112 - please read

Sarah

I know you dont all live in Dorset but a mobile is a mobile where ever you live I didnt know about 112 did you?

A bit of useful advice - verified by the Dorset Police.

The number does work from a mobile.

This actually happened to someone's daughter. Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college.

It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. When an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on.

Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages)

and have always told them NEVER to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road but rather wait until they get to a service station etc.

So Lauren remembered her parents' advice and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone.

This connected her to the police dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing blue light on his rooftop behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.

The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.

One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.

They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground...... ..the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car.

Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place.

You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did.

Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information.

So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112.

112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal.

This is good information that I did not know!

Please pass on to all your friends, especially any females

hi, i did know that 112 was like 999 for mobiles but you said its cos 999 doesnt work with no signal, do you mean 112 works when got no signal? i didnt realise you dont have to pull over for an unmarked car with a blue light though, thanks for that, the police should tell people that.

i did know about the 112 number

on the unmarked car thing i know what u mean we was on m42 the other day and a unmarked car come past and flashed red and blue lights the car infront pulled over and the unmarked car raced off and switched the lights off which we found a little starnge.

if any one watches road wars you will find the unmarked cars will usually pull in front of you to stop u not behind and also they should still be wearing uniform.

999 and 112 will work even when u have no signal, they swap onyo another neteorks signal to allow u to make an emergency call, the only time this fails is if no network has coverage in tgat area. 112 allows ure location to be better judge. When i was younger i was pulled over by a 'fake' unmarked police car! They said they haf been watching me for sometime and was under suspision of being a drugs tunner!!!! Wtf??? All because i used to drive around early hours of the morning and late at night!! They searched my car....of course found nothing and ley me get off on my way! Spoke to a friend the following day who was a police officer and she said she'd find out who it was.....she called me later that day to say there was no unmarked car on! Just lucky they wanted drugs and nothing else! Scary scary stuff......there's some wierdos out there!

I think that 112 is the european emergency code, so can be used all over the EU.

Slightly different topic, do people know about ICE? The advice is to put your emergency contact number into your mobile under the name ICE (In Case of Emergency). Apparently the emergency services will check for that, if ever they find you after an accident, or incident. Sometimes people don't have always 'home' or 'mum' etc, in their phones.

I think that 112 is the european emergency code, so can be used all over the EU.

Slightly different topic, do people know about ICE? The advice is to put your emergency contact number into your mobile under the name ICE (In Case of Emergency). Apparently the emergency services will check for that, if ever they find you after an accident, or incident. Sometimes people don't have always 'home' or 'mum' etc, in their phones.

I know about ICE - it's all over biker's forums & that is how my mobile phone book is set up (Steve (partner), Kyle (son) Adam (son) etc) so should the unfortunate happen, the police know who is who on my phone.

I too have heard about 112 being used as an emergency number, but did not know about unmarked cars .... interesting

I know about ICE - it's all over biker's forums & that is how my mobile phone book is set up (Steve (partner), Kyle (son) Adam (son) etc) so should the unfortunate happen, the police know who is who on my phone.

I too have heard about 112 being used as an emergency number, but did not know about unmarked cars .... interesting

Same here :) Not a member on any biker forums but can believe its all over them :D Should hope it is anyway!