Husky size.

Emil

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show lines here in the US tend to be wider through the rib cage than the working lines - or most of the dogs I've seen in pictures in the UK - and are often heavier in build (bone and muscle structures). I've found that with my dogs, they grow upward fairly quickly, usually, and have most of their height by about 7 months, but then continue to fill out - sometimes not totally maturing until 4 or 5! They will, however, be pretty well grown by 1.5 - 2 years of age.

I thought that was normal these are oldish pics but they haven't changed much [ATTACH=full]30064[/ATTACH] . They are all from the same parents different litters and the Dad is big. I don't even know if this will make sense but they have a really wide ribcage....but don't seem fat.... they aren't long legged either - well as far as other sibes I've seen... My little fella swims a lot so his chest has expanded a bit in the last couple of months from this pic but my Storm is the same....Here is Skye with Storm on desheeding day... Mega brush day.... Storm still had to take his turn so he looks a bit scraggy... [ATTACH=full]30065[/ATTACH]

Wow..Actually the look to be fairly lean. It looks like they have a tuck up and they don't look pudgy.

The show lines here in the US tend to be wider through the rib cage than the working lines - or most of the dogs I've seen in pictures in the UK - and are often heavier in build (bone and muscle structures). I've found that with my dogs, they grow upward fairly quickly, usually, and have most of their height by about 7 months, but then continue to fill out - sometimes not totally maturing until 4 or 5! They will, however, be pretty well grown by 1.5 - 2 years of age.

Yes I've seen some show quality huskies here in California, they look very "pugdy". I wouldn't fat but the seem to be short on leg and their fur fluffs out. They hardly look like lean, hard working dogs. Which is why I'm working hard to keep Maxx nice and lean.

Wow..Actually the look to be fairly lean. It looks like they have a tuck up and they don't look pudgy.

Oh thank god - I haven't met up with the other members on a meet yet, I'd be worried they'd think I was feeding them pies or something....

We've just changed to BARF a week ago so the weights may change slightly but I can't imagine Storm dropping 10-15kgs I'd have to chop a leg or something off...:lolman:

Some of the show sibes I see look more like toys then anything :P Breed standard is 21-23 1/2 inches in males and 20-22 inches for females at the withers. 45-60lbs for males and 35-50lbs for females apparently that is the "extreme" of those and anything over that is disqualified from showing :S The length of the body from the point of the shoulder the the rear point of the croup should be slightly longer the the height of the body from the ground to the top of the withers. Marius is almost 23inches at his withers and he is 7 months old...so that kinda scares me becasue I am planning on showing him, he is from racing lines tho :P fingers crossed he doesnt grow anymore lol

Current trend in the show ring here in Iowa, last I saw, was quite small - almost miniature! I wasn't impressed.

Yes, I've noticed that too and I understand that sibes are not big, and supposed to medium-sized working dogs, but most show dogs don't seem to convey "work" at all.

And I'm pretty sure mine isn't show lines but I'm positive. This is him on his 1st birthday and he just recently started to blow his coat. post-4-13682711170152_thumb.jpg

post-5110-13586004379559_thumb.jpg

Yes, I've noticed that too and I understand that sibes are not big, and supposed to medium-sized working dogs, but most show dogs don't seem to convey "work" at all.

And I'm pretty sure mine isn't show lines but I'm positive. This is him on his 1st birthday and he just recently started to blow his coat. [ATTACH=full]30068[/ATTACH]

I will say I do LOVE the way some show dogs look but your right most do not to me convey a working dog.

Btw what a handsome boy :P

And I'm pretty sure mine isn't show lines but I'm positive. This is him on his 1st birthday and he just recently started to blow his coat. [ATTACH=full]30068[/ATTACH]

He looks more like the show lines, so probably has some in the background, anyway...

Oh thank god - I haven't met up with the other members on a meet yet, I'd be worried they'd think I was feeding them pies or something....

We've just changed to BARF a week ago so the weights may change slightly but I can't imagine Storm dropping 10-15kgs I'd have to chop a leg or something off...:lolman:

Yeah it is kind of weird, are they taller then 24 in at the withers?

You think so?

The thing is though he's not barrel chested, and he has a deep chest but it's not overly deep and he's relatively narrow from the front.

Not all show lines are - although compared to some of the racing lines they are generally broader through the barrel and chest. He's still fairly young - my boys often don't really broaden out until they're middle aged! My Raf, below, is 6-1/2 - he's out of a mix of show and sledding lines...

post-4-13682713776131_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13586004381893_thumb.jpg

Not all show lines are - although compared to some of the racing lines they are generally broader through the barrel and chest. He's still fairly young - my boys often don't really broaden out until they're middle aged! My Raf, below, is 6-1/2 - he's out of a mix of show and sledding lines...

[ATTACH=full]30072[/ATTACH]

ARGH I LOVE HEEEEEEEEM