Parents giving kids stupid names...

Elyse

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baby name rules:

1. When choosing a name for baby, imagine it is your lawyer's name. Would you really trust someone named Muffin or Shan’ee’quia to get you off that murder charge?

As an amusing sidenote - my lawyer's name is Doc Crooks.

i have two that top the list, a girl i know.

named her twins.

elecktra candy

wyaette phenoixx

and thats the correct spelling...

You should all takes bets on which will be the first to become a stripper! Wyaette Phenoixx gets extra points for being spelled wrong AND adding unnecessary letters!

My friend told me about a girl she new in school called La-a pronounce Ladasha!

My mom and I have the middle name Diann. I always thought it was a normal spelling but apparently not. Apparently my grandfather and the nurses didnt know how to spell Diane so they all decided on Diann when my mom was born lol.

Now when I was younger if I had a daughter I wanted to name her Arwen....yes from Lord of the Rings lol.

Now for some laughs....Dane Cook on naming his kids....

PsLefeSQ-9A

I always believed "Jos" was an easy name no one could ever spell or pronounce wrong, but then I went to foreign countries... :rolleyes:

Ok, so... how DO you pronounce it, then? (I would have said Joss with the o sounding like in "hot" or with a long o, as in Joe with an s at the end...)

Ok, so... how DO you pronounce it, then? (I would have said Joss with the o sounding like in "hot" or with a long o, as in Joe with an s at the end...)

Uhm, it's a bit tricky for me explaining in English how you should pronounce in the Dutch but okay, I'll try :P I've heard many variations in English as far as the J being pronounced as DJ and O being pronounced as the A in bar. For us there is no D in J so it's just the letter J, O as in hot and the rest is the same. Though I wouldn't mind that much if people call me different, but I DID had to get used to it on the April camp so I think I occasionally missed someone calling my name :D

Now the G and UI are even funnier. I don't even know how I should write how we pronounce the name Glala :D

Here's a video I saw earlier about a teacher explaining how to pronounce Huygens. Take note of the G :D

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/720381/fd019133/christiaan_huygens_uitleggen_aan_engelsen.html

Uhm, it's a bit tricky for me explaining in English how you should pronounce in the Dutch but okay, I'll try :P I've heard many variations in English as far as the J being pronounced as DJ and O being pronounced as the A in bar. For us there is no D in J so it's just the letter J, O as in hot and the rest is the same. Though I wouldn't mind that much if people call me different, but I DID had to get used to it on the April camp so I think I occasionally missed someone calling my name :D

Now the G and UI are even funnier. I don't even know how I should write how we pronounce the name Glala :D

Here's a video I saw earlier about a teacher explaining how to pronounce Huygens. Take note of the G :D

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/720381/fd019133/christiaan_huygens_uitleggen_aan_engelsen.html

I think that we need video of you, saying your own name for us - and Glala's, as well!

So do you still pronounce the 's' then? So it sounds more like 'dch-ahs?'

I had a neighbor who had a baby she named Rubanna ( combination of both grandmother's names - Ruby and Anna). (Rhymes with banana)

Adorable girl, but doomed by her name.

There is also a local Department of Natural Resources officer who married another DNR officer. Their children are (no kidding!) Hunter, Fisher and Trapper....

Guess if I have more kids I'll have to call them Wryter or Reportier. LOL

PS. For four legged kids I've had: Buddy, Pom Pom (Mother's dog - came with the name), Spike, Chance, Bo, Emily, and Ryn.

my kids are screwed....ive already named them and have none!!!

my boys

bevan micah

jared

my girls

wyntar rose

aurelia lily

LOL, I think your kids would be fine - except Wyntar. Why Wyntar? From what I could gather, it's rare even as a last name, and has no meaning as a name other than a severely butchered spelling of 'winter.' Just know that the kid would forever be explaining to people how to spell her name, and I know I see it and think it ought to be pronounced as Wyn-tar.

I like Bevan - an uncommon name, though up until the 20th century it was pretty well exclusively a last name and simply means "son of Evan." And I've always liked Micah!

Sorry if I sound critical - I've always been hugely interested in names and I'm big on what they mean and why people choose them.

And sadly, people DO pre-judge people - and often harshly - based on their names! We have an older woman who works for Human Resources whose name is Silver. Uncommon name in its own right, unusual, but okay. The unfortunate part is that her last name is Cherry. Silver Cherry gets no end to the jokes about prostitution, stripping and/or being a hippy - and she is none of these, by far. But the jokes about her name never end behind her back, people are always doing double-takes and repeating her full name in disbelief - even to her face - when they first read it on HR documents and emails. If she got a quarter every time someone asked "is that seriously your real name?" she'd be a millionaire!

Another funny thing people have to watch when naming kids - maybe we'll ad this as:

21. Say the full name before making a final decision. Mike is a perfectly acceptable first name, but not if your last name is Hunt (go ahead, say it out loud).

There is a guy running for mayor here this year whose name is Robert Loblaw. He goes by Bob. Bob Loblaw (again, say it!). And yes, he uses his name as a big part of his marketing gimmick - the first time he ran 20 years ago it was just to promote and increase voter turn-out - he actively didn't WANT votes for him, just to get people out there.

I did not read all the posts as for most of them and the not so good names had tears in my eyes form laughing so hard.

I was watching TV a few years back and our local station does 1year birthday anouncements and the broadcaster could not keep a straight face when announcing a little boy celebrating his first birthday named...SQUIRREL.

My cousin had a baby a few years back and named him huckleberry (although I am sure there was a family name there possible from his father????)

I Like odd names mind you some of them sound crazy like Apple as mentioned :P Theres a guy where I work his name is Thorn at first I thought it was Thor I was like lol but thats kool but turns out it wasnt. Whats about MJ's kid Blanket? was that even his real name or a nick name ? I dont really know Ive got some pretty unique names for kids when I have them. Did you know that in the usa in one state there are 1000 (give or take a bit I dont remember the exact number I just remember it was crazy) different spellings of unique registered as somones name

Which brings me to Viking names...yeah how to train your dragon says that crazy names are supposed to scare off your enimies....thanks Hiccup :P

I'm always fascinated by where names come from...and why people call their kids weird things. Having had an annoying surname (Burrett) before I was married and constantly having to spell it I would never give my kids a name that is the wrong spelling or some random ass name that I decided on a whim.

Names are important, they should be personal (to the parents/family), but not something that's fashionable. I named my son Joshua Andrew (Grady) because I have always loved the name and had it picked out since I was about 11 and I was lucky that when he was born he looked like a Josh! Hs initials also spell JAG...mikes dad always used to get called by his initials (which are MOG) and to be honest I hope that Josh"s school friends nickname him JAG...pretty cool to me! (yes I know it's a tv series...about navy lawyers!)

Oh I think Blanket was a nickname (or at least I hope it was!!)

oh and theres two twins in the school i work at called skye and bleu - and whats the cov footy team? yup the sky blues :/

tho people ask me if thats why we called blaze - what we did - for the hockey team coventry blaze - but we didnt even think of that when we named him

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/230488/names.mp3 (other format)

The ogg one is a free and open format whereas the mp3 isn't. I thought most browser supported ogg by now but I guess I was wrong :rolleyes:

It may be because I've a simple Macbook, and haven't loaded a whole lot of programs on it that would slow it down. I COULD open the mp3 just fine though - thanks! :)

When my wife was pregnant we decided that if it was a boy, I'd pick the name, and if it was a girl, Kathie could pick.

Being a big Springsteen fan had it been a boy....Bruce for sure, and when it was confirmed we were having a girl........

well Brucetta was ruled out straight away and so our daughter is called MEMPHIS!

Children are given their names for all sorts of different reasons though. I myself was named after Ian St John / Ian Callaghan (family big Liverpool Fc fans forever).