Sexually mature?

Tikaani'smum

Hi all

Tikka has come into season AGAIN....only 4 months after her last one!

Anyways, my question is - At what age are males at sexual maturity?

Reason being I also have Malakai who is still pretty young.

So far he is showing interest in Tikka's ladybits, and has been 'air humping' :oops: around her....but I'm getting worried as he's starting to realise what 'area' he should be going for and he's getting pretty close!

Tikka is having none of it at the minute, but in another week I have a feeling she'll be quite happy for him to have a go. He hasn't tried mounting her, but when she is lying down he'll get about a foot away and start humping.

He isn't doing it all the time, most of the time he doesn't seem bothered by her - but other times he just won't leave her alone....sniffing and licking her, following her around, not letting her settle etc.

Do I need to separate them, or is he too young to know what he's doing yet, and is it even possible for him to get her pregnant if he did succeed in having his wicked way, seeing as he's so young?

I was planning on getting Tikka spayed.......until she sprang this early season on me, and now I'm having to wait another 2 months after she's finished :rolleyes:

Any advice gratefully received....I don't want any babies in this house!!!

i'm not 100% sure but think they are able from about 6mths

but some1 who is in the know will no doubt be along shortly:)

i would watch them like a hawk just incase,maybe try putting some knicks on Tikaani

or get the bitch spray/tablets too

good luck

I would definitly watch them like a hawk any accident could result terribly for your girl she could die and so could the pups (if it came to that). Try to keep them apart dont leave ANY room for error. Your mans little soldiers may not be strong but as long as his balls have dropped hes got them in there :/

I am currently going through a similar thing as maya is on her first season and togo is just short of 6mths old so he is too young for the vets to neuter him... the first sign of her on heat, i went and got myself prepared and am keeping them in seperate rooms whenever i am not there with them and i dont even leave them alone for a single second. So far togo hasnt showed a great deal of interest, but he has def noticed something from all the sniffing.

I am using the bitch tablets and spray to try and mask the smell the best i can, but still would not trust them alone as i dont want no "little" suprises.

I won't be getting Malakai neutered for a while yet as he's too young, as I said I was expecting to get Tikka spayed this month until she sprang this surprise season on me! They aren't left alone at all, and if I do have to one is crated. I am well aware of any problems if Tikka got pregnant which is why I asked the question, I've tried to research the age of male sexual maturity but have got nowhere really, soooooo I turned to all of you :D I am not planning on breeding from either of my pups, but as I said this season was not supposed to be until January!!

You'll have to keep them separated. If his testicles have dropped, he'd be ready to go. It's not going to be fun, so get prepared.

I'd watch your boy really closely and keep them separated. My litter is an "oops" litter because I didn't realize my boy was a crazy escape artist until Kessel went into season this time. There had never been an issue with keeping them separated and this time, OMG! I crated him and he destroyed the plastic tray in the bottom of the crate. Next day he flipped the crate on its side and the latch came open. I lost a door jam, dry wall and flooring when I locked him in the laundry room away from her for 20 minutes. This is also when I discovered that while he wont jump a fence, he can chew through a fence board in 20 minutes and he would unravel chain link in the outdoor kennels and once I rewired it he would grab with his teeth and pull until he bled. He had never in 2 years showed any interest in escaping or destructive behavior. The moment she was done with her season he went right back to pure sweetness.

I spent about $500 over those weeks trying to improve our kennels and find some place quiet to put him so the neighbors didn't think we were being murdered. I had no idea what a monster my sweet boy could turn into! I know better now, but I can't tell you how embarrassing it is to have an "oops" like this! I finally had to crate her and let him be near her out of a crate to get any peace. I don't think I slept two hours together that whole week and a half.

I won't be getting Malakai neutered for a while yet as he's too young, as I said I was expecting to get Tikka spayed this month until she sprang this surprise season on me! They aren't left alone at all, and if I do have to one is crated. I am well aware of any problems if Tikka got pregnant which is why I asked the question, I've tried to research the age of male sexual maturity but have got nowhere really, soooooo I turned to all of you :D I am not planning on breeding from either of my pups, but as I said this season was not supposed to be until January!!

Be careful about the crate, from what I've read on here...they might even attempt to mate through the bars of the crate! Or would just destroy the crate all together!

Thanks for the help guys :)

I've had Tikka crated while Malakai is nearby, I've watched them like a hawk, they've been let out to toilet separately and have never been left alone.

Luckily Tikka's hormones must be settling after 3 weeks as Malakai is no longer interested and has gone back to just wanting to play. To be honest, after Tikka had stopped 'dripping' (sorry!) and had come into her receptive stage, even though he was interested she wouldn't let Malakai near her rear end. It was the two weeks before this that she was shoving her bum in his face! :jawdrop:

I know it is possible for her to still be receptive, and will still be watching them and crating where necessary for at least another week!

Thanks again and I hope Tikka will never have another season :D