Commands

Dave

yep, but i dont use on trail, i use on by for a lot of things: straight on, keep going, leave that rabbit/squirrel/dog/cat/etc, stop pissing about lol basically its 'just run, in a straight line, with no messing about' to my guys

also line out, you say this to your leaders to get them to go to the end of the line, then wait, not run, this keeps the line taught so you can hook more dogs up easily

yes and training while walking help IMO mine do not need encouragement to start the running they get it as soon as they see me getting their X-backs ready, get in the car and make a lot of noise all the way to the woods....

• 1 month later...

How do you teach the dogs these commands though?

Using them on walks. If you turn left on a walk, say Haw. If you move over to the right side of the path, say Gee over. It's getting into the habit of saying them. Then gradually the dog associates the command with that particular movement and will perform it naturally.

I also use "on by" as sort of a, hey! Focus! type of thing.

Stacey xxx

keep it as simple as you can, too many commands will soon confuse your dog, also just because your dog understands these commands at walking pace doesnt mean he/she will understand them at running pace, corners happen very fast when your dog is running so until they get used to things i usually just tap the brakes a touch to get the teams attention just before i give the command.

nush