Oooh.. and Digging help?

Brady

Anything I can do to get him stop digging a million holes in my yard? I wouldn't mind him having one or two holes where he can dig to his heart's content, but I can't even walk in my yard anymore without falling into a few holes... and I don't want him digging under the fence!

Our garden looked like world war 3 happened there it was so full of holes! So we got Roxy a kids sandpit (and some sand :P) and let her dig there. If she tries to dig in the grass we tell her no and take her to the sandpit. She's got the idea now and really only digs there. I didn't mind the holes so much as i'm not very 'garden proud', it's the wet muddy paws she brings in the house after she's been digging i'm not fond of!

Wonder if we will be seeing any of these husky creations at next year's Chelsea Flower Show. Definitely makes mowing the lawn interesting. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's my objection to the holes - mowing can be rough! - not to mention falling in one after dark if I walk out into their yard! :P

Don't know if the sandpit would work with my guys - they like the taste of the dirt here, which is high in organic materials, and probably trace minerals - their poops tend to look ... interesting on occasions!

I have a boundary in our garden - the decking - and that's it.

No to on the grass :angry2: <-----this is really what I look like)

I have people come around for bbqs and stuff and if they're digging holes or pooping or weeing - (try and stop the boys from weeing and competing on even one blade of grass higher than another.... ) it wouldn't be ideal.

I think the designated and segregated area for digging is a good idea too - My garden isn't big enough to do that unfortunately. I would imagine though that they'd aim to empty the digging box:eek:

I taught my husky to dig in a certain area, I will photograph what it looks like but lets just say she has her own 'trenches'!

She NEVER digs in the grass! neither does my pointer (he actually doesn't dig).

When i was teaching her I'd put her poo in the holes.. you think she wanted to go near them.. no way! She realised not to do it on the lawn because i would only put the poo there! She also wont poo on the lawn only in a dirt area away from the lawn, my pointer shits anywhere on the lawn.. cause he's cool like that! ha ha

Same as Kiera - mine have a sand box where they can dig to their hearts content. We just periodically rake the sand smooth and they have cool sand to dig in once again!

Scout is pretty persistent at it though, and still periodically makes forays into the yard. I'll try sutsibe 's advice if he tries to start a hole somewhere again - though I don't have to worry until spring now.

To prevent digging under fence, what I do is that about 6 inches under the dirt, I add rocks under it so when the dig to it, they can't go deeper and tends to give up once they realize that probably under the fences haves rocks all around.

That's not a guarantee though - Wyatt used to actively dig in the section of our yard that was graveled over with big rock, and he was able to escape. Our solution (along with neutering him so he wasn't so desperate to escape! :confused:) was slabs of concrete hidden under the rocks.

Thanks everyone. Sherlock is neutered now, so I'm hoping he doesn't try to escape to search out any females - but who knows if he'll try to get out to see a new dog, or catch a cat, haha. Him and the neighbor dog started digging under the fence to try to get to each other, so we've put down some brick for now as a temporary measure. He's checked on every few minutes while he's in the yard to make sure he's not getting into too much trouble.

Unfortunately digging is a popular husky trait!

However that doesn't mean it can't be stopped.

I would consider encouraging him to dig in one particular area, but if not approached right it can become confusing to the dog.

The other way is to not allow them to dig at all! You can do this using the removal technique. You will need to be outside with them at all times, keep a leash handy (slip leads are best for this method) and if your sibe goes to dig give a firm 'ahah' and using the lead, remove them from the garden for a few seconds then allow them to go back into the garden - if the go to dig again, you remove them again and continue this process