How was English Language Developed? Hilarious Video!

StormFi

Okay, I'll be the one to ask...

Is that British English or Real (aka American) English? :lolman:

LOL - British English.

I'm not sure which system Canada uses. I think its a combination of both, but we don't use all the weird terms like 'nappies'...but we spell COLOUR the right way. LOL

LOL - British English.

I'm not sure which system Canada uses. I think its a combination of both, but we don't use all the weird terms like 'nappies'...but we spell COLOUR the right way. LOL

Hey, I always say keep it simple, lol! Why in the world add in any more extra, unnecessary letters than you absolutely have to?!

Funny video!

Good vid. Elyse made me think tht they need to do a vid on how certain words have different meanings depending on whether it is British English or American English e.g. chips/crisps or the dreaded word "rubber". Years ago I worked for a very prim and proper OCD American and working out some finance asked him to pass me the rubber. He went bright red and was stuttering. I hadn't a clue what was wrong so asked him what the problem was. It took him about five minutes to explain stuttering all the way. LOL

laughing-smiley-007.gif

Good vid. Elyse made me think tht they need to do a vid on how certain words have different meanings depending on whether it is British English or American English e.g. chips/crisps or the dreaded word "rubber". Years ago I worked for a very prim and proper OCD American and working out some finance asked him to pass me the rubber. He went bright red and was stuttering. I hadn't a clue what was wrong so asked him what the problem was. It took him about five minutes to explain stuttering all the way. LOL

So, did he ever pass you the rubber?

:doglaugh:

:oops1::yahoo:

It made my remind of something I read in my English book on my secondary school. English is a strange language :D

There's no egg in eggplant, no ham in hamburger, neither apple nor pine in pineapple, English muffins weren’t invented in England, nor do French fries come from France. Sweetmeats are candies, sweetbreads aren‘t sweet nor meat. Quicksand works slowly, boxing rings are square, and guinea pigs are neither from Guinea nor pigs.

Writers write but fingers don’t fing, grocers don’t groce, and hammers don’t ham. If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn’t the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, two geese. One moose, two meese? One index, two indices? You can make amends but not an amend? If you get rid of all your odds and ends save one, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? People recite at plays and play at recitals, ship by car and send cargo by ship, and have noses that run but feet that smell.

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? Your house can burn up as it burns down, you fill in a form by filling it out, and alarms go off by going on. When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. How can inflammable and flammable mean the same thing? And when a car slows up, it slows down!