Puppy eating senior food?

Jessica K

Yea defo would give her the runs, the food will be too harsh on her stomach. If she was an older pup (technically still pups until 1year old!) it wouldnt be so much of a problem. My girl Storm is on normal dog food for a couple of months now because she got fussy and wouldn't eat her puppy food. I also give her raw chicken though too! Put the senior food away until she is older (great to have an emergency stash!) and go buy your normal food. Plus switching her between foods may upset her stomach also. Keep to what works with her!

So I've noticed being new to the husky world that she has a super sensitive stomach. I accidentally bought her senior food instead of puppy food. In anyone's experience, would this cause her to have the runs?

First of all, let me say that part of all this separation between different types of dog food is just marketing!!!!!

I don't think the senior dog would cause her to have the runs because it's a senior dog food and she is pup. More likely because of the change, but even so, the differences between senior, adult, puppy foods of the same brand are quite small and I highly doubt they have significantly different compositions.

I wouldn't sweat it, to be honest.

If you can return the food and her usual food, that would be great, but if not, try to mix a bit of the senior one with the usual food and see what happens. There is no guarantee it will give her the runs until you try it.

Also, we didn't feed our dog puppy food when he was a puppy, as it would give him the runs. Turns out an all life stages food didn't and the nutrients were staying in his body instead, unlike with many brands of "specially formulated" puppy food.

What brand is she on?

Yea defo would give her the runs, the food will be too harsh on her stomach. If she was an older pup (technically still pups until 1year old!) it wouldnt be so much of a problem. My girl Storm is on normal dog food for a couple of months now because she got fussy and wouldn't eat her puppy food. I also give her raw chicken though too! Put the senior food away until she is older (great to have an emergency stash!) and go buy your normal food. Plus switching her between foods may upset her stomach also. Keep to what works with her!

I kinda figured, I had given her a bowl last night and this morning she had a very messy accident waiting for me! :facepalm:

Thanks! :)

First of all, let me say that part of all this separation between different types of dog food is just marketing!!!!!

I don't think the senior dog would cause her to have the runs because it's a senior dog food and she is pup. More likely because of the change, but even so, the differences between senior, adult, puppy foods of the same brand are quite small and I highly doubt they have significantly different compositions.

I wouldn't sweat it, to be honest.

If you can return the food and her usual food, that would be great, but if not, try to mix a bit of the senior one with the usual food and see what happens.

Also, we didn't feed our dog puppy food when he was a puppy, as it would give him the runs. Turns out an all life stages food didn't and the nutrients were staying in his body instead, unlike with many brands of "specially formulated" puppy food.

What brand is she on?

Nature's receipe

Nature's receipe

Well I looked it up and there doesn't seem to be a major difference between the two formulations in terms of ingredients. But the senior one does have less protein and less fat. It's up to you to decide what to do, but I think trying to gradually mix it with the puppy version would be an option.

If you bought an entire bag and it has been opened, it probably won't last as long as 9 months.

Well I looked it up and there doesn't seem to be a major difference between the two formulations in terms of ingredients. But the senior one does have less protein and less fat. It's up to you to decide what to do, but I think trying to gradually mix it with the puppy version would be an option.

If you bought an entire bag and it has been opened, it probably won't last as long as 9 months.

I can try to put it into baggies or something. I didn't pay attention till i noticed that the shape of the food was different. :( I'll go buy another bag of puppy and then put what I can into zip lock baggies and save some at least :) I really appreciate both of you and your help! :) I am glad I found this forum :)

That a good idea if you've already opened it! I found my Storm had the runs when she was fed senior food at that age (it was an emergency-had to use older dogs food until I got paid the next day!) but shes alright now. Will pretty much eat anything. lol

It depends on the dog to whether or not they'll have the runs.

When i got my pointer puppy I didn't get his food included so i wasn't able to slowly change and I didn't know what they had him being fed on (i do now lol) but he never got the runs and they are completely different types :/

Not good you had a messy accident.