Purina

Val (Zebedee)

I had Bandit on Purina puppy chow, but she's on SolidGold dog food now. From what I have researched Huskies are notoriously known for being able to manipulate their metabolism which keeps them in the ideal shape regardless of their environment or food intake. Im not sure if what I read was fact, so do some reading of your own and you may find Big D could have a metabolic problem rather than just food related. Im not trying to promote the use of metabolism altering drugs but depending on how factual the above statement was it could be the simpler solution to Diesels weight.

Pro plan has been said to cause skin conditions and I have also seem them first hand, I wont touch that type of Purina.

I only trust Bonnie which is made by Purina, I get 'working dog' because of the protein and fat content, I have trouble finding the 'puppy' for my 6 month old so i feed this, I also feed raw and they get whey powder and calcium D, I have mixed vitamins also but they only get this once a fortnight normally.

we've been giving our German Shep Pedigree healthy weight formula and its corn free....we had to put him on a diet! He has lost weight over the last few months and finally is not a giant whale. SO as far as diet food it worked for us.

Had mine on Purina DCO which I had to get from the vets due to Nanuk having upset stomach all the time as he was diagnosed with Colitis....they've now discontinued this so I did some research and have had him on Wafcol now for the past 2 months and the results are really good. No more sloppy poos and it's good value at £38.00 for a 15kg bag, he's not eating as much, pooing far less and the bag is lasting about 6 weeks. Salmon and potato has best reviews and they also do Chicken and sweeetcorn and some others. It's vet recommended but good thing is you can get it from Pets at Home or on line. Hyperallergenic and helps promote healthy coat, teeth etc and weight control.

Hope this helps :)

I wouldn't feed that.

Purina is made with very low quality if not just plain out questionable ingredients. If you need Diesel to loose weight, feeding purina won't help much in the end. It may have fewer calories and make him feel just as full (which is the secret behind the diet kibbles) but they are such poor quality in the end it's just unhealthy. What I would do is feed whatever you normally feed but beef up the food (since you should feed less of it) with green beans and pumpkin as those are more healthy fillers which will keep him satiated. Along with a bit more exercise you can begin to see some healthy weight loss.

Has diesel been checked for normal Thyroid?

sorry, guys, just getting back into topics again :oops:

Diesel has been put on Purina Obesity Management. Looking at the ingredients, it seems to be a lot of filler, but D only ever ate 2 meals a day & never begged for more food. He would have something similar to 1 raw fish or 400gm lean mince or 2 chicken wings or 1 tray of Wainwright's food, each of these would be one meal. Sometimes a mug of kibble with a raw egg. So all of those would make 1 meal for him & he'd have a combination of these to make 2 meals ( 2 chicken wings in the morning & raw mince at night, for example). He didn't poo too often or a lot each time he toileted as he was making the most of the food he ate. Now he poos for England, lots of it each time which suggests his body is not using the food & he is ejecting it from the rear!

Bob & Juno, he is currently having 335gm a day, split into 2 meals, of this Purina & has to go back on 14th Dec for a weigh in, but I worry it is not giving him sufficient nutrition.

Awesome. regarding the skin condition you mention - Diesel is groomed by a friend, The Groomer on here & she noticed on Friday he has developed something resembling dry skin on one of his legs. I need to have a chat with her as it was passed on via my fella so I'm gonna catch up, but is this coincidence? How long would he go before showing a condition connected with food (it's been 2 weeks now)?

Arooroomom - Diesel has not been checked for any conditions, I think they think we let him eat loads & give him treats & scraps too, which we don't. Even the people we meet up & walk with know not to give him treats (which is hard when he has his begging eyes on, but everyone is really good with us & understands). So I can only conclude that they think it is food volume related.

I seem to be feeding him more with this stuff than I did before & it was all good, natural raw food he was eating before. I guess I will have to see at the weigh in in 2 weeks time.

Thank you for everyone's input, it is definitely food for thought & ammunition when I go back to the vets should I need it ;)

Diesel has not been checked for any conditions, I think they think we let him eat loads & give him treats & scraps too, which we don't. Even the people we meet up & walk with know not to give him treats (which is hard when he has his begging eyes on, but everyone is really good with us & understands). So I can only conclude that they think it is food volume related.

If his food intake isn't that much I would very much think it's thyroid related. Thyroid controls metabolism and usually those effected but not treated are either super skinny and always hungry (hyperthyroid) or overweight but eat normal amounts (hypothyroid) unfortunately with both conditions nutritional intake is very much disturbed. If you haven't I would really really push to get that checked, it's a simple blood test. If that is the case there is nothing else you can do besides treating it that will take the weight off.

I'm thinking it would be good to have the thyroid checked, too, if he hasn't shown much/any weight loss! And yes, just 2 weeks on the Purina could cause him to start getting dry skin. The Purina is likely no where near as nutritious as what he had been eating.

You might be able to supplement with some foods that would provide more nutrition toward thyroid, if that is what the problem is...

http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothyroidism/foods-naturalthyroidhealth.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/way_6170542_vitamins-food-thyroid-health.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/373461-foods-for-thyroid-health/

• 3 weeks later...

We currently feed Moro and Luna (our shepherd Shiba mix) Purina puppy. We were feeding Moro Buffalo Blue Wilderness but we can't afford it for both of them. They seem to love it just the same and no digestive issues. Once we can afford Blue Wilderness again we'll go back because it is a better/more natural dog food.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks, Ness - I'm still debating whether I agree with this stuff but as Diesel lost 3.2Kg with it, I will keep him on it till the bag runs out & see from there .... I just feel he gets no nutrition from it, he eats it, bloats up then poops it out the other end ... no wonder he's losing weight on it!!