Parents giving kids stupid names...

Elyse

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that George Foreman had loads of kids boys and girls and he named them all George so he wouldn't get muddled up - or have I had a bit too much grape juicefor my memory to be reliable?:lolman:

I've heard that too, although I don't know if it's true or not... He HAS taken a few blows to the head, after all, so might well get a bit confused! :P

A co worker of mine's name is Isis and her brother Osiris and er can't remember other brother lol but was an egyptian god lol. I really like the unique names like that even Talon would be neat on the right person. Another co-worker of mine named her daughter Story THAT threw me for a loop. Honestly though it's better than having 7 people in your family named Debbie. . .THAT get's really dumb. Not to mention there's 6 other's in my best friend's family so we never freaking know which one we're talking about >_<

A co worker of mine's name is Isis and her brother Osiris and er can't remember other brother lol but was an egyptian god lol. I really like the unique names like that even Talon would be neat on the right person. Another co-worker of mine named her daughter Story THAT threw me for a loop. Honestly though it's better than having 7 people in your family named Debbie. . .THAT get's really dumb. Not to mention there's 6 other's in my best friend's family so we never freaking know which one we're talking about >_<

OMG Debbie is the WORST name in the world.

And I can say that because it's my name! Well, what everyone calls me, anyway. I've hated it since I was a little kid, and even moreso once I learned how common it is. Even worse, when I married my husband he has an aunt by the same name, so we have the same first AND last name. I had to hyphenate mine (after we both tried to travel to Mexico together and were interrogated at every. Single. Security. Checkpoint.), but since they're both complicated last names it's a freaking nightmare and I'm forever having to explain to people why I chose to hyphenate such an awful name.

Wanna email me at work? My address is deborah.valoisverhaeghe @ gov.sk.ca. They weren't supposed to put the whole thing on there, but they did. And spelling/pronouncing your name for every person you encounter in any format SUCKS ASS.

OMG Debbie is the WORST name in the world.

And I can say that because it's my name! Well, what everyone calls me, anyway. I've hated it since I was a little kid, and even moreso once I learned how common it is.

I have a soft spot for the name Debbie - it's also my sister's name (my favorite sibling, I might add! :P) - although she usually shortens it to "Deb". I can relate to the difficulties of having an uncommon last name, though - when I divorced, I kept my ex's surname, mostly because it was easier to not change it, but also because my maiden name is quite uncommon, and though it wasn't truly that difficult, nobody ever knew how to pronounce OR spell it!

I have a soft spot for the name Debbie - it's also my sister's name (my favorite sibling, I might add! :P) - although she usually shortens it to "Deb". I can relate to the difficulties of having an uncommon last name, though - when I divorced, I kept my ex's surname, mostly because it was easier to not change it, but also because my maiden name is quite uncommon, and though it wasn't truly that difficult, nobody ever knew how to pronounce OR spell it!

Heh, yeah, that's mostly what I go by too. The only people who ever calls me Deborah is my husband when he's super-pissed at me, or people who only see my name at work. For last names, I've always had that problem too with Valois. It's dead simple - if you're French. But people who aren't have no clue how to pronounce or spell it either! Verhaeghe, however, people don't even try!

Heh, yeah, that's mostly what I go by too. The only people who ever calls me Deborah is my husband when he's super-pissed at me, or people who only see my name at work. For last names, I've always had that problem too with Valois. It's dead simple - if you're French. But people who aren't have no clue how to pronounce or spell it either! Verhaeghe, however, people don't even try!

LOL!

Challenge Accepted.

Ver-hai-gee

One of my aunt's is named Debbie...but they always call her Deb.

Yeah, I would have pronounced it the same as Elyse did - the French, however, is beyond me!

I guess taking french from grades 1-9 was worth it...I can use it in everyday life! Yippie! lol

Although I don't know a lot of words, because I haven't taken it in years, but I know enough to get by if stranded in France/Quebec.

Vous Parlez Anglais, si vous plais?

I guess taking french from grades 1-9 was worth it...I can use it in everyday life! Yippie! lol

Although I don't know a lot of words, because I haven't taken it in years, but I know enough to get by if stranded in France/Quebec.

Vous Parlez Anglais, si vous plais?

Much prefer Spanish, thank you very much! I can actually read some French, but pronouncing it is generally beyond me!

SolitaryHowl and sutsibe - you'd both be right! Well, at least in the anglicized spelling anyway. My husband's grandfather got sick of people butchering the proper Belgian pronunciation - which is something like ver-*phelgm*-ack.

LOL, I didn't even want to bother taking his name. But he bitched and moaned about it so much that I caved.

Here's another one - when a friend of mine was growing up her best friend was Lashes.

Much prefer Spanish, thank you very much! I can actually read some French, but pronouncing it is generally beyond me!

Heh, yeah in Spanish, at least the pronunciation is always the same!

I work with premature babies, and some of the names they get called are hilarious. My favourite one this month was 'Master Lucky'. To be honest, my name is downright boring, which is why I shorten it. I was going to have unusual names for my kids too, but not stupid ones.

All my animals have unusual names :-), except Sam and Emmett, LOL.

my daughters nickname was lumpy, reason is my son was "bump" when I was pregnant.

so she became lump then lumpy and she has lots of heffalump thingsis?vowBsvxWMqsoYmdQpJyjmqItcHA2r7jm3m3bYoAosF4lumpy the heffalump.

Now she is older and keeps falling over ALL the time Lumpy is an appropriate nickname

I did know a Terrisa Green and a Justin Hyme that gave us loads of fun as kids.

Our two kids are called Reiss and Nile and no one ever spells there names right:banghead: my sister called her son Cameron it is also his second name. Not as bad as Ann Diamonds - Diamond Diamond.

My Nephew is Reiss too :)

SolitaryHowl and sutsibe - you'd both be right! Well, at least in the anglicized spelling anyway. My husband's grandfather got sick of people butchering the proper Belgian pronunciation - which is something like ver-*phelgm*-ack.

LOL, I didn't even want to bother taking his name. But he bitched and moaned about it so much that I caved.

Here's another one - when a friend of mine was growing up her best friend was Lashes.

Heh, yeah in Spanish, at least the pronunciation is always the same!

Always fun trying to figure out how how to get those sounds out that just don't exist in English, lol! Spanish is so wonderfully straightforward - although when I was teaching it, my students would sometimes really have difficulty even with it, at first...

My given name is actually Grace - I was named for my grandmother. Growing up with such an old-fashioned name, and especially since I was NOT a particularly graceful child, was tough! I would have really loved to have had a more common/usual name, so I could have blended in a little bit better. (I was always very jealous of my siblings - all of whom had much more "normal" names!)

Always fun trying to figure out how how to get those sounds out that just don't exist in English, lol! Spanish is so wonderfully straightforward - although when I was teaching it, my students would sometimes really have difficulty even with it, at first...

My given name is actually Grace - I was named for my grandmother. Growing up with such an old-fashioned name, and especially since I was NOT a particularly graceful child, was tough! I would have really loved to have had a more common/usual name, so I could have blended in a little bit better. (I was always very jealous of my siblings - all of whom had much more "normal" names!)

Between the ages of 6 and 10 I desperately wanted to change my name to Karen. I was so hung up on it!

I always wanted a middle name, but apparently my parents argued so much about one for me that it got silly, which is why I don't have one.

My brother and I are half Irish (Dad) and half French (Mom), although both families moved over many years ago (well before we were born). I'm not quite sure what happened as we both ended up with French names (I am Catherine, my brother is Matthew), neither of us go by our given names anymore, me preferring Cat, and my brother being called Waffle (not sure where that came from - one of his friends started it). I was always ahead in languages at school as we spoke three in our house (Irish, French and English). I also learned German in my final year. Now, I can just about speak English properly! LOL. I am learning Irish again though, as my cousins can still speak it.

I like unusual names, probably because my name is boring!

I'm big on names that reflect cultural heritage. My father's side of the family is French and Huron, while my mother's side is entirely Irish. A name from any of those cultures would have been fine, but instead I got a Herbrew name! Probably because both my parents are devout Catholics. I'm not, so I guess I kinda resent being named after someone in the Bible.