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month, per walk. E.g. a 3 month old puppy should and can only go for a 15min walk >>> However you may take them ou tfor many 15 minute walks, just as long as they have a nice long rest inbetween.

When our 2 were 8 months we never took them for longer than 40 mins, now their a year they can finally go out for an hour. Sibes are a very slow growing breed, they are considered matured by the age of 2, yet still fill out until the age of 3. Thus their bones are supple and still soft for growing, by over-walking your sibe you are putting pressure on her joints, bones and muscles >> This could not only stunt growth but cuase joint problems when older >>>> So try and keep to the rule.

Alaska is 1 year now and only weighs 20kg >> its very normal for sibes to be skinny teens until 2 years. Dont forget if you ever see a "big" sibe, its all coat unless their fat. These dogs where bred to run for miles through snow...fast! They need stamina, strength and speed >>> If they were built like a brick shi* house this wouldn't be possible:cool: A healthy sibe should look like an athlete, >>> I think she looks perfect;)

Heres Alaska with no underoat looking rather lean >> and the second one with her bro Balto with a winter coat >> i know its not a body shot but thats what she looked like all over, although she has a medium coat everyone can really tell now its gone...she looks like a run-way model:rolleyes:

[ATTACH]2133.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2134.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-126-13585943409701_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943410454_thumb.jpg

I'd be a bit careful about that much work though for such a young dog. The general rule is 10 minutes per day for every month they are, so at 8 months she should only be getting about 80 minutes exercise spread over the whole day. Its just that as we all know, huskies can suffer from hip problems, and some of these are caused by overexercising when their bones and joints haven't fully formed.

From the pics though she certainly doesn't look overweight.

Hey >>> Vets reccamend 5 mins >>

http://www.thepuppyguide.co.uk/puppy-faqs/puppy-health-and-diet/walk-my-puppy.php

Dont want to nit-pick but just want to give the right info;)...i think 80mins for an 8 months old pup is a bit long.

The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month, per walk. E.g. a 3 month old puppy should and can only go for a 15min walk >>> However you may take them ou tfor many 15 minute walks, just as long as they have a nice long rest inbetween.

When our 2 were 8 months we never took them for longer than 40 mins, now their a year they can finally go out for an hour. Sibes are a very slow growing breed, they are considered matured by the age of 2, yet still fill out until the age of 3. Thus their bones are supple and still soft for growing, by over-walking your sibe you are putting pressure on her joints, bones and muscles >> This could not only stunt growth but cuase joint problems when older >>>> So try and keep to the rule.

Alaska is 1 year now and only weighs 20kg >> its very normal for sibes to be skinny teens until 2 years. Dont forget if you ever see a "big" sibe, its all coat unless their fat. These dogs where bred to run for miles through snow...fast! They need stamina, strength and speed >>> If they were built like a brick shi* house this wouldn't be possible:cool: A healthy sibe should look like an athlete, >>> I think she looks perfect;)

Heres Alaska with no underoat looking rather lean >> and the second one with her bro Balto with a winter coat >> i know its not a body shot but thats what she looked like all over, although she has a medium coat everyone can really tell now its gone...she looks like a run-way model:rolleyes:

[ATTACH]2371[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2372[/ATTACH]

only 20kg suka is not quite 8 moths and is weighing in at just over 15kg

Im no good with lbs but normal female adult husky weight usually ranges between the 20-25kgs mark. In the pics she looks fine just had alot of fur.

Thing with many vets is the weigh a dog like siberian and forget that the coat can add a few lbs onto their body weight and where the coat is very dense and thick vets can find it hard to judge if the sibe if overweight or not (unless it is pure obvious (i.e. ribs show or the sibe has a very fat belly and no shape)

Our vet thought Marley was overweight once as I had took him in with Bandit who is much slimmer than Marley (Marley is the more chunky type sibe) but I mentioned he eats no more than either of my dogs, gets no less exercise than either of my dogs, etc etc so how could he be overweight, plus to the fact he was only about 20kgs then (think he was 7-8 months old) and Bandit was about the same weight. The funny thing is Bandit has always been on the smaller size and Marley has always been on the bigger size and when they were puppies you would have looked at them and thought Marley was heavier but in fact Bandit was the heavier one, try and work that one out (I still haven't lol)!

All dogs are different and like humans they have differnt metabolism rates too which can also result in the size variations within a breed and also what they are used for (i.e. showing, working or companion). Diet and treats can also take a big part in it too, if they are not balanced out right you can cause overweight or underweight issues.

Do you have anyone who works, shows or rescues sibes near you or just someone who is very experienced wit the breed? Maybe you could ask them to look at Laskia and see what they think. How far away are the breeders you bought her from to you? Maybe they will be a better judge as they are more likely to know how the other sibes from the litter/s turned out.

Wow she's huge! She's a lovely looking girl - are you sure her parents were pure Siberian?

Yeah both mother and father were viewed and have kc registration. But she was a birthday present for me so i cant really look into it more . But she is so funny and faithful i wouldnt care if i found out she was half sauasge dog :P

Hey >>> Vets reccamend 5 mins >>

http://www.thepuppyguide.co.uk/puppy-faqs/puppy-health-and-diet/walk-my-puppy.php

Dont want to nit-pick but just want to give the right info;)...i think 80mins for an 8 months old pup is a bit long.

No no, you're absolutely right. As I typed it last night I thought it sounded like a lot, but it is 5 mins per month, not 10.

only 20kg suka is not quite 8 moths and is weighing in at just over 15kg

This is Balto at 7 months and he weiged 15kg >>> He looks like he weighed more right! Plus he was deff bigger (in appearence) than Suka is now at nearly 8 months eventhough Suka weighs more!

[ATTACH]2140.IPB[/ATTACH]

And i can easily see how such a femmine sibe like Alaski only weighs 20kg, plus Suka is a bog and their is a huge difference between boy sibes and girl sibes ...believe it or not 'fat boy' Balto only weighs 22kg now at 1years. Heres how they both look today:

[ATTACH]2141.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2142.IPB[/ATTACH]

This one of Baltz was taken a month ago (not a good pic..soz;))

[ATTACH]2143.IPB[/ATTACH]

He's even bigger now and still weighs in at 22kg <<< Its all about frames with sibes, they are not considered a heavy breed, they are a medium dog.

Just like Amy said, eventhough Marely looks massive Bandit weighed more than him:rolleyes:

No no, you're absolutely right. As I typed it last night I thought it sounded like a lot, but it is 5 mins per month, not 10.

lool, just double checking too, glad i wasn't wrong anywhoo:p

post-126-13585943415277_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943415846_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943416497_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943416757_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...